1600 VN (Nomad) General - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1600

Old 11-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
ragincajun

Default 1600 VN (Nomad) General

New member. Test drove a 1500 today and loved the ride, also got a great recommendation from a friend who has owned a Nomad for years. I passed on the 1500 due to some issues with the bike but got a lead on a 1600 that I will be able to look at next week. Just browsing thru the recent posts and I don't see a whole lot of positives in the 1600 forum here, just a lot of issues. So I guess the big question is....is there anything good about the 1600's? Just trying to get a feel before committing to a particular bike and while I'm open to multiple lines and versions, I do like the size and girth on the Nomad (I'm a pretty big guy) and I definitely want something in the 1500-1800cc range. Posting here due to the specifics on the bike that I have a possibility to get soon.

Look forward to hearing some good insight as to the pros (and the cons) of the bike so I can make an informed decision.
ragincajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
Robs 1600 classic
Lifetime Premium

I love my 2005 1600 classic bought it 4 years ago no problems so far.
Robs 1600 classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
siriusjoe
Banned

You'll find most of the 1600 owners on another forum, they don't really hang out here very much.

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/

And I love my 1600 Nomad. (Except for the gas mileage...)
siriusjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragincajun View Post
New member. Test drove a 1500 today and loved the ride, also got a great recommendation from a friend who has owned a Nomad for years. I passed on the 1500 due to some issues with the bike but got a lead on a 1600 that I will be able to look at next week. Just browsing thru the recent posts and I don't see a whole lot of positives in the 1600 forum here, just a lot of issues. So I guess the big question is....is there anything good about the 1600's? Just trying to get a feel before committing to a particular bike and while I'm open to multiple lines and versions, I do like the size and girth on the Nomad (I'm a pretty big guy) and I definitely want something in the 1500-1800cc range. Posting here due to the specifics on the bike that I have a possibility to get soon.

Look forward to hearing some good insight as to the pros (and the cons) of the bike so I can make an informed decision.
What are you looking for in a bike? Do you want a shield/fairing, or open to the wind. Do you want room to stretch out? Are you dead set on a Nomad?

Also about not being anything good said, most people turn to forums to either show off their ride/mods/new goodies OR find help for their problems. I had one of the Kaw 1600s but it was a mean streak. They are a bit different than the rest of the 1600 line up.
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
SWVA_08V2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
ragincajun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWVA_08V2k View Post
What are you looking for in a bike? Do you want a shield/fairing, or open to the wind. Do you want room to stretch out? Are you dead set on a Nomad?

Also about not being anything good said, most people turn to forums to either show off their ride/mods/new goodies OR find help for their problems. I had one of the Kaw 1600s but it was a mean streak. They are a bit different than the rest of the 1600 line up.
Good questions. I actually just posted in the general thread trying to get some more info, all around info.

Short answer...No. It doesn't have to be a Nomad. I came to the forums since that's what I test drove yesterday and seems to be "good peoples"..lol.

I do like a shield, not necessarily a fairing although I do like those as well when (on rare occasions) it gets a little colder here in hell (I mean Houston). I'll do mostly local driving, although not into Houston itself...too many bike accidents in the city. I usually drive out north or east into the burb areas. But I do plan to make some trips on the bike as well. 3 1/2 to 4 hours to visit family and maybe an occasional long distance trip (already planning one with friends...just have to get the bike now... ).

As noted in my other thread, I like the longer, flared fenders (like the old Indians), rather than the short stubby tins. I'll want engine guards at some point if not already on the bike and probably bag guards too if they are hard bags. I'm really liking the hard bag look but I have a nice set of leather bags from my old bike I can use that were great too.

In all, I'm pretty flexible. Especially since I'm looking used and no telling what will pop up in that market from day to day. Would love a Goldwing but money IS an option that I have to keep in mind so I am back to a cruiser which is still great. Want something that rides well and is comfortable (even if I have to get a Mustang for it). I'm a big guy so I need something I can stretch out on a bit for comfort as well (6'3 and BIG..lol).
ragincajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
rkeeth487

Garage

I have the 05 1600 Nomad and LOve it.No problems at all.Have met a couple people
that have well over 100,000 on there bikes with out any problems.Just normal maint.
rkeeth487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
MJ 21A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragincajun View Post

I think the issues with the 1600 you are hearing about are just becuase the 1600 is newer then the 1500. I had both, and the 1600 is a better bike, most people would talk about the 1500 way back when it came out and years later they still are, now most have had it here for years and talk is about adding things, how great the bike has been, etc.. The 1600 is just a newer bike, adding to the basic 1500, most people will get the 1600 because its newer, come on the forum and ask about things they may feel are issues, want to change etc...so there is more talk about that only becuase the 1600 is new to the owner. Many who have owned the 1600 for years will tell you (just like the 1500 owners do now) just how great the 1600 is. I for one can say get the1600 over the 1500, you will not have any issues, well maybe you may get the bug to make it your own, start changing things, add chrome, intake etc...I know 1st hand..LOL. If you wait a few years people will be asking the same about the 1600 and 1700, just like you with the 1500/1600...........
2007, 1600 Nomad, Black and Chrome, Fairing/windshield w/Laminar lip, Cycle Sound Housing w/Stereo/GPS, Throttle lock/Assist, Handlebar raisers, HD chrome fork lowers, Head Light Modulator, Driving fog/spot lights, Trunk w/ top rack, backrest. Corbin Seat w/backrest, DeBaffled pipes w/valkyrie end tips, Intake, K&N air filter, FI2000, Top and side rails on bags. Foot pegs, Wolo horn, extra running lights in back, Some pinstriping and chrome to bring out the black.
MJ 21A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
Pretzel
Top Contributor

I'm 6'3" and "2 and a half bucks"... I just moved up from the 9'er Custom to the 1600 Nomad, and I *LOVE* it! If ya have specific questions, give me a shout! I'll answer any and all as you come up with 'em (maybe not instantly though ) It's a wonderful bike.
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption
Pretzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #9
Wiggy14

Bought a 2008 1600 Nomad just over 1 year ago and put 10,000 miles on it the first year. I am 6' 260lbs and this bike is so comfortable. I have put in many +350 mile days and have no complaints at all. The look, comfort and storage space make this bike one that I look forward to getting on whenever possible. After adding the V&H Duel Pipes it sounds amazing as well! You will not regret owning one!!!!
Wiggy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #10
Cagecam

I have a 06 nomad I bought 6 months ago and it had 15000 miles on it. Now I have 22000 on it and the ride is perfect. I am putting a tour pack on it for the wife. The stock seat is good if you put on a Alaskan leather sheep skin seat cover. I highly recommend this bike.
Cagecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement