Turning off the. Bike - Page 4 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 11-14-2012, 09:38 AM   #31
Denis

No hard and fast rule.

The one consistent thing is I always wait till the bike sets to idle and 99% of the time I'll stop the engine with the key. It's become second nature to reach down and turn it off. It also demands that you come to a complete stop and have the bike in neutral before you ease the clutch out (you never know if that light is for real...sure like the positive find neutral feature of the VN though). On all flat surfaces I'll stop the engine with the key. If I'm on inclines, at a complete stop and with the engine at idle, I'll stop the engine with the side stand. I'll then ease the clutch out and ensure the bike is locked in 1st gear, then follow through with the key. Depending where I am, I'll add the kill switch for "security" reasons...one additional step for those willing to try and off with it. It also checks the "interlockability" and "functionality" of all the associated items both at close and when I start the bike.

I'll lock the forks when I feel I need to. Went to a bike event one year. A guy on a Suzuki locked his forks but then couldn't get it to release. Aw man you should have heard him and seen the frustration as he was pecking away and litterally pealing off pieces of his bike!
Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 10:01 AM   #32
Comanche

Garage

You all ever wonder what pilots say about airplanes and the benefits, drawbacks, advantages or risks using this and that feature over the other? That's why they give pilots checklists to perform their safety checks and to fly safe. In similar habits we all should have our own checklists and keep riding safety in mind at all times which it looks like to me that you are all doing. Ride on everyone and keep posting. I enjoy reading everyone's input.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #33
stevenmrvl

Default I always

Leave mine in gear and shut it down with the kickstand. Have always let the motor rest a few seconds before putting it dow. No strange noises for me. I have gotten in this practice because of a friends Dad. When i was young his Dad fell over all over the time he would always forget to put kickstand down! I am almost in tears laughing so hard! He never did get hurt! But sure would be a sight seeing him pinned against a gas pump, as he went to fill up and pull up to pump not putting kickstand down and yelling for help! This memory is permanently in my brain! Just happy he did never get hurt!
stevenmrvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #34
Aleco

This is what I started doing, since started this thread.
After stoping completely, i wait a few seconds for the rev go down, after the engine is at idle i hit the kill switch, turn the key to the off position, take it out of the ignition switch, then turn the kill switch back to on, then if I'm not home or I'm going to be away from the bike where I doŽnt see it, IŽll lock the forks.
When IŽm back to the bike IŽll put the key in the start switch, put the engine in neutral wait for the FI are done then IŽll strat the bike, if itŽs not in neutral and the kill switch on, the IF wo'nt work, it has to be in neutral and the killswitch has to be on the on position. I have to turn the start switch off and back to on again if I try to start the bike and forget to perform one of this 2 steps. Is this normal or is this a sign of problems?
Aleco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #35
stevenmrvl

Default This does

Sound normal to me. As my bike does wants to be in neutral to start. I also wait for the fi to do its thing before starting.
stevenmrvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #36
oquirrhvulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmrvl View Post
Sound normal to me. As my bike does wants to be in neutral to start. I also wait for the fi to do its thing before starting.
I always park in first gear. When I start the bike I do slip it into neutral turn on the ignition, and let the FI do its thing before starting. I have not had any issues starting in first with the clutch pulled in though, however I have had trouble if I hit the starter before the FI has finished its noisy little performance.

I have never gotten into the habit of using the kill switch. The only time I have really stuggled to start the bike was at the Grand Canyon last spring. I was starting to go into panic mode when........you got it, I noticed the kill switch was on. I felt relieved and stupid at the same moment.

OEM Passenger boards
OEM Windshield Bag
OEM Engine Guard
Windshield Lowers
Phat II risers
Cobra Lightbar
Cobra Luggage Rack
Kury Triple Wammy
Mustang Seat and passenger backrest
oquirrhvulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #37
Aleco

Quote:
Originally Posted by oquirrhvulcan View Post
I always park in first gear. When I start the bike I do slip it into neutral turn on the ignition, and let the FI do its thing before starting. I have not had any issues starting in first with the clutch pulled in though, however I have had trouble if I hit the starter before the FI has finished its noisy little performance.

I have never gotten into the habit of using the kill switch. The only time I have really stuggled to start the bike was at the Grand Canyon last spring. I was starting to go into panic mode when........you got it, I noticed the kill switch was on. I felt relieved and stupid at the same moment.
I relate to that feeling......A LOT!
Aleco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #38
AZPoseur

Didja ever notice how you look around to see how many noticed your dumb mistake? I have done it on the boat, on both bikes, and on tractors I would sometimes leave the PTO on as additional safety, then forget.

I leave things undone when starting, like putting on seatbelt in the car or putting on gloves on the bike. This helps make sure the oil circulates before I go anywhere and put strain on the engine. I learned many years ago to turn on the ignition, let it think a couple of seconds and then start. I wait for the noise to stop on the bike.

Does the elevation at the Grand Canyon make any difference? Or do you already live up that high?
Old 11-16-2012, 05:26 AM   #39
SteveJB
Top Contributor

Aleco, I just read your shut down routine and I think you have to add "I put the kickstand down" or your next post will from under the bike!
SteveJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:33 AM   #40
SteveJB
Top Contributor

Not sure what the specific mechanical issue is, but in the 70s as they started adding anti-pollution devices to the engines (specifically catalytic converters) manufacturers started warning against push-starting. I think it has to do with pushing unburnt fuel into the exhaust system and fouling sensors. That said, I have push-started my Custom: the weekend I was 500 miles from home and the stator was busily frying itself and not charging the battery!
SteveJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement