Ruined my friend last night - Page 5 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > General Vulcan Talk

Old 11-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #41
Strompilot
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewind View Post
I left this forum a few months ago for another Vulcan forum. One of the things I like about the new forum is there's absolutely none of this comparison crap. Nobody ever posts threads like "ruined my friend last night," whatever the hell that means. You "9" guys need to grow up. As for you vivadude, offering your 900 to guys on Road Kings is an insult, and it's a sign of their generosity that they continue to let you tag along.

Sorry to say, but the one thing I learned from this forum more than anything else: Stay away from guys on Vulcan 900s. Too many of them are insecure, and in their constant need to prove something, they will compromise your safety. I'm sure that doesn't describe all of you, but it describes many of you, and enough to justify my prejudice.
C'mon, man, I think you're taking this all too seriously. I don't think anyone here that rides a 900 Vulcan is voicing any insecurities, and I doubt anyone here feels inferior to HD folks. You don't ride a 900, what do you care? Perhaps you should avoid this forum? Seriously, though, relax, chill, and just enjoy what goes on here.

'09 650 VStrom
Strompilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #42
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

I don't want to generalize, and I'm sure there are exceptions to every rule, but it seems to me like the weekend warrior, 2,000 miles a year riders are the brand bashers. The guys who pile on the miles are the ones who just aren't that concerned about what you ride. I do like a little ribbing with friends, like the other day a guy mentioned there was a promotion going on at a local Harley dealer and before he finished I said 'Yeah, a free bag of oil-dri with every new model sold' to which he replied 'Yeah and if you buy a Kawasaki you get a free bag of white rice!' It's all in fun.

Like it's already been said in this thread, it's not about superiority it's about surprising pre-conceived notions. A LOT of veteran riders are impressed with the 900 when they ride it. Not because it's God's gift to motorcycles, but because they have an idea about how a 900cc metric motorcycle should ride, and that's not the experience they get out of the VN900. I don't think my buddy thought my 900 was BETTER than his Road King, but I do think it was a lot better than he expected it to be.

I wouldn't mind a road king myself! It was a nice ride! But there were things that surprised me about it as well, both good and bad. After hearing all my Harley buddies tote build quality I was surprised to find the left grip was loose and there was a lot of plastic chrome on the bike. After hearing my metric buddies talk about how poor riding, handling, and sluggish Harley's were I was surprised to find it had plenty of pep, was smooth as butter, and laid into the corners effortlessly! The H-D Road King is definitely on my list of 'if I ever trade in my 900' bikes. Along with the VN1700 or even the Honda Goldwing.

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:24 PM   #43
Cagecam

I've been riding for 30 years. Three years ago I was in a car accident and it took me awhile to get back on a bike. I bought a Vulcan 900 and rode it for two years. A good bike but I didn't like being moved around on windy days. I sold it then got a 06 nomad and love it. Handles very well and good power and I don't get moved around on those windy days. Now I'm in the process of makin more of a voyager with the tour pack. I don't know yet about the big faring on the front. If I could do it over again I would get a newer voyager.
Cagecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #44
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cagecam View Post
I've been riding for 30 years. Three years ago I was in a car accident and it took me awhile to get back on a bike. I bought a Vulcan 900 and rode it for two years. A good bike but I didn't like being moved around on windy days. I sold it then got a 06 nomad and love it. Handles very well and good power and I don't get moved around on those windy days. Now I'm in the process of makin more of a voyager with the tour pack. I don't know yet about the big faring on the front. If I could do it over again I would get a newer voyager.
I'm in the process of converting my 900 into a mini-voyager. You ought to look into the stereo fairing options. It's an investment ($500 on up for a whole setup). I'm going on the cheaper side of the spectrum, with a $250 eBay fairing, 6x9 marine speakers and a Sony head unit. It'll run me around $600 or so. That'll give you a batwing fairing but one that is a little bigger and more substantial than the stretched-plexi type fairing (memphis shades, etc.), and of course the audio is nice for a long trip! If you don't want the audio, Tsukayu and Reckless also sell bigger, more 'substantial' fairings that don't have stereo equipment. I think Reckless even has one with a glove box.

I'm planning on doing the 6x9 one along with a couple of gauges as well. I'd like to install a tach, marine voltmeter, marine oil pressure gauge, and marine water temp gauge all on the fairing.

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #45
Vulcanrules

My buddy has a 900 classic. One day we swapped. He rode my 1500 nomad. He really liked being on a more substantial feeling bike, and i was tickled to be on a bike that felt so much easier to maneuver. Much lighter steering (narrow tire and light weight), and the slightly forward controls made it feel really chill to sit on. Everything is a compromise so it depends where your values lie.

But ive certainly sat on some bikes in the showroom that felt off. The concours is one bike- just felt big and chunky. Whatever that translates to in ergonomics. Another one was the v-rod. But thats for obvious reasons. Loved the technology but hated the ergos- feet and hands forward. I could feel my discs herniating just thinking about a ride of any distance.

Sent from my iPad using Motorcycle
Vulcanrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:25 AM   #46
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWVA_08V2k View Post
An Indian is on my bucket list of bikes. I did get the opportunity to ride a 99? model (the first year they were brought back by Indian of America).
Below is a good synopsis of the Indian's history. Hoping to get mine this coming year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_(motorcycle)
Old 11-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #47
Vulcanrules

Current Indian models: $26-38k usd
Nice bikes which gives em a chance... Maybe in 10 years theyll have more budget priced entries and the dealer network most would want. Victory owns the brand now, so theres hope!

http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/Pages/home.aspx

Vulcanrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:10 AM   #48
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcanrules View Post
Current Indian models: $26-38k usd
Nice bikes which gives em a chance... Maybe in 10 years theyll have more budget priced entries and the dealer network most would want. Victory owns the brand now, so theres hope!

http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/Pages/home.aspx

Hopefully. But one of the reasons I like them so well is that hardly anyone has them. I like being different. But as for the price, I like eating and having electricity better than trying to buy a bike that expensive.
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
SWVA_08V2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #49
RBS2

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
I do like a little ribbing with friends, like the other day a guy mentioned there was a promotion going on at a local Harley dealer and before he finished I said 'Yeah, a free bag of oil-dri with every new model sold' to which he replied 'Yeah and if you buy a Kawasaki you get a free bag of white rice!' It's all in fun.
At least something useful can come out of a bag of rice, like a meal or something! lol
  • Memphis Shades Zipper Pouch
  • Kuryakn ISO Grips - Black
  • Cobra Speedster Short Exhaust
  • K&N Air Filter
  • River Road Throw-Overs
  • Highway Bars
  • S&$T eating grins
RBS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #50
Vulcanrules

Intuh-tuh-tol<wheeze>tolerable!!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App