2011 Vaquero 1700 Audio Issue - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700

Old 11-15-2012, 07:44 AM   #1
Lunatic
Lifetime Premium

Default 2011 Vaquero 1700 Audio Issue

Having a weird audio system issue.

I've had the Vaquero a couple of weeks, and I often have the iPod playing while I'm riding. It has, on occasion, stopped. I just chalked it up to iPod gremlins. It always started back up later.

Last night on the way home from work, I noticed it actually played part of a song, skipped to the next song, and repeated this behavior for a couple of songs.

This morning on the way in to work, it stopped playing. The stereo would then display 'Kawasaki' like it does when you turn the bike on, would go to iPod, and would go through this cycle over and over again.

This behavior is repeatable. I've reseated the iPod, etc. If I disconnect the iPod, the stereo behaves normally.

I've checked all the connections, they're secure.

Would a defective iPod audio adapter cable cause this behavior?
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
vulcan 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
Having a weird audio system issue.

I've had the Vaquero a couple of weeks, and I often have the iPod playing while I'm riding. It has, on occasion, stopped. I just chalked it up to iPod gremlins. It always started back up later.

Last night on the way home from work, I noticed it actually played part of a song, skipped to the next song, and repeated this behavior for a couple of songs.

This morning on the way in to work, it stopped playing. The stereo would then display 'Kawasaki' like it does when you turn the bike on, would go to iPod, and would go through this cycle over and over again.

This behavior is repeatable. I've reseated the iPod, etc. If I disconnect the iPod, the stereo behaves normally.

I've checked all the connections, they're secure.

Would a defective iPod audio adapter cable cause this behavior?
It could be a bad cable but i had the exact issue about a year ago. I found out that the ipod was sitting in the storage box awkardly and pulling on the cable connection. Just readjust how the ipod is sitting so it doesn;t exert strain on the connection and see if that fixes the issue.
vulcan 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
Lunatic
Lifetime Premium

That's good information, Vulcan_06. I'll try it out without the foam insert involved and see if it makes any difference.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
rusty360

You have to use a flash memory iPod. If you use a hard drive type like the classic it will do that, somebody claimed it ruined theirs. I used a classic and had issues with it and bought a nano and it works with no problems at all. You may do a search this was documented on a thread some where on here.
rusty360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
vulcan 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
That's good information, Vulcan_06. I'll try it out without the foam insert involved and see if it makes any difference.
I'm glad you mentioned the OEM rubber insert. I found it unneccessary and too cumbersome. I don't use it. Instead I use some cut up foam rubber insulation material for a liner and still have storage space left.
vulcan 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #6
Lunatic
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty360 View Post
You have to use a flash memory iPod. If you use a hard drive type like the classic it will do that, somebody claimed it ruined theirs. I used a classic and had issues with it and bought a nano and it works with no problems at all. You may do a search this was documented on a thread some where on here.
Sure enough, I -am- using an iPod Classic. That might explain some skips.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
Lunatic
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan 06 View Post
I'm glad you mentioned the OEM rubber insert. I found it unneccessary and too cumbersome. I don't use it. Instead I use some cut up foam rubber insulation material for a liner and still have storage space left.
I can see how that might be putting strain on the connector. I'll give that a try.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #8
Lunatic
Lifetime Premium

Sure enough, when I toss out the foam insert the problem goes away. It must be pinching the cables/connector enough when everything is stuffed in there that it causes problems.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #9
rusty360

Well report back, mine would sometimes work for a while go haywire, unplug it and reinstall and would work for a while. Somebody also mentioned on the Kawasaki web site not to use a hard drive unit. Also reported was a classic iPod was ruined by using it on the motorcycle so be careful
rusty360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
BigA80

My brand new nano does the same thing other than the skipping. The stereo would shut off then come back on it hasn't done that in awhile. It still does switch back and forth from AUX to iPod. I think it's that $100 connector. I have even hooked my iPhone to it and it does the same thing. Either that or the stereo. Since I ordered the cable online and it is Kawi part my dealer won't just replace it since it didn't come from them. They will order me a new one if I pay for it which I think is BS. It's long to late to return it from where I bought it. But being a Kawi dealer and a Kawi part I don't see why they just can't replace it.

2011 Red Vaquero
iPod Adapter / TLC bag liners / KQR luggage rack + KQR mount kit / Kuryakyn: Hwy Pegs w/extensions -ISO grips w/mod -Bar end helmet locks / Thunder stk cover air kit/ PCV / Mustang seat w/backrest / V&H slash cut slip ons / Wrapped exhaust/ Med. tinted Clearview windshield

>2006 Suzuki Boulavard C50
BigA80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement