2011 Vaquero 1700 Air Horn - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
Lunatic
Lifetime Premium
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 790
Default 2011 Vaquero 1700 Air Horn

So, this weekend I installed one of those WOLO air horns from Discount Auto on the Vaquero.

Honestly, it was pretty easy to install. I hooked it up with the supplied relay. I wasn't sure if it was safe to use accessory power or not (Or where exactly I might find accessory power on the front of the bike), so I just ran a wire for power direct to the battery (with a fuse, of course).

I installed it using the same bracket the OEM horn used. The thing that took me the longest was bending that bracket around until it was in just the right position and I was happy with it. If anyone else does this, save yourself a trip to the store and pick up some of those star shaped lock washers. The weight of the horn on the bracket was causing a problem with the bracket slipping.

After hearing how loud the horn was, I've got to admit I laughed my way through the rest of the installation.

I'd be curious about alternate mounting positions folks have used, specifically on the Vaquero.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
Old Bear
Lifetime Premium
 
Old Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Clarksville, TN
Posts: 2,358
Default

I mounted mine on the stock post with an L bracket. I really think that is a perfect location. It's out of the way, not obviously visible, but exactly where it needs to be for effect.
Old Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
Lunatic
Lifetime Premium
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
I mounted mine on the stock post with an L bracket. I really think that is a perfect location. It's out of the way, not obviously visible, but exactly where it needs to be for effect.
Yeah, I wasn't real happy with bending the hell out of the OEM bracket like I did. Was kind of worried about metal fatigue, but it seems sturdy enough.

It survived the High Speed Highway Ride To Work Test this morning, so I guess I did something right.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
matt7even
Senior Member
 
matt7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
So, this weekend I installed one of those WOLO air horns from Discount Auto on the Vaquero.

Honestly, it was pretty easy to install. I hooked it up with the supplied relay. I wasn't sure if it was safe to use accessory power or not (Or where exactly I might find accessory power on the front of the bike), so I just ran a wire for power direct to the battery (with a fuse, of course).

I installed it using the same bracket the OEM horn used. The thing that took me the longest was bending that bracket around until it was in just the right position and I was happy with it. If anyone else does this, save yourself a trip to the store and pick up some of those star shaped lock washers. The weight of the horn on the bracket was causing a problem with the bracket slipping.

After hearing how loud the horn was, I've got to admit I laughed my way through the rest of the installation.

I'd be curious about alternate mounting positions folks have used, specifically on the Vaquero.
I installed mine in the same location and had the same troubles with the bracket slipping off the bike and finding the horn hanging off the frame by the wires! Fixed it by bending a large washer and putting a heavy duty zip tie around the bracket. The only issue I ran into later is that the rear of the front fender had some noticeable scratches on it from coming in contact with the horn when hitting large bumps or sudden stops! Since then I have padded the horn with cut pieces of mouse pad to prevent any further damage to the paint.
__________________
2009 1700 Nomad (Ebony)
Xetronic G2 HID kit
Painted brake disks
Kawasaki light bar
Kuryakyn power point
RAM phone mount
Kuryakyn speakers
Scootworks engine chaps
National speedometer cowl
Wolo air horn
Oxford heated grips
Optronics driving lights
Vaquero engine emblems
Mustang touring seat
RAM drink holder
Kawasaki bag liners
Irons in the Fire rack
Kuryakyn Triple Play tail light
Cobra Tri-Oval exhaust
LED rear accent lights
Goodyear tripletred (Darkside 205-16-60)
matt7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
Lunatic
Lifetime Premium
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt7even View Post
I installed mine in the same location and had the same troubles with the bracket slipping off the bike and finding the horn hanging off the frame by the wires! Fixed it by bending a large washer and putting a heavy duty zip tie around the bracket. The only issue I ran into later is that the rear of the front fender had some noticeable scratches on it from coming in contact with the horn when hitting large bumps or sudden stops! Since then I have padded the horn with cut pieces of mouse pad to prevent any further damage to the paint.
I tightened the hell out of that bracket. So far between that and those little star-shaped lock washers it hasn't moved - but I keep checking.

Glad you mentioned the fender. Scratches like that drive me bats. I'll make sure there isn't enough bounce in things to cause damage.

Mouse Pad...LOL!
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
matt7even
Senior Member
 
matt7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
I tightened the hell out of that bracket. So far between that and those little star-shaped lock washers it hasn't moved - but I keep checking.

Glad you mentioned the fender. Scratches like that drive me bats. I'll make sure there isn't enough bounce in things to cause damage.

Mouse Pad...LOL!
I may have to look into those star washers. The large bent one I am using works but barely. The large zip tie is probably actually doing most of the work to keep that darn horn in place.

Yea luckily I got the front fender replaced after an accident so it looks good as new now. =)
__________________
2009 1700 Nomad (Ebony)
Xetronic G2 HID kit
Painted brake disks
Kawasaki light bar
Kuryakyn power point
RAM phone mount
Kuryakyn speakers
Scootworks engine chaps
National speedometer cowl
Wolo air horn
Oxford heated grips
Optronics driving lights
Vaquero engine emblems
Mustang touring seat
RAM drink holder
Kawasaki bag liners
Irons in the Fire rack
Kuryakyn Triple Play tail light
Cobra Tri-Oval exhaust
LED rear accent lights
Goodyear tripletred (Darkside 205-16-60)
matt7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:45 AM   #7
Lunatic
Lifetime Premium
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt7even View Post
I may have to look into those star washers. The large bent one I am using works but barely. The large zip tie is probably actually doing most of the work to keep that darn horn in place.

Yea luckily I got the front fender replaced after an accident so it looks good as new now. =)
Thought I'd upload a picture of the mess I made. There's actually quite a bit of clearance. The picture may make it look like the horn is touching the radiator, but it's not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20121116_083042.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	14228  
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
matt7even
Senior Member
 
matt7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
Thought I'd upload a picture of the mess I made. There's actually quite a bit of clearance. The picture may make it look like the horn is touching the radiator, but it's not.
Thanks for uploading the pic. I see now what you did with bending the flange which is a good idea. The downward angle should give you some additional clearance. My Wolo finally broke lose this weekend when I hit a bump while in a right right turn. The fender hit the horn so hard that it busted out of it's seating but luckly I was able pull over before the wires possibly gave way. Was going to try to mount it on the left/ front engine mount beside the shifter but I may give your method a shot first.
__________________
2009 1700 Nomad (Ebony)
Xetronic G2 HID kit
Painted brake disks
Kawasaki light bar
Kuryakyn power point
RAM phone mount
Kuryakyn speakers
Scootworks engine chaps
National speedometer cowl
Wolo air horn
Oxford heated grips
Optronics driving lights
Vaquero engine emblems
Mustang touring seat
RAM drink holder
Kawasaki bag liners
Irons in the Fire rack
Kuryakyn Triple Play tail light
Cobra Tri-Oval exhaust
LED rear accent lights
Goodyear tripletred (Darkside 205-16-60)
matt7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
Lunatic
Lifetime Premium
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 790
Default

Yeah, I tried to search for an alternate mounting place but really out in front there seems to be the easiest. Glad the picture helped.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
Old Bear
Lifetime Premium
 
Old Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Clarksville, TN
Posts: 2,358
Default

I my puny brain can remember and I can get good lighting, I'll get some pictures of mine with the L bracket. The legs of the bracket are only about an inch long, and that allowed me to tuck both the horn and the relay up real nice and tight. I did use Locktite to prevent vibrations from loosening the bolt. The big plus was no bending!
Old Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum Ducati Scrambler Forum