knocking/rattle noise from cold/cool engine - Page 5 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700

Old 11-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #41
TX1677095

Location: Deep in the heart of the NW part of a major metro area in the SE part of a very large SW state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Hammer View Post
Arguments about synthetic vs. dino don't accomplish much
No arguments, just facts. The world is not flat, the moon is not made of cheese, conventional oils are not superior to synthetics. Some myths die slowly, others take some time.
"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand
TX1677095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #42
TX1677095

Location: Deep in the heart of the NW part of a major metro area in the SE part of a very large SW state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAudiDoc View Post
and It was valve train noise....I can't explain it but damn it's better....a lot better
Of course it is, your problem is solved. Add some Slick 50 or some STP to the crankcase and it will probably get better yet.
"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand
TX1677095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #43
Bubba in TX
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Slick 50...... that's the ticket..... too bad it's not the original Teflon version any more like we used in the Air Force 30 years ago. That stuff was slick (duh) .......... it would fix almost anything..... (not really) but NASA liked it....

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

U.S.A.F. Retired
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired

Bubba in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #44
TheAudiDoc

update....did 500 miles on the new oil and the noise is 90% gone....i can barely hear it for the first 2-3 miles after a 4-5 min warmup
Trailer hitch Bad boy air horn Drivers back rest
Sheep Skin Seat & back rest covers
Trunk rack Phatrisers Handlebar risers
14 dark tint Windshield Passenger foot pegs
Slip on mufflers Gps mount Cup holder
fr. fender rails, ISO grips, billet dipstick
wrapped headers
TheAudiDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #45
Vulcan Hammer

Quote:
update....did 500 miles on the new oil and the noise is 90% gone....i can barely hear it for the first 2-3 miles after a 4-5 min warmup
I don't dispute your current results, but I'm probably not the only one who finds it hard to understand why simply switching from 10w40 Synthetic to 10w40 Dyno Oil was the cure.

From your posts it would seem that the Valve Train Noise was not present when new and either became progressively worse or suddenly appeared after many miles. To me, this would indicate that the oil passages to your lifters may have become restricted...either progressively with sediments/carbon or suddenly when something large like a metal chip blocked a singular passage.

It would seem more likely that the Act of Changing Oil, not the Type of Oil was what finally flushed out the oil passage(s) and allowed your valve train to be lubricated properly.

Did you happen to use any flushing solvents like Sea Foam before you changed the oil?
Vulcan Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #46
TheAudiDoc

I change my oil every 3750 miles...never use any cleaners(sea foam)....started semi synthetic at 6000 miles .... the noise got progresively worse after the mobil 1 10w40 full synthetic went in at 26000 miles... now in 500 mile its mostly gone!! say what you want but i belive it was the oil and whatever properties that the conventional has over the synthetic! remember this bike was engineered to run on dino oil NOT synthetic.... I know in my 22 years wrenching on cars that the wrong oil can cause problems and i have seen it in person. so this is not so far fetched as you may believe!
wrapped headers
Old 11-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #47
TheAudiDoc

and why did the noie get worse when I went to full synthetic???????????? it was 50% quieter the previous fall with the semi-synthetic in
wrapped headers
Old 11-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #48
Vulcan Hammer

Quote:
and why did the noie get worse when I went to full synthetic???????????? it was 50% quieter the previous fall with the semi-synthetic in
I think that I suggested why that might be the case...

"From your posts it would seem that the Valve Train Noise was not present when new and either became progressively worse or suddenly appeared after many miles. To me, this would indicate that the oil passages to your lifters may have become restricted...either progressively with sediments/carbon or suddenly when something large like a metal chip blocked a singular passage."

There is likely more involved in this case than simple noise dampening characteristics from one type of oil to another.
Vulcan Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:04 AM   #49
nukemaker

Thats great to here Audidoc but my knock is still there under load when cold for about the first 10-15 klms pretty much in all first five gears??.and like i said in my previous post i've used dino oil from day 1.
nukemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #50
twowheeladdict
Top Contributor

Garage

I am not going to get into dyno vs synthetic as I do run synthetic in the 1700.

I do know that the old Voyager XII ran much better on rotella dyno oil than any other. I think it had something to do with foaming the oil or something. The majority of complaints about noise in the top end were solved by running Rotella, and putting in an exact amount of oil as specified by the Voyager XII guru who owns over 40 of those bikes and supplies parts and maintenance for them.

see my garage for list of accessories
twowheeladdict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement