Painting the heat shields - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700

Old 06-10-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
William C

Default Painting the heat shields

I would like to paint part of the heat shields with black. Has anybody done it or know a place to do it?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
William C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
tstorey823
BOTM Winner, April 2013

Garage
Default heat shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by William C View Post
I would like to paint part of the heat shields with black. Has anybody done it or know a place to do it?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
I haven't thought of doing that, but if I did decide to, I would have them powdercoated or better yet, ceramic coated. Ceramic coating dissipates heat rapidly. Supposedly, 10 minutes after shutting off the bike, you can grab the pipes bare handed because they're already cool.
tstorey823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
William C

I do not like ceramic coating. Do you think powercoat support high temperatures?
Old 06-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
tstorey823
BOTM Winner, April 2013

Garage
Default powdercoating

Quote:
I do not like ceramic coating. Do you think powercoat support high temperatures?
Yes, there is high-temp powder coating.
tstorey823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
William C

I will take a closer look to powder coat. Thanks
Old 06-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
R_W_B
Top Contributor

I painted mine with Rustoleum BBQ paint bout 9 months ago. It was rated at 1200* F. I pulled the shields, sanded and painted them in the shed.

At first the paint wasn't very durable and I scuffed it putting them back on. So I touched it up by resanding and stuffing paper behind it in place. I was careful then not to get on it with my boot heel till I road the bike a good while. After the pipes got heated up throughly the paint fully cured and it's held fine now ever since.

The paint has ceramic particles in it and it doesn't hold good till they heat and melt down. Also what ever you are painting over make sure it's sanded thoroughly before painting. Doesn't have to be a deep coarse grit but it does need to be sanded everywhere for it to grip.

BTW my shields are Vance & Hines and they were powder coated new. But the powder started to fade a funny color as they got older (my bike is an 07) so I painted them a gloss black.

Here's a pic (excuse the battery cover I had off)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HeatShields.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	11642  
R_W_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
William C

Thanks for the respond and the picture. Your bike looks very nice. I don't have your skills to paint my pipes. I will take my bike to a paint shop. I just need to know what the best place is to take my bike.
Thanks again
Old 11-15-2012, 12:17 AM   #8
CCPcoatings.com

Quote:
I'm curious why you "don't like" Ceramic Coating but are interested in Powder Coating.......

19330 Mt. Elliott
Detroit, MI 48234
CCPcoatings.com
CCPerformance.com

info@ccperformance.com
CCPcoatings.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #9
R_W_B
Top Contributor

Quote:
I have asked powder folks in the business and they say the ceramic powder coatings are the "only" ones that are high heat durable. The other (mostly epoxy based) powder coatings are durable but not as able to withstand heat near as much.

In fact, the 3 different powder shops that I talked with told me they would not garuantee any powder "except ceramic" on heat shields. The other powders are fine for handlebars, luggage racks etc, but for heat sheild they said it needs to be a ceramic based powder.

BTW my BBQ painted heat shields continued to chip off when ever I hit them with my boot. I was gonna get them powdered (for $104 locally) but instead I traded the bike in on my Nomad. I told the Kawa dealer up front that they had BBQ paint on them and that they should have a good powder job to be permanent. I was satisfied with the trade they gave me.
R_W_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #10
Einstein
Lifetime Premium

Garage

My next investment is to take the shields off and have the ceramic coated to try and match the motor, black of course
<SOLD> 2004 BobRR
VROC #9925
Dinosaur R/G #128
Phoenix, AZ
Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement