Pig in a poke- - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 500

Old 10-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #11
old sinner

Default Update-

Got some help from a really good parts guy, removed starter, applied 12 volts, seems locked up. Gonna try to find a rebuild shop, more later.
old sinner
old sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #12
old sinner

Default Update-

Found a starter rebuild shop, taking it in tomorrow. Pulled carbs, main needle at diaphram had a rough spot as well as the bore, much better, not sure I got it all. Rubber in great shape, some screws in covers rounded. Would like to be able to identify the needles. any help greatly appreciated. Hope this pig not locked up, will have starter Mon.or Tues. My guess is the carb with the sticky needle was giving someone a fit.
old sinner
Old 10-10-2012, 11:48 PM   #13
old sinner

Default More Pig Stuff-

To update on my pig in a poke, my wife measured 7 quarts of oil from the pig, that may be a record- On the starter shaft I sprayed a little Du Pont teflon multi use lube, sorry for the wrong terminology. Tho the battery charged up to 12.6 volts, when I put my digital volt meter across the terminals , switched on the ignition, the voltage dropped to 8 volts.
So a new battery cleared up lots of problems, engine not locked up, I have high hopes of getting a good bike.
But no fuel from the tap, bought a kit locally, did not fix, any experts on this job? Not sure how the diaphragm on the output side of the fuel tap works, all input appreciated.
Ed, old sinner
1990 Vulcan 500
Old 11-13-2012, 11:47 PM   #14
old sinner

Default The Pig runs!

In neutral any way, starts instantly and learned a bit about dead battery's, dirty carbs, vacuum fuel tanks, spark plugs really weak, did a lot bassakwards.
Clutch cable very stiff, that is no clutch at all.
old sinner
Old 11-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #15
Bokobob

Default seven quarts of oil

OldS> did the drained oil smell like gasoline by any chance?

I admire your tenacity in getting it going.....I'm glad the engine is running....

Keep us informed..
Thanks,
Old Bob
Bokobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #16
Comanche

Garage

Yeah, I'm interested in seeing you getting it running good. Nice ride Bob.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #17
old sinner

The oil did not smell of gas but the air box was wet with gas and the blue smoke rolled out for about 5 minutes when I finally got pig running. Prolly from the 7 qts. of oil I drained. I could not believe how good it ran-
Thanks for the good wishes Comanche.
The best to all who responded and helped me, old sinner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement