cam chain noise - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1600

Old 11-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #11
CRUISERDON
Top Contributor

Garage

Kaw doesn't do the extenders, they were contrived by an astute mechanic, machinist, who didn't want to spend the money, time, and labor to redo the chains. Many people have used them to gain time, before the enevitable and or sold out to some shmuck without any warning. They work but as stated, the worn chain allows the cam's to retard with the wear. And worn chains wear faster as they wear ! The new Kaw chains are better than the old ones. Do as you want to.
'97 VN1500 91 Cubes Of Custom CLASSIC
original owner
Vance & Hine 2to1
engine, forks, ignition & carb mod's
WebCam cam & rockers hard weld & grind
NEW TOP END, NO LOOKS ALL GO GO
Maxx intake manifold system & super G carb 44mm
CRUISERDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #12
Degreaser
Banned

I bought a 2.5 inch long 27mm bolt with 2 nuts and a 27mm wrench, used the head of the bolt to remove spark plug tubes to check for cam chain wear marks.
Degreaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #13
Kim

Thanks Cruserdon for clearing this up. I refuse to cut corners on this ride if the chains need changing then that is what will happen.It doesn't let me down so I will do the same for it .
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #14
Kim

Thanks Degreaser. I will do that to check it out.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:25 AM   #15
Degreaser
Banned

Ok, something strange is going on in this thread on cam chain noise in the Vulcan 1600 folder. I just got a email for a new post made by 07vulc to this thread, then when I opened this thread to read the new post, I can't find that new post, then I started reading this thread from the beginning, and I see a reply to a previous post but that previous post is also missing, so that's the 2nd strange thing, also, I see that some here are giving misleading and false information about retarded cam timing. I don't know what's going on in this threat, but something strange. Also I recommend that persons who don't know what they're talking about please refrain from giving bad advice.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #16
Kim

Hi Degreaser.I know what you mean about the missing post. and this is getting confusing on whether to do the extenders or change the chains.One says one way and one says the other. Both beveling that they are right. I don't Know what to do ??? What is your take.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #17
Kim

Default confused

Hi 07vulc what you say sounds legit as dose your critics.I don't know which way to go ?? I guess I will have to do further reserch to get to the bottom of this. I surley would like to do the extenders if it is the correct thing to do. Thanks
Old 11-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #18
Degreaser
Banned

I bought cam chain extenders from Chucksters web site, with them in hand and after reading gadgets web page on doing this job, I removed the rear cam chain tensioner body on my 2004 1500 at 33,000 miles, and carefully used a hacksaw to cut thru the stock extender, then used a screw driver in the cut to break off the remaining stock extender, I was careful not to damage the rod teeth on the tensioner rod, then I dabbed on some red locktite and installed Churksters extender, then hand held the rod with gloves and used a hammer to make sure the extender was on the rod securely then let it sit for half an hour for the locktite to harden, then I retracted the rod inside the tensioner body and installed it back on the rear cylinder, then used gadgets procedure to release the rod and it clicked into place against the cam chain. After doing the rear tensioner I went to the front cylinder and repeated the same procedure. The whole job is not all that hard to do accept for my personal paranoia of a falling off extender into the crankcase, but I am naturally paranoid anyways to begin with. My take on this is definitely go the Chucksters extenders route and bypass the new cam chain install idea, a new cam chain is not necessary because with extenders on your stock cam chain, that chain is only going to stretch so far and then no more, so putting on extenders will solve the issue.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #19
CRUISERDON
Top Contributor

Garage

>I see that some here are giving misleading and false information about retarded cam timing.<
Degreaser, How can you say this ? Lets hear you prove me wrong !
As to the strange things There are two active threads going on with slightly different titles but same subject.
'97 VN1500 91 Cubes Of Custom CLASSIC
original owner
Vance & Hine 2to1
engine, forks, ignition & carb mod's
WebCam cam & rockers hard weld & grind
NEW TOP END, NO LOOKS ALL GO GO
Maxx intake manifold system & super G carb 44mm
CRUISERDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:31 PM   #20
big worm
BOTM Winner, December 2013

well degreasser i dont think anyone said that the extenders dont work (meaning they will take up more slack in the chain and stop them from rubbing the spark plug tubes) but a fact is a fact as the chain stretches the cam timing does change!!!!
Pioneer (for now) 6X9 2-way speakers
Flh hardbags
Mustang "daytripper" seat
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
Homemade intake with K&N filter
big worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement