Ruined my friend last night - Page 4 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > General Vulcan Talk

Old 10-31-2012, 10:31 AM   #31
inthewind
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivadude View Post
I've had my 900 for 4 years and none of the guys I usually ride with( that all own Road Kings) have accepted my invitation to take my bike for a spin...I think they know they would be fairly impressed with it.
I left this forum a few months ago for another Vulcan forum. One of the things I like about the new forum is there's absolutely none of this comparison crap. Nobody ever posts threads like "ruined my friend last night," whatever the hell that means. You "9" guys need to grow up. As for you vivadude, offering your 900 to guys on Road Kings is an insult, and it's a sign of their generosity that they continue to let you tag along.

Sorry to say, but the one thing I learned from this forum more than anything else: Stay away from guys on Vulcan 900s. Too many of them are insecure, and in their constant need to prove something, they will compromise your safety. I'm sure that doesn't describe all of you, but it describes many of you, and enough to justify my prejudice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 10:53 AM   #32
big worm
BOTM Winner, December 2013

where is the love?
Pioneer (for now) 6X9 2-way speakers
Flh hardbags
Mustang "daytripper" seat
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
Homemade intake with K&N filter
big worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:08 AM   #33
Blockhead
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewind View Post
I left this forum a few months ago for another Vulcan forum. One of the things I like about the new forum is there's absolutely none of this comparison crap. Nobody ever posts threads like "ruined my friend last night," whatever the hell that means. You "9" guys need to grow up. As for you vivadude, offering your 900 to guys on Road Kings is an insult, and it's a sign of their generosity that they continue to let you tag along.

Sorry to say, but the one thing I learned from this forum more than anything else: Stay away from guys on Vulcan 900s. Too many of them are insecure, and in their constant need to prove something, they will compromise your safety. I'm sure that doesn't describe all of you, but it describes many of you, and enough to justify my prejudice.

You've been gone a few months? Welcome back, we've missed you!
Old 10-31-2012, 12:24 PM   #34
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

It's been said a million times. The 900 doesn't do anything perfectly, but it does everything well. It doesn't tour like the voyager, haul like the V2K, or get the MPG of the 500, but it's somewhere in the middle of all of those. It's a good bike. I don't think anyone is saying someone jumped off a Harley and went "Holy cow this is the holy grail of motorcycles!". They jumped off of a big Harley and hopped on what they believed to be a 'little' bike because of the small displacement. They found that the ergos and size of the bike are about the same but with much less weight, and it has much more power than they expect, and they are able to keep up with their Road King in it. In a drag race? No, but there's no reason the two can't stay together in a little 'spirited riding' around some twisties, and that impresses people because of what they have pre-conceived about a 900cc motorcycle. Truth is technology has changed, and you need so much more than displacement to tell the story.

Also, these aren't strangers. The people who have ridden my bike are some of my closest friends, and some family members. I love to swap bikes with friends, it's fun. It wasn't an 'insult' to him it was just fun. We were out riding, and actually, HE offered. We were waiting on his wife to come back in from a 'pit stop' and I was looking at some new highway pegs he put on the bike. He invited me to sit on it and see where they fit, and then he said "You know I've always wanted to ride one of these why don't we swap?". We were both impressed! The Harley was top heavy and harder in low speeds, but, had excellent torque for pulling steep hills at low speeds in high gear. Also very smooth and very comfortable. He said my bike was faster than his. I don't think it was faster, I think he was so surprised in the power of that 'little' 900, that it was faster than he expected. Though he also rode it to my wedding and actually road it for 45 minutes to the church then, on the interstate, etc. with my CMA chapter who were all there. I didn't want to ride and deal with my tux, so he rode it there and the wife and I got some of our pictures on the bike. He said it was like a Cadillac and that it was really fast! Again, this is someone who has ridden big twin Harley's for 30 years, I think he's just really impressed by what this 900cc metric can do, it's not what he expected.

Not everyone is a snob. It's not a 'privilege' to ride with these guys these are my friends. Some of them ride metrics, some Harleys, some both! One guy rides a 1700 Voyager, and has a '47 Harley in his garage he rides every once in a while. It's just about riding, not about being a bunch of tough guys trying to be cool.

I don't care what you ride. Just ride. That's not what being on a motorcycle is about for me, it's about the ride. Anyone can buy a Harley. It's just a machine, it's just money. There's nothing 'special' about being an owner of a Harley, or a large displacement metric, or anything else. If that's what you want go for it! I'm sure at some point in the future I'll be on a bigger twin bike (Metric or Harley, depends on what my options are then!). It's not a birthright or some sort of special thing... it's just something you bought.

Keep the shiny side up folks!

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:15 AM   #35
Bill C

Garage

Thirty thousand dollars and 300 miles a year dont make you a biker. If you bought it ride it!!
Bill C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #36
magical mr mistoffeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewind View Post

magical mr mistoffeles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #37
garymc

"You know I've always wanted to ride one of these why don't we swap?"
Romans, I think this was just the beginning of the road to his end game. Next thing you know, he'll be admiring and wanting to swap something else.
garymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #38
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Exactly. Styling cues are taken from Harley sure but, the V-Twin motorcycle is a genre of style. And it didn't start with Harley either, there were several brands (like the famous Indian) building V-Twins with the classic cruiser style before Harley was even a company.

When people call metrics a Harley clone it's like calling an Impala a Ford Taurus clone. Design cues are mutually taken from on another but in the end, it's just a genre of vehicle. They are both 4 door full sized sedans. Each with their advantages and disadvantages.
Couldn't have said it any better ourselves, Romans. My next bike is an INDIAN and not just because I'm full blood Comanche either.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #39
Comanche

Garage

Kawasaki bikes have always been excellent which is why I added this one small Sportie-like VN800 Classic to my stable of HD's and a Triumph. My next bike will be an Indian and so looking forward to that day. I'm also looking for a Nomad or V2K Classic LT to add to the herd. Only time and money stand in my way now.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #40
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

An Indian is on my bucket list of bikes. I did get the opportunity to ride a 99? model (the first year they were brought back by Indian of America).
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
SWVA_08V2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement