Engine HICCUP - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 2000

Old 10-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #11
Dough614

Just a little over 17k on her, completely stock. As far as the remote tank it doesnt have any problems at idle, revving it up in neutral, it only does it under load either cruising or accel. I went though all the wiring last nite everyhting looked good nothing loose nicked, etc. Wheres the fuel filter on this bike, in the pump under the tank?
Dough614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #12
whoaru99
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dough614 View Post
Just a little over 17k on her, completely stock. As far as the remote tank it doesnt have any problems at idle, revving it up in neutral, it only does it under load either cruising or accel. I went though all the wiring last nite everyhting looked good nothing loose nicked, etc. Wheres the fuel filter on this bike, in the pump under the tank?
Sorta hard to imagine a fuel filter would cause an intermittent power loss like that. Sure, I could see a loss of power that came and went under heavier and lighter loads, but not something with a short "hiccup" cycle time as you describe. But, yes, I believe the filter is part of the fuel pump.

Did you closely check the plugs and wires inside the headlight bucket? A fellow 2000 owner reported a problem with some wires in there that were causing a stalling/cutout problem.

Frankly, your situation sounds like what happened to me before my 2000 died completely 150 mi from home and had to be trailered to the nearest dealer. The cause of that was never positively identified, but suspected to be a bad connection "fixed" during the dealer's troubleshooting.

Last edited by whoaru99; 10-27-2012 at 11:38 AM.
whoaru99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #13
Dough614

Haven't had the headlight off yet, will check it out. Thx for all the help guys.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #14
Dough614

ok, Something new is going on, its been running fine for a while the occasional hiccup from time to time, now when it hiccups it backfires though the intake. Ideas?
Old 11-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #15
CRUISERDON
Top Contributor

Garage

Fuel filter problems show up primarily at times of high power demands when max fuel flow is needed, not just off idle.
The issue is that some component is causing a lean condition that flashes through intake before valve closes. With an injected machine, I would suspect EPA programing specs, or, some issue with throttle position sensor, or vacuum leak. What is happening is that the air voluum increases faster than fuel injection increases at a critical time of transition from just off idle. This could be a matter of increased sensitivity due to intake & pipes mod's or Fuel blend change at the pumps.
'97 VN1500 91 Cubes Of Custom CLASSIC
original owner
Vance & Hine 2to1
engine, forks, ignition & carb mod's
WebCam cam & rockers hard weld & grind
NEW TOP END, NO LOOKS ALL GO GO
Maxx intake manifold system & super G carb 44mm
CRUISERDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #16
DESERT ANGEL

how about unpluging the gear position sensor

just a wild guess
Old 11-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #17
pacomutt
Lifetime Premium

Check your kickstand switch, connector and spring. A weak spring will allow the kickstand to "bounce", interrupting the ignition for an instant.

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger
pacomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #18
Comanche

Garage

Everyone has excellent ideas and suggestions. One of the best things to also do when troubleshooting your problem is to give the bike a THOROUGH check everywhere and I mean everywhere with your OEM Manual and get extremely personal and acquainted with your bike again if you haven't already done so before or in a long time. Sometimes the littlest of things causes us the biggest problems. Wish you success.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #19
pacomutt
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
Please do not take offense to any of my posts because they are always given in good will and good spirits. Besides, I'm just trying to achieve Top Contributor Status!
3 more to go, I think!

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger
pacomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:50 AM   #20
smedlin
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
Sometimes the littlest of things causes us the biggest problems.
So THAT'S why I now have kids!!!!

2004 Vulcan 2000
smedlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement