Bully and/or EJK Settings for VN1700's - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700

Old 11-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
Vulcan Hammer

Default Bully and/or EJK Settings for VN1700's

With the growing popularity of the Bully / EJK Fuel manager, I thought that it might be a good idea to post settings so that we can compare and share results.

I believe that I officially have the first Bully specifically programmed for a 2009 1700 Classic which has a different ECU than the Voyager/Vaquero/Nomad version.

All VN1700 Bully modules come preprogrammed for Aftermarket Pipes and Intake with the following settings:

Green / Yellow / Red / Green-Blue / Yellow-Blue / Red-Blue

With Pipes & Intake:

2.5 / 3.5 / 1.5 / 6 / 2.5 / 3.5

Since I got rid of my BAK, my Classic is essentially stock, so I have chosen to start with the following settings: (This is a bit richer in the bottom end than G-Man Suggested for a bone stock VN1700)

Vulcan Hammer's Stock Settings:

1 / 1.5 / 1 / 6 / 3.5 / 4.5

G-Man suggested the following for a Stock VN1700:

0.5 / 0.5 / 0.5 / 6 / 3.5 / 4.5

I won't have any nice weather until the weekend to test my settings, but I am hoping to see what some of your settings and results are.

Remember to state what MODs you have made along with your settings.
Any notes on performance results would be good too!

Last edited by Vulcan Hammer; 11-06-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Vulcan Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
Vulcan Hammer

Clearly the Bully isn't as popular as I thought

Oh, well...someone has to start these balls rolling...
Old 11-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
figman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Hammer View Post
With the growing popularity of the Bully / EJK Fuel manager, I thought that it might be a good idea to post settings so that we can compare and share results.

I believe that I officially have the first Bully specifically programmed for a 2009 1700 Classic which has a different ECU than the Voyager/Vaquero/Nomad version.

All VN1700 Bully modules come preprogrammed for Aftermarket Pipes and Intake with the following settings:

Green / Yellow / Red / Green-Blue / Yellow-Blue / Red-Blue

With Pipes & Intake:

2.5 / 3.5 / 1.5 / 6 / 2.5 / 3.5

Since I got rid of my BAK, my Classic is essentially stock, so I have chosen to start with the following settings: (This is a bit richer in the bottom end than G-Man Suggested for a bone stock VN1700)

Vulcan Hammer's Stock Settings:

1 / 1.5 / 1 / 6 / 3.5 / 4.5

G-Man suggested the following for a Stock VN1700:

0.5 / 0.5 / 0.5 / 6 / 3.5 / 4.5

I won't have any nice weather until the weekend to test my settings, but I am hoping to see what some of your settings and results are.

Remember to state what MODs you have made along with your settings.
Any notes on performance results would be good too!

Let me know how the bully performs for you. I have a stock 2009 1700 Classic and am thinking about investing in one.
Cobra rack and backrest
Airlite chaps
Viking bags

Ray's throttle mod with Avon grips
Mustang Daytripper
Omni Cruise
Led remote light kit
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights exhaust
Wiseco fuel controller, thunder gasket and bak..

Other bikes
1983 Suzuki GS 1100E
air box mod, jetted & performance exhaust

1986 Goldwing 1200 Interstate

1984 Harley FLHT
figman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
Vulcan Hammer

Figman,

It's supposed to get upwards of 14C/57F on Sunday, so hopefully I'll have something to report by then
Old 11-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
Vulcan Hammer

My first real roadtest with the following settings (Nov. 13th):

1 / 1.5 / 1 / 6 / 3.5 / 4.5 (Stock VN1700 Classic LT, outdoor temp 16C/61F)

- smoother idle, warms up faster
- smoother and improved acceleration in first and second
- seems to run a little cooler
- little to no appreciable improvement in top end (as I am probably a little rich there with these settings. I will try dropping the Red/3rd zone down from 1 to .5)
- no appreciable knocking with the first tank of 89 octane, but marginal knocking with second tank of 91 octane.
- no appreciable drop in mileage, and I was driving more aggressively

Latest Settings (Nov. 16th):

1 / 1.5 / 0.5 / 6 / 3 / 4

Seems a little more responsive now including top end.

Last edited by Vulcan Hammer; 11-16-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #6
figman

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Hammer View Post
My first real roadtest with the following settings:

1 / 1.5 / 1 / 6 / 3.5 / 4.5 (Stock VN1700 Classic LT, outdoor temp 16C/61F)

- smoother idle, warms up faster
- smoother and improved acceleration in first and second
- seems to run a little cooler
- little to no appreciable improvement in top end (as I am probably a little rich there with these settings. I will try dropping the Red/3rd zone down from 1 to .5)
- no appreciable knocking with the first tank of 89 octane, but marginal knocking with second tank of 91 octane.
- no appreciable drop in mileage, and I was driving more aggressively

Thanks for the feedback. Update as you "experiment".

Figman
Cobra rack and backrest
Airlite chaps
Viking bags

Ray's throttle mod with Avon grips
Mustang Daytripper
Omni Cruise
Led remote light kit
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights exhaust
Wiseco fuel controller, thunder gasket and bak..

Other bikes
1983 Suzuki GS 1100E
air box mod, jetted & performance exhaust

1986 Goldwing 1200 Interstate

1984 Harley FLHT
figman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #7
windbreaker

I installed the EJK just a couple of days ago, and did notice an increased smoothness in almost any driving situation. However I did not notice any improvement in the popping that I had before, while downshifting and letting go of the throttle. It was almost as the popping was more distinct with the EJK. After some experimenting I have found the settings that seem to work best for my bike, but of course I will have to continue experimenting to find the absolute maxed settings. The settings that came with my EJK from Dobeck was 2.5 / 3.5 / 1.5 / 6 / 2.5 / 3.5 and I found this to be somewhat rich, since I dont have any changes made to my air intake. I have Raask slipons but nothing else done to the bike. I plugged the reed valves to the pulsair system, and that way I got rid of most of the popping! Then I lowered the settings for the EJK to 2.0 / 2.5 / 1.5 / 6 / 2.5 / 3.5. And the setting for the transition between the stock fueling and the green zone (6) I set to 1 which I found to make a difference regarding the response from idle, and the popping became even more reduced.So at this moment I'm running 2.0 / 2.5 / 1.5 / 1 / 2.5 / 3.5. and am very happy with that! Haven't been riding the bike enough to say anything about the mileage yet, but first eval looks good, some 5,4 l/100 km around 80-90 km/hrs. I will continue to experiment and will get back to you if I find out anything of interest.

Kawasaki VN 1700 Classic Tourer -10

Nobody knows everything, but everybody knows something
windbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
Vulcan Hammer

Windbreaker,

I haven't tried setting the transition from idle to as low as 1 (instead of 6), but if it makes a difference, as you stated, I will give it a shot during my next ride.

Does your Euro-spec bike have an O2 Sensor in the exhaust (making it a closed loop system)?

I ask, because it seems that only such bikes respond to plugging the Air Injection System (AIS), and have reduced popping as a result. I do not believe than any North American 1700s came stock with O2 Sensors.

Perhaps this is the reason that I do not know of any North American 1700 owners who noticed much, if any difference when they plugged the AIS.

Last edited by Vulcan Hammer; 09-05-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:26 AM   #9
windbreaker

Vulcan Hammer

Yes, my bike has got the o2 sensor, but my EJK came with a bypass that Dobeck recommended I use, so I did.
It would be interesting to know what, if any, difference it would make on your bike to change the transition Point?

Kawasaki VN 1700 Classic Tourer -10

Nobody knows everything, but everybody knows something
windbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #10
Vulcan Hammer

Windbreaker,

Thanks for the suggestion to lower the Green/Blue Setting (4th of 6th Settings on the 1700 EKJ/Bully) from 6 to 1!

It made a significant improvement in a few ways:

1) Decel popping almost totally eliminated...now I just get a bit of burble on decel instead of a series of loud pops.

2) For some reason the throttle control is now smoother, and the engine runs smoother cruising on the highway.

Adding fuel just off idle really seems to be the answer...I may even try lowering it from 1 to .5

It's funny how this new EJK is supposed to be an improvement on the old Dobeck/Techlusion TFI 4-Pot Unit. The first pot on the TFI allowed you to add fuel just off idle and it always seemed to be the ticket to eliminating lean surging and decel popping. It just shows that newer technology is not always better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement