Opinion on the competition's new stuff? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Other Motorcycles

Old 11-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
MN-Rider
Administrator

Garage
Default Opinion on the competition's new stuff?

Honda launched some new bikes yesterday, have you checked them out? What is your opinion on the competition?

Click to see new Honda's
MN-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
big worm
BOTM Winner, December 2013

well at least they tried with the Gold Wing F6B.....should have built something more like the valkarie but with a fairing !!!
Pioneer (for now) 6X9 2-way speakers
Flh hardbags
Mustang "daytripper" seat
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
Homemade intake with K&N filter
big worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by big worm View Post
well at least they tried with the Gold Wing F6B.....should have built something more like the valkarie but with a fairing !!!
Agreed. I thought it still looked good and was a sharp looking bike but I think it would have looked better on something like the valk.

I have also noticed that a lot of companies are making the older looking bikes again like honda has done with the CB1100.
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
SWVA_08V2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
Pretzel
Top Contributor

That GW "cruiser" style is interesting; if I ever go GW, that would be the one. And the 1300 custom line is workable. "Meh..." to the rest.
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption
Pretzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
pacomutt
Lifetime Premium

I really like the old school look of the CB1100.

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger
pacomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
RBS2

Garage

I like the look of the F6B. Essentially a bagger, ish, but all the features of a GW. Wonder how it compares to the Vaquero and Cross Country.
  • Memphis Shades Zipper Pouch
  • Kuryakn ISO Grips - Black
  • Cobra Speedster Short Exhaust
  • K&N Air Filter
  • River Road Throw-Overs
  • Highway Bars
  • S&$T eating grins
RBS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
Old Bear
Lifetime Premium

Not much, I'll stick with m Vaquero!
Old Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

The Valkyrie DID have a fairing version, called the 'interstate'

It's fairing was more batwing-ish and the details, down to the taillights, had a muscle-cruiser flair to it. The Goldwing, while a fantastic bike, is not really much of a cruiser. Even the the F6B to me, is still a sport tourer. In MY opinion, the F6B is going to butt up against the BMW's and Honda's own ST1300 as the 'ultimate' in sleek sport touring. The riding position and styling is a lot more sport than cruiser.

Fantastic bikes though. Being $4,000 cheaper makes it tempting, it puts it in the price range of the touring-cruisers (Voyager, Electra Glide, etc.), which is a big plus in Hondas favor. I suspect people will be putting aftermarket top boxes or even fitting Goldwing top boxes on to these things and just making them a poor mans Goldwing. (Although a $20,000 motorcycle doesn't exactly sing poverty, LOL). I really think Honda could make this a home run if they include a quick-disconnect kit for a matching top box. The top box on the Goldwing is more 'integrated', and the bike itself doesn't quite 'work' without it. (For starters, it contains the taillight and some essential components, such as I believe the actual stereo unit, Honda just uses a 'control pad' up front, as opposed to an actual head unit in the fairing like H-D and Kawasaki) This bike however, could be a really cool 'convertible' tourer with a quick disconnect top box, similar to how Harley does with the street glide or electra glide.

All in all I like the F6B, but I don't think it's revolutionary. I certainly don't think it's a replacement for the Valkyrie Interstate.

I like the CB1100 also. I am secretly hoping Kawasaki follows suit and re-introduces the KZ series of motorcycles. Now that both Honda and Triumph are making clones of their past models. I know triumph uses 'fake' carbs complete with non-working choke knobs, and even non-functional sync screws and all sorts of little components to make it look exactly like the older carb setups in order to house and disguise the fuel injection system. I wonder if Honda is doing similar?

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
The Valkyrie DID have a fairing version, called the 'interstate'

It's fairing was more batwing-ish and the details, down to the taillights, had a muscle-cruiser flair to it. The Goldwing, while a fantastic bike, is not really much of a cruiser. Even the the F6B to me, is still a sport tourer. In MY opinion, the F6B is going to butt up against the BMW's and Honda's own ST1300 as the 'ultimate' in sleek sport touring. The riding position and styling is a lot more sport than cruiser.

Fantastic bikes though. Being $4,000 cheaper makes it tempting, it puts it in the price range of the touring-cruisers (Voyager, Electra Glide, etc.), which is a big plus in Hondas favor. I suspect people will be putting aftermarket top boxes or even fitting Goldwing top boxes on to these things and just making them a poor mans Goldwing. (Although a $20,000 motorcycle doesn't exactly sing poverty, LOL). I really think Honda could make this a home run if they include a quick-disconnect kit for a matching top box. The top box on the Goldwing is more 'integrated', and the bike itself doesn't quite 'work' without it. (For starters, it contains the taillight and some essential components, such as I believe the actual stereo unit, Honda just uses a 'control pad' up front, as opposed to an actual head unit in the fairing like H-D and Kawasaki) This bike however, could be a really cool 'convertible' tourer with a quick disconnect top box, similar to how Harley does with the street glide or electra glide.

All in all I like the F6B, but I don't think it's revolutionary. I certainly don't think it's a replacement for the Valkyrie Interstate.

I like the CB1100 also. I am secretly hoping Kawasaki follows suit and re-introduces the KZ series of motorcycles. Now that both Honda and Triumph are making clones of their past models. I know triumph uses 'fake' carbs complete with non-working choke knobs, and even non-functional sync screws and all sorts of little components to make it look exactly like the older carb setups in order to house and disguise the fuel injection system. I wonder if Honda is doing similar?
Did not know about the "Interstate" model, which I never really was a big fan of Honda's. But I like it.

I was thinking the same thing about the F6B. A quick connect top box would make a nice option for it and have the ability to change from a "around town" bike to a "touring" bike. But from the pics it looks like they did not really leave any spot open to do that with that is not covered in some sort of plastic. To me it looks like their attempt to turn the bike in to a "Bold-Wing" instead of a "Old-Wing"
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
SWVA_08V2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWVA_08V2k View Post
Did not know about the "Interstate" model, which I never really was a big fan of Honda's. But I like it.

I was thinking the same thing about the F6B. A quick connect top box would make a nice option for it and have the ability to change from a "around town" bike to a "touring" bike. But from the pics it looks like they did not really leave any spot open to do that with that is not covered in some sort of plastic. To me it looks like their attempt to turn the bike in to a "Bold-Wing" instead of a "Old-Wing"
I became a bit more of a Honda fan when I bought my wifes bike. Just a very well built machine, with an excellent warranty. Service seems great too. I think they have an enourmous 'gap' in their lineup though. You either have a very small Shadow line (not just engine size, the bikes are very small) or the mega-tourers or choppers. I had predicted that this new lineup was going to include some mid-sized bikes but, not really!

I think it could work though. My require some sort of modification or be a little 'ugly', but if you want seamlessly integrated trunk and bags, you spend $4,000 more and get the big one!

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement