DIY kuryakyn triple whammy on my VN900 for about $5 - Page 5 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Wrench Heads

Old 10-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #41
Napom
Top Contributor

Garage

If you are looking for a brake flasher and have LED Brake lights - give this a shot - 10 bucks shipped and an easy hook up -

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...odule/194/844/

or

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...odule/195/845/

I have the first one and am very happy with it . . .

Thunder Air Kit
Cobra Tri Ovals/PowerPro
Wrapped Headers
CB/Rear Speakers
SageBrush Designs Tank Bib
Marvellas Psgr Pegs
Kury TourTech Mounts
Chrome Psgr board bottoms
12" Windshield
Russell Day Long seat w/backrest
Superbrightleds.com brake strobe
Kury T/S mirrors
Kury moon light LEDs
Avon grips w/Throttle Magic by RacnRay
Kury Phase 6 LED Headlight & spotlights

Ride Bells by Sabrehood brothers MinatourAce and Outlaw

Blue Knights VA II
Ride With Pride
Napom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #42
Islander

Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napom View Post
If you are looking for a brake flasher and have LED Brake lights - give this a shot - 10 bucks shipped and an easy hook up -

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...odule/194/844/

or

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...odule/195/845/

I have the first one and am very happy with it . . .
I wanted a run/brake/turn modulator. I still have stock incandescent bulbs but am considering LEDs. I read some negative review, though, about LEDs not really being very bright and not easily seen by trucks. What do you have to say? Seems like you have much know-how. I appreciate you ytime and help. Thanks.

09 Candy Diamond Red Vulcan 900
Kawasaki Bags
Cobra HWY Bars
Sissy Bar and Luggage Rack
Slip Stream Shade
Baron's Kickback Risers
Kuryakyn Premiun Passenger Floorboards
LA Choppers Lowering Kit (2")
Vance and Hines 2 into 1 Pipes
General Altimax Rear Tire
Power Commander V
LA Choppers XXX BAK
Iridium plugs

Now Gone Dark Side
6/30/12 @ 5,000 Miles
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:09 AM   #43
big worm
BOTM Winner, December 2013

i guess that is why so many auto and motorcycle maufacturers are switching over to leds... those pesky incandesents must be too darn bright !!!!
Pioneer (for now) 6X9 2-way speakers
Flh hardbags
Mustang "daytripper" seat
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
Homemade intake with K&N filter
big worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #44
kingnba6
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by big worm View Post
i guess that is why so many auto and motorcycle maufacturers are switching over to leds... those pesky incandesents must be too darn bright !!!!
there is a huge difference between swapping out your incandescent bulb to a led bulb compared to having an actual led from the company,

in my car i swaped the tail light bulbs with leds and within 2 days i swaped them back to incandescent. simply because the led bulbs were not bright. i then bought an actual led tail light housing for the car and compared it to the stock incandescent tail and boy oh boy, were the new led tails bright!

long story short, replacing an incandescent bulb with a led bulb will lower the output. but getting an actual led brake/turn signal is much better
kingnba6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #45
Vulcanrules

However in both cases of modified tail incandescent light housings where LEDs have been retrofit, and aftermarket LED specific housings- visibility when standing at an angle to the signal lens can be poor.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle
Vulcanrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:43 AM   #46
big worm
BOTM Winner, December 2013

long story short is that the bulb you chose did not perform as well......maybe different types of led conversion bulbs will work even better than the incandescent.....and i am quite confident in saying that you did not try all types of leds available for that application...
Pioneer (for now) 6X9 2-way speakers
Flh hardbags
Mustang "daytripper" seat
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
Homemade intake with K&N filter
big worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:40 AM   #47
Bear2123
Top Contributor

The reflectors for LED vs incandescent lamps are different. Where I worked we had a division that made tail lamp housings for Inland Fischer Guide (GM), truck, van and several of the car lines. The designs are really different to focus multiple LEDs to the sides as well as the rear vs a standard lamp. There is no generic LED replacement lamp that will work as efficiently as a incandescent IF the housing & reflector were designed for the incandescent. Designs must be modified to meet automotive standards with the differing light sources.
Bear2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #48
kingnba6
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear2123 View Post
The reflectors for LED vs incandescent lamps are different. Where I worked we had a division that made tail lamp housings for Inland Fischer Guide (GM), truck, van and several of the car lines. The designs are really different to focus multiple LEDs to the sides as well as the rear vs a standard lamp. There is no generic LED replacement lamp that will work as efficiently as a incandescent IF the housing & reflector were designed for the incandescent. Designs must be modified to meet automotive standards with the differing light sources.
+1. its the truth.
kingnba6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:39 AM   #49
Napom
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
I wanted a run/brake/turn modulator. I still have stock incandescent bulbs but am considering LEDs. I read some negative review, though, about LEDs not really being very bright and not easily seen by trucks. What do you have to say? Seems like you have much know-how. I appreciate you ytime and help. Thanks.
I really don't have an incandescent comparison since my Voyager comes with all LEDs (For running/brakes to the rear at least). On my last bike I tried several "Replacement LED" bulbs but quickly went back to the stock incan. bulbs for the reasons you mention. However I did see some bikes with complete retrofit boards (theirs were from Radiantz - but I'm sure there are others) that looked great - I was too cheap to get them though . . . Here is a link to their replacement (not sure which Classic you have)

http://www.radiantz.com/index1.html?c34.html&1

Even with all the lights on the back of the VV, I am still patiently waiting for someone to produce a red TS cover for this bike so I can get an RTB set up on it . . . I like to light up my Azz as much as possible . . .

Thunder Air Kit
Cobra Tri Ovals/PowerPro
Wrapped Headers
CB/Rear Speakers
SageBrush Designs Tank Bib
Marvellas Psgr Pegs
Kury TourTech Mounts
Chrome Psgr board bottoms
12" Windshield
Russell Day Long seat w/backrest
Superbrightleds.com brake strobe
Kury T/S mirrors
Kury moon light LEDs
Avon grips w/Throttle Magic by RacnRay
Kury Phase 6 LED Headlight & spotlights

Ride Bells by Sabrehood brothers MinatourAce and Outlaw

Blue Knights VA II
Ride With Pride
Napom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #50
a340driver

Default Tail lights

Excellent !!

I'm always amazed that the manufactures can't come up with something like this "stock" it would only cost them pennies ..
a340driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement