HF motorcycle chock - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 11-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
SirMickey

Default HF motorcycle chock

Help,

Does anyone have this motorcycle chock from Harbor Freight.
It looks too small to work properly with the front tire of a stock VN9 Classic. The add shows a much thinner motorcycle tire, one similar to that of a VN custom, and it appears to be a perfect fit.

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ock-97841.html

I'm looking to add a chock to my enclosed trailer.

SirMickey
SirMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
Doc8427

I have that exact chock, in fact, my 2009 classic is in it right now.

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=31048

Here is a thread on the garage mods I did, with that chock and my bike in it.

Doc

Last edited by Doc8427; 11-12-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Doc8427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
Bear2123
Top Contributor

I have that chock mounted on my Harbor Freight bike lift. My 800 is resting in it right now without an issue. A bit of a mental challange getting it up there the firt few times in as the rear tire hits the apex of the transition from ramp to flat at the same time the front tire is going over center. A touch of practice and I've got it down now. Stand is very steady and secure. My friend has also used my combination chock/ramp to do an oil change on his machine. No problem! All the pieces are formed to make a taper. The tire will self center and be captured. Narrower tires go further into the taper and wider tires don't settle in as far.
Bear2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
SirMickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc8427 View Post
I have that exact chock, in fact, by 2009 classic is in it right now.

Doc
Thanks guys... I was concerned that my classic wheel would be too large to fit safely or the chock material would be too flimsy.

Doc... the lag bolt sounds like a good idea... And since my trailer is not strictly a motorcycle trailer, it may be something I should try. Do you nine giving detail of how you went about it, drill bit, hardware store..

SirMickey
Old 11-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
Doc8427

This application is a little bit different from your situation as I had to drill into the concrete garage floor. I used a 1/2" concrete bit with my hammer drill and drilled just deep enough to cover the 1/4 lag sleeve. The lag bolts are just your standard 1" lag screws, which I can remove at any time so I can move the chock.

No idea what type of floor your trailer has, but if it's wood you can drill the holes just deep enough to accomodate the lag sleeves so you are not constantly tearing up the wood. If it's metal, that could be a little trickier. you can probably drill a hole through the metal and weld a bolt to the bottom side so you can thread the bolts through.

Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMickey View Post
Thanks guys... I was concerned that my classic wheel would be too large to fit safely or the chock material would be too flimsy.

Doc... the lag bolt sounds like a good idea... And since my trailer is not strictly a motorcycle trailer, it may be something I should try. Do you nine giving detail of how you went about it, drill bit, hardware store..

SirMickey
Doc8427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
MachU

I purchased on last spring when returning home from Florida, it was on sale plus i found a 20% off coupon online, that they honored with the sale price.
So in all , it worked perfectly for me, the price was right compared to alot of others with the same quality, and it made it a heck of alot easier to load the bike by myself.
MachU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
SirMickey

Thanks guys,... I think I''ll pick one up this holiday season.. BY THE WAY My trailer has a wood deck
and I will certainly install some version of quick change hardware.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
brian614
Lifetime Premium

Has anyone tried to use this chock with a 900 custom?
I've tried, and I'm either doing something wrong or my front tire is indeed to thin to fit properly.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
MachU

Actually , I hadn't even tried my 900 Custom on it yet, I was riding a Suzuki Bandit, and it fit perfectly, my Suzuki Intruder VS800 it was ok, a little wobbly, but it held.
The wheel chock is adjustable, I will give it a try in the morning.
I just purchased a Kendon trailer, I guess I should try the built in wheel chicks too, before I wanna use it.
MachU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
bosco
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc8427 View Post
I have that exact chock, in fact, my 2009 classic is in it right now.

Doc
Perfect pics. This is just what I needed to see about this chock. I purchased a few weeks a go, but haven't had a chance to test it as I am planning to mount it to a lift table, and your pics will help me decide how far forward to mount on the table.

2010 900 Classic
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement