Advice on Windshields - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1500

Old 10-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #11
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Don't worry too much about the shield being too low. Getting the air off your chest is 90% of it. Higher IS nice if you can get it to your nose tip to keep the wind off of your helmet as well BUT, if you can't find it, one that keeps the wind off of your chest is going to make a world of difference!

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #12
sfair
Top Contributor

Keeping that big fat bumble bee from knocking your head off counts too.
sfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:36 AM   #13
winstoncup

All very valid comments and what makes it hard... I am 6' and wear a head bucket for a helmet, I have the 21" Memphis Shades Fats series and its great! no buffetting until you expect it, passing an 18-wheeler for example...
Muzzy true-dual exhaust
Mustang seat, bags and trim
Memphis Shades windshield
Cobra rack and passenger pads
BreakAway Cruise Control
Kuryakyn Black ISO Grips
Chrome and more chrome...
winstoncup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #14
Vulcanator2008

Default Windshield for th 08 Classic Fi

I have the same bike, 2008 Vulcan Classic FI, I bought the Memphis shades mounting kit on ebay, for $69, (found one cheaper afterward) it is aluminum, and comes with the complete set that mounts to the frame and the part that goes to the windshield. I have been on the Memphis shades site and also got measured. I am 5' 11" and 240. They told me I need either an 18 or 19 inch, but like you I hate to buy one and find out its too short / tall .. then your stuck with it. The Memphis shades ones fit other bikes, alot of the stuff on a Harley ROad King fits our bike, and the windshield, (memphis shades) is the same model numbers. Just fitting the right height it the problem. So If you get a chance at a dealership to sit on one to try it out. Thats the best way. from what they have told me, its supposed to sit just below your nose level. Thats what they tell me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgw_niu View Post
I ride a 2008 Vulcan 1500N Fi an I am ready to put a windshield on it. My reasoning for wanting one is that the wind kick my butt pretty badly. I use my bike as a commuter about 8 months out of the year. Here in Az, my work route is mostly open highway and usually windy.

I have not bought a windscreen yet because I have not found one that fits me. I am in a word, an Olgre. I am 6'6" and pushing 300#, so my bike looks big until I am sitting on it I have gone out an gotten measured for a windscreen a few times over the past few years, at different places, and I am consistently told that I need a 24" - 25" screen.

Needless to say, I have not found one made that size. However, the other day, I came across Clearview Shields. They make a windshield that is 22.5" and has a recurve on the top of the screen that helps push the wind up an additional couple of inches. This might actually work for me.

Unfortunately, they do not sell mounting hardware and state that their screens are made to fit OEM hardware. My bike does not come with an OEM windscreen that I am aware of.

Is there OEM Windcreens for the 2008 VN1500N?
Is there an equivalent mounting hardware?
Do you know of any other manufactures out there that have windscreens for people of my stature?

I sent Clearview Shields an email, but I have not heard back yet.

thanks for your feedback
Proud Veteran
Vulcanator2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #15
ostbob

Cgw_NIU
I also live in Phx and ride a 2005 Vulcan VN1500 Classic FI with a windshield. I'm 6'2" and went with an 18" Cee Bailey windshield and I added OEM lowers to the forks. I get bufferring at around 65-70 mph so I am looking to see if I can find some hard lowers for the engine guard and if that doesn't solve the problem then maybe the ClearView with the recurve. I'd be interested in hearing back from you if you go with the ClearView.
I just took some plexiglass and covered the engine guard opening and will ride it in the next few days to see if adding hard lowers will actually solve the problem or if i need the taller windshield. I cut a pattern on some acrylic and then drilled holes to run plastic ties through to hold it on the engine guard, looks like crap but I only need it for a couple test rides.
ostbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #16
osceolawell

I got one from Clearshield with the recurve and it works fine for me.
But then again, I'm only 5'10". Also this one has the vent in it like
the Honda GW. Got to love the vent...
osceolawell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #17
ostbob

osceolawell
What bike is yours on and are you looking thru it or over it. If you are looking over it where does it line up with you face. Between the lip and nose or? Just trying to figure out how much higher than the top of the windshield does it push the air up.
ostbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #18
osceolawell

I'm looking just over the top going down a leavel road. Measure from the top of the head light to where you just look over it. Then you should have some adjustment on the brackets to get the sweet spot.
I sat on the bike on leavel ground and had my wife hold a yardstick on top of the headlight. Looking down the road like you ride, read the number.
Then my shield had an extra part that you can adjust to fill in over the light if you have a gap.
osceolawell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #19
pcarrell

Cee Baileys will custom cut you a shield up to 25" that mounts on the factory Kawi mounts. They do tinted too.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/kawasaki/vulcan1600ws.html
"Nadine", My 2001 Drifter 1500
pcarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #20
Grumbler

2001 1500 Classic FI with 19-inch Memphis Fats in gradiant black.

Am 6'3" with 34" inseam. Like looking *over* windshields rather
than through them. Keep in mind, depending on brackets used,
you can adjust the windshield forward or back. Mine is aligned
with angle of front forks. Top of windshield is just below mouth
and above bottom of chin. Have had it for 10+ years.

In your case, you'll probably require a 21-inch windshield or a bit
higher depending on whether you prefer looking over or thru it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	14207  
Grumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement