Garmin wiring? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1500

Old 08-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #11
Bear2123
Top Contributor

Default Rem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjoe View Post
Here is the ram mount pictures...
Great mount. Wish I could put mine on the risers like that. Mount is very sturdy and quite adjustable. If you change units you only have to buy a new head mount and keep the rest.
Bear2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
Bigjoe

Garage

A word on the garmin GPS's though....
The plug (inside the garmin) is soldered on with surface mount pads, not through hole. They are delicate and care should taken when plugging and unplugging in ackward angles (like mine). I would take it off everytime i would stop (even at restaurants and bars)and would use it when we would travel. Next time, I will just leave it on the bike!

On wiring... I used a 5 amp fuse and tapped into my headlight wiring. This is kind of a "no no" but it was SOLEY going to be used for the GPS. at 5 Amps, it will not overheat the stock wires and would blow the 5 amp fuse before blowing my headlight fuse..
Bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #13
Bigjoe

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear2123 View Post
Great mount.
Thank you! I was told these are the best. Local police use these on all their cruisers.
Quote:
Wish I could put mine on the risers like that. Mount is very sturdy and quite adjustable..
It was real easy, took of windshield to access. Notice the red hose to protect chrome and keep from slipping. Not very adjustable though, not sure if you can see, but its crammed in there, rubs the windshield a bit. There is not much adjustment, but its at the perfect angle!

Quote:
If you change units you only have to buy a new head mount and keep the rest.
YESS!! going through that now. Have to get a new GPS, but nice to find out I only have to pay $15.00 for a new cradle!
Old 08-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #14
Bear2123
Top Contributor

I stick my Garmin in the ashtray of the squad. No place else for it! Dash Cam, radar, 3 radios, light controls, and a toughbook. Big county. Last Fri. I did a detail in the SW corner from my residence in the NE corner. Took 90 minutes to get there. I'd really be lost answering calls out there without it.

Ram mouts are great though. Wish they made a good one for the car. I use the bean bag Garmin deal. Works OK except when really in a hurry.
Bear2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #15
FreewillerGA

I am interested to know your satisfaction rating when you get it.

In GOD We Trust!
FreewillerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #16
Bigjoe

Garage

UPDATE... I had used a velcro strap to hold the excess wire in a bundle, jamming it behind my garmin to hide it all. I was starting to put pressure on my plug (which eventually broke). I searched for a new plan. My GPS had traffic updates which were recieved through an antenna built into my power plug, so I didnt want to get the 12v hardwire kit... Well, It was a bit of a project but I was able to put my cigarette lighter plug in my "glove box" (the locking cover where the tool kit lurks) and route the wire along the frame (under the gas tank) up through the neck and out. Cable is perfect length! Most Garmins use the same connector even for traffic updates. Bought a garmin brand charger on ebay for 12.00 to have if I ever want to move the garmin to a rental or something. Now my garmin connector is fully broken and I have to get a new GPS, so I will have 3!!
Added bonus, The first day I did this, we were on a long trip and my phone battery was running low. So I unplugged my garmin and plugged in my phone and was able to fit it in there while I was charging it! when the garmin battery finally died, my phone was almost fully charged and I swapped back. Until I get a fairing, I will leave it this way.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #17
mogwai

I've had really bad luck with a cigarette lighter hookup and my current Garmin Nuvi 500. It does not keep contact, even when I tape the connection together. That same hookup works great in my car. The bike system has worked well with an older GPS and for my heated vest.

I think there is something about that Garmin adapter that it doesn't work on a motorcycle. Guess I'll hard wire it into the system this winter.

I feel stupid for not being able to sort this out, but have heard of similar problems from other riders and the newer Garmins.
mogwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #18
Bigjoe

Garage

Picture of the mount inside the left side cover..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0367.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	12986  
Old 08-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #19
Wineadors

I've got the 5" nuvi and as far as mounting, I used velcro right on the bar clamps and it is a perfect fit. Easy to see, no vibration to speak of and handy to pull off quickly when parked in a public place. I wired in a fused 12v waterproof receptacle right in front of the factory horn mount on an available screw and plug it in there.
Slipstreamer Spitfire Sport shield
Sissy/Luggage (Off a Harley lol Shhhhh)
Vance & Hines Bigshots Staggered pipes
Chuckster performance intake
PCM III USB Control
KURY ISO grips
KURY Magnum extended mirrors
WOLO Bad Boy-That's about it...for now
Wineadors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #20
SoCal Vaquero

Default Garmin/Zumo Connection to 2011 Vaquero

I'm considering a Nuvi 550, Zumo 350 or Zumo 6xx for 2011 Vaquero, and ideally want to connect GPS' audio to the Vaquero's audio system. In the Kawasaki accessories catalog there is a "Nav Audio Adapter Cable" that , by its description would do the trick, but in its specs indicates its only for 2012 and 2013 Vaqueros, not 2011. Anybody else have success doing what I'm trying to do that can offer suggestions? Any contacts at Kawasaki that can help with these kinds of issues? THANKS!
TLC bag liners
Auxiliary Driving Lights
Fiamm Freeway Blaster Horns - Hi & Lo
Kuryakyn black ISO grips, modified by racnray
Kuryakyn Dually ISO pegs with offset Magnum quick clamps
Mustang Vintage Seat with Driver Backrest and Passenger Backrest Receiver
Longer kickstand
Back Off XP brake light flasher
Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2 amplifier
Polk DB521 speakers
SoCal Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links