Vulcan 900custom 2007 Overheating ! - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 10-31-2012, 08:47 AM   #11
tcrider

Okay, got it done!! It was easier than I thought...Didn't need to run the bike to get the air out. Just pour slowly and tap the hoses in the process just like the manual says and started after it was all put together. Never got the temperature light to come on and the fan started after some time. It's been a week now and no problems. Probably won't wait so long for the next change, considering this is the first at 48K miles....
What surprised me was the little drain plug and washer.. Not sure if it will resist several changes along the life of the bike.
Next will be changing forks fluid..but that's another thread....
Be safe and thanks again for all your help..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #12
TurcoLoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrider View Post
Okay, got it done!! It was easier than I thought...Didn't need to run the bike to get the air out. Just pour slowly and tap the hoses in the process just like the manual says and started after it was all put together. Never got the temperature light to come on and the fan started after some time. It's been a week now and no problems. Probably won't wait so long for the next change, considering this is the first at 48K miles....
What surprised me was the little drain plug and washer.. Not sure if it will resist several changes along the life of the bike.
Next will be changing forks fluid..but that's another thread....
Be safe and thanks again for all your help..
So what was the culprit exactly? From your initial posts, I would think it was a faulty thermostat but I am sensing it might have been the air stuck in the coolant system?
TurcoLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #13
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
So what was the culprit exactly? From your initial posts, I would think it was a faulty thermostat but I am sensing it might have been the air stuck in the coolant system?
Sounds like air in the system. Air bubble not allowing coolant to flow.

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #14
TurcoLoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Sounds like air in the system. Air bubble not allowing coolant to flow.
Yeah, that is what I thought. Odd though, I never thought a water bubble in the water line could/would stop the flow like a faulty thermostat.

Speaking of thermostat, I have looked around a bit and the best price on a thermostat for this bike is like $30! I don't ever recall paying more than $15 for a freaking thermostat. Good grief!
TurcoLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #15
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Yeah, that is what I thought. Odd though, I never thought a water bubble in the water line could/would stop the flow like a faulty thermostat.

Speaking of thermostat, I have looked around a bit and the best price on a thermostat for this bike is like $30! I don't ever recall paying more than $15 for a freaking thermostat. Good grief!
It was $60 for the last one in my car. It's a whole 'unit' in the car, not just a little puck like the old ones. Hoses clamp directly to it and it bolts to the motor. Obviously the only part faulty was probably a little puck deep inside but... the days of serviceable vehicles are drawing to a close! It's the American way after all. "It's gonna cost $800 to fix the car, so, I'm just gonna save my money and buy a new $20,000 car instead".

These cooling systems are much smaller than an automobile system. An air bubble can get trapped and not allow it to flow. In a car, air escapes through the overflow tank. On our bikes, the overflow tank is at the bottom of the cooling system so that doesn't happen, it has to escape through the radiator cap as part of servicing!

I had a Mercury Cougar once, supercharged. There was a small bolt that had to be opened to expel air when replacing coolant. Lots of guys didn't know that and would have cooling system issues after flushing coolant. But, in fact, on that car, you had to open this little bolt and let it idle for a minute. On later models Ford put a plastic cap on the bolt and labeled it "remove before adding coolant".

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #16
tcrider

Quote:
Nope, you must be reading somebody else. I just needed to change the coolant just for service and was a little worried about the process and posted results of my experience. But nothing wrong with my system, it took 48 k miles to do first change with out problems....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement