Urgent help needed!! - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700

Old 09-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #11
silenthill
Top Contributor

Damn.....1700's are beginning to look a bit unreliable....
I for one, WON'T be buying one.
Ma Kawi BETTER take a long, hard look at this bike.

(let us know the problem)....
I'm on the fence whether to buy the wife her own bike...(shadow)....or, combine the 9 and the money and buy a tourer/cruiser of some type. Lotsa decisions...I keep a close eye on the 17 forums...and I don't think the bike is suitable "outta the crate"...
Kuryakyn Grand Tourer luggage bag.
Kuryakyn air filter cover.
170/80/15 Metzler rear tire.
Fire and Ice passenger floorboards.
Stage 2 debaffle (screens left intact).

Last edited by silenthill; 09-01-2012 at 10:20 AM.
silenthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #12
sfair
Top Contributor

Before tearing the bike to pieces, try the reg/rect first. It will take 5 minutes and it is nice to rule it out upfront.
sfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #13
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthill View Post
Ma Kawi BETTER take a long, hard look at this bike.

(let us know the problem)....
I'm on the fence whether to buy the wife her own bike...(shadow)....or, combine the 9 and the money and buy a tourer/cruiser of some type. Lotsa decisions...I keep a close eye on the 17 forums...and I don't think the bike is suitable "outta the crate"...
It's hard to judge reliability on an internet forum. People are much more likely to make a thread about a problem they had than a "Rode all week without any problems" thread. But, I do agree, seems like we see a scary number of costly failures on the 1700's on the forums, as compared to most other Vulcan models. It almost seems like bikes are outgrowing themselves. I frequent a handful of motorcycle forums (or skim them). Seems like the big Harley twins (96 and up), and other big metric twins (various 16, 17, 1800+ twins) seem to have a lot more problems compared to the sub 1600cc category. Those 88" Evo Harley's seemed fairly bullet proof compared to their previous engines, but then they headed downhill again (in my perception) with the 96" and 103" motors. More power means more heat, and perhaps, these components can't get rid of heat quick enough, or just can't handle the power these big motors make. Who knows. (Although, the Vulcan 2000 seems to be another dead reliable gem, judging by these forums anyway!)

I was in the same boat as you a while back. But, the more I thought about it, the more I realized I really did enjoy touring on my 900. There are things like cruise control, lower rev's on the highway, and the like that would be nice, but nothing wowed me so much to justify spending a whole bunch of money. Ended up getting the Shadow for the wife! We've got a bluetooth headset, and hearing her tell me "There's nothing in the world like this!" as she's riding in front of me on her little red shadow really affirmed that decision. Mushy I know, but watching her enjoy the joy of her own ride is worth all the electronic cruise controls in the world!

I'm in the process now of just building my 900 into a big touring bike. Most recently installed a Harley tour-pak. That's much bigger than any of the aftermarket trunks on the market (that I'm aware of) for the 900. The weight added over the rear really added some stability to the bike. It was already solid, but now it really feels like a big bike. Big bikes aren't stable in the wind and on the highway because of their horsepower, it's the weight and size of the bike. The 900, despite the small motor, is already the size of most big twins (in terms of the size of the bike itself) and is only INCHES shy of the dimensions of the 1700, or the big Harley tourers. The high RPM's don't bother me, personally, and I've never felt limited by the 900's power because I don't ride 80+ anyway. I've pulled some serious hills, in top gear, at 65 no problem. Having owned a couple manual transmission cars, I'm used to downshifting on the steep hills at a lower speed, so that doesn't bother me either.

Moral of the story, if you aren't sure what bike you want to upgrade to, don't discount what you've already got. Not saying the 900 is the greatest touring bike ever made, but it is certainly more capable than people give it credit for. I still have a smile on my face on 500+ mile days on my 900! The future plans for my bike include a stereo fairing (or adapted Harley fairing) and big hard bags. My thinking is, whatever bike I move up to next (and I eventually will, I do love my 900 but a big twin is in my future in the next several years I'm sure), I can simply transfer those touring goodies over. Rather than buy a voyager (if I go the 1700 route), I can just go with a Nomad (for the cruise control, otherwise I'd just get a 1700 Classic!), add my tour pak and fairing, and go! If for some reason I went the Harley route, I could turn a softail or road king into a full dresser. And so on and so forth.

That's the plan anyway! Good luck with whatever you end up doing. If you have any questions on the shadow send me a PM and maybe I can tell you what I know. I've done some research on them before I bought one and, well, now I own one! Wife's is a 2011 Aero, and she loves it. It's great for a new, shorter rider.

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #14
TX1677095

Location: Deep in the heart of the NW part of a major metro area in the SE part of a very large SW state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthill View Post
That's probably for the better as anyone who would base a purchase decision solely upon anecdotal forum data probably shouldn't be riding anything as large as a 1700cc bike anyway.

As for me, I love my ultra-reliable 103.7ci baby.
"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand
TX1677095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:04 AM   #15
silverspurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
Before tearing the bike to pieces, try the reg/rect first. It will take 5 minutes and it is nice to rule it out upfront.
I'll do that, should be home tomorrow, hopefully check that out in the next few days and get back to all of you... thanks!

09 1700 Nomad
09 KLR 685
silverspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:14 AM   #16
matt7even

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspurs View Post
thanks everyone for your responses... I've been unable to access internet for the past two days... anyway, on Thursday morning, I tried everything I could think of to try to find the short... the short had progressed from blowing the main fuse only when the bike was actually running, to blowing the main fuse after the ignition had been switched to the ON position for a few seconds... obviously a dead short somewhere... I was running out of time because the ferry was due the next day, I needed to get things moving, so I rented a uhaul and I'm on my way back home with the bike in the uhaul... I'll be there tomorrow... when I get home, I'll be tearing things down (something I couldn't do in Prince Rupert, it's the rain capitol of Canada) so I'll need all the help I can get when I get er' home... thanks again for your posts and I'll be back on here as soon as I get a chance to tear things down... rick

Damn that's a shame. The U-haul was a good idea though. I hope you're able to find the bug. It bite me too once when my headlight went dead while making a long trek back home on night. Had to pull into a near by hotel till morning. Turned out to be a faulty light switch. Had to get the whole housing replaced but luckily warranty covered it.

Anyway let us know what you find, I am curious to know what happened.
Kawasaki light bar & bag liners
Scootworks bar risers & engine chaps
RAM phone mount & drink holder
Kuryakyn speakers & AC outlet
National speedometer cowl
Wolo air horn
Oxford heated grips
Optronics LED driving lights
Vaquero engine emblems
Mustang touring seat
Irons in the Fire rack
Kuryakyn Triple Play tail light
Cobra Tri-Oval exhaust
LED hard bag accent lights
Goodyear Tripletred rear tire (205-16-60)
matt7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #17
silenthill
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX1677095 View Post
That's probably for the better as anyone who would base a purchase decision solely upon anecdotal forum data probably shouldn't be riding anything as large as a 1700cc bike anyway.

As for me, I love my ultra-reliable 103.7ci baby.
Yeah, good point.
I'm just considering all angles. I'm also basing some of my thoughts on what I hear at the local meets. I realize "anecdotal forum data" can be a bit of a misnomer, but there is generally a kernel of truth in there.
Romans5.8, nice post, agreed. Probably keep the 9 and put the wife on a shadow.

1700 owners. NO DISS INTENDED. Just a little wary....

(On a side note, I realized I'm also not a fan of belt drive)...just sayin.
Kuryakyn Grand Tourer luggage bag.
Kuryakyn air filter cover.
170/80/15 Metzler rear tire.
Fire and Ice passenger floorboards.
Stage 2 debaffle (screens left intact).

Last edited by silenthill; 09-09-2012 at 07:37 AM.
silenthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #18
silverspurs

Default main fuse shorting out

Hi guys; I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm going to start working on the bike in the next couple of weeks... to recap:

on a trip to Canada over Labor Day, my main fuse blew one morning about 5min after the bike had been started and was running. we replaced the main fuse and the bike started up again and ran about 10 minutes before the main fuse blew again... all other fuses were ok...

after that, the problem progressed so that the main fuse now blows immediately upon the ignition switch being turned to the ON position... the bike doesn't get a chance to start at all...

we had been riding in some light rain the day before all this started, but experienced no problems while riding in the rain, it was the next morning that things went haywire... the bike has about 20,000 miles on it.

any more suggestions to guide me on my quest are appreciated!!... thanks!!

09 1700 Nomad
09 KLR 685
silverspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #19
Bubba in TX
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Romans and TX1677095 hit the nail right on the head.

Unfortunately in all forums you normally see only those people having a problem. Granted there may be a hundred different people having a problem with the same motorcycle. But there may be thousands with no problems we never know about.

You never get many posts about "I have got 30k miles as of today and not a single problem" posts. There is no way of actually knowing how many people are happy with no problems, and how many are unhappy with problems. But the latter are the ones we see the most.

BUT... its the posts with problems that help us get our problem fixed if it happens.

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

U.S.A.F. Retired
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired

Bubba in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #20
IsAnOzzie
Lifetime Premium

long shot, but if it is blowing right away when you turn on the ignition it might be worth taking the tank/sidecovers etc off and switching it on after dark, something that blows a 30 amp fuse could well be visible? cant hurt.

Do or do not, there is no try. YODA
IsAnOzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement