Crankcase vent - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 800

Old 11-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
Phil in Maine

Garage
Default Crankcase vent

I noticed that the tube attached to the crankcase vent came off at some point recently. Other than the oil that found its way inbetween the cylinders, is there anything bad that could have happened? My guess is no, but I was just curious.

I'll get it reconnected tomorrow and take it on a good long ride on Monday since its supposed to reach 60 degrees. Maybe I'll get adventurous and take a ride out to the Kancamangus Highway.

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
Bear2123
Top Contributor

Na. Might have IF it was really dusty during the time it was off. Oil vapors are pulled into the engine via that tube and burned.
Bear2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
Phil in Maine

Garage

Yeah, I didn't think it was much of a big deal other than cleaning up the oil and getting the air cleaner assembly off to reattach it.

I was just relieved that the oil I saw wasn't from anything serious. Such a relief.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:02 AM   #4
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil in Maine View Post
Yeah, I didn't think it was much of a big deal other than cleaning up the oil and getting the air cleaner assembly off to reattach it.

I was just relieved that the oil I saw wasn't from anything serious. Such a relief.

A good fix for that is to attach a longer line with an inline filter on the end and replace it as needed when it becomes too dirty. Run that longer line toward the back left side so it can drain onto the road away from the rear tire. In Cali models it attaches to the EPA system components.
Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
Bear2123
Top Contributor

I've run mine with a longer hose and put it up high just to the left of the radiator. Placing is higher, I've been told, precludes it from spitting liquid oil out. It is there to only vent the crankcase from the piston rings blowby.
Bear2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear2123 View Post
I've run mine with a longer hose and put it up high just to the left of the radiator. Placing is higher, I've been told, precludes it from spitting liquid oil out. It is there to only vent the crankcase from the piston rings blowby.
It will still spew out but the purpose for the inline filter is to retain as much of the oil and once you see the filter dirty and any small oil trace amounts get by that it is time to change it. I've seen people place it there next to the radiator's left top side like you have or to the rear so that any trace amounts do not get on the rider and so the way it is placed depends on preference. Since that line usually goes back into the air filter housing it requires the owner to periodically check the cleanliness of the filter in that area. If the air filter is not periodically checked for cleanliness then the filter becomes saturated and extremely dirty at that area. Regardless of which method is used it requires periodic checks and maintenance. That vent line looks nice with an inline filter in it and you keep the air filter cleaner longer so that's a plus too.

Last edited by Comanche; 11-11-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
XCR600
Top Contributor

When I modded my intake I also made a new crankcase breather that doesn't get oil all over like my hose did.

I made a trap out of PCV and got a breather from Advanced auto, it would work for a non-modded air box also , just plug the hole in the back of the filter box. Cleans up the look of the engine also with out that hose over the top of the crankcase.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 005.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	14185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 011.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	14186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 013.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	14187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 014.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	14188  
Jardine Rack
Kuryakyn Dually pegs
Baron Risers
Kuryakyn ISO grips
Kuryakyn long horn hwy pegs
Wille&Max saddle bags
XCR600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR600 View Post
When I modded my intake I also made a new crankcase breather that doesn't get oil all over like my hose did.

I made a trap out of PCV and got a breather from Advanced auto, it would work for a non-modded air box also , just plug the hole in the back of the filter box. Cleans up the look of the engine also with out that hose over the top of the crankcase.
God Bless America for good old-fashioned American ingenuity! XCR600, that's a good fix too which is why I always say to each his own because our own indivicual work on our rides is what really counts. Ride it like you stole it!
Old 11-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #9
Phil in Maine

Garage

I actually did the ride earlier in the year on my 30 year old GS450. That time I went across the Kanc and then up 93 to RT 3 and then down Crawford Notch to home. About 250 miles.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #10
Phil in Maine

Garage

Well I got the silly vent hose reattached. A mild pain in the ass, since its tough to reach. Had to take the tank and carb off. BTW, wouldn't life be better if Kawasaki had a better, more reachable, way to attach the carb.

Advertisement