Nice write-up Wild Bill. Although I haven't been here long either, reading the forum advice on the belt squeal/chirp helped me solve the problem. I was embarrassed to ride her for awhile because of the squealing noise from the belt. Now she's quiet and a joy to ride. Thanks to the advice like yours.
For me it was all in the alignment of the real wheel. The smallest adjustment can make all the difference. I finally bought a lift so I could get the fat lady off the ground and I could finally see and adjust the real wheel myself. Something the mechanics I took her too didn't care enough to do I guess. As little as a quarter turn on the tensioner can move the rear pulley quite a bit. Aligning to the same mark on both side and getting the tension I wanted then making very small adjustments so the belt didn't rub anymore was the key. WD-40 was used to clean the belt and front/rear pulleys before resetting the tension and alignment.
rt, stock gears are 42 x 50 teeth. Eurogears are 44 x 48. ratios are 1.19:1 vs 1.09:1. difference is approx 9%. rpms changes are equivalent. drop approx 300 rpm at 70mph, puts you back in that sweet spot at 2700. just Lulls along happy like. 80mph in 5th b4 she even begins to sing. only punched thru triples once or twice and never heard any screaming.
somes just prefer not to touch their bikes is ok. is why they make 'spensive pulleys for you guys.
changing gears seems too big a project for most folks that are skared of the inards of their motors. is not a difficult job and can be done in an evening. more than changing the gears or the bike character, this kinda work changes you. 'tis worth it. ponchout
I did the math on the front pulley change 32 to 33 ,,,,it came out to a 3.1% decrease in RPM. The Trans gear change from 42/50 to euro 44/48 revealed 8.43% decrease in RPM!!!!!!!!!! I'm planning on doing both for a total of 11.53% decrease.
I have a brand new, never installed 33 T front pulley from Bare. Nice piece but I did the Euro gears and feel that the combo would be a bit much. Price to me plus ship close to $300.00. Make me a reasonable offer for this piece and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOW TO INSTALL
Remove front pulley covers, looking at the pulley you will see a nut and a bent over keeper washer flatten the washer remove the nut use a 1 1/4 in socket with a strong arm wrench or a air impact ...before removing the nut put the transmission in first gear have some one step on the rear brake or tie it down then loosen the rear axle slide forward then install the 33 tooth pulley put the washer on then the nut then adjust the belt to it's proper tention install the axle nut to 80 ft lbs now tighten the pulley to 130...
Important note, the socket needs to be a 12 point. At least on my '08... back to the store.