Cleaning products and tips - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > General Vulcan Talk

Old 09-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #11
jhow34

I'll soap and water wash it this weekend. Not sure if the bike has been waxed lately since I just purchased it a couple weeks ago. What kind of wax do you use? I'll wax it too. Then pick up some lemon pledge to keep it clean. This bike is so nice I dint ever want to see it dirty. Ride a while then clean a while.
jhow34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #12
MN-Rider
Administrator

Garage

Pledge is widely used in the bike world. It's just a cleaner that works great and is cheap.
MN-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #13
brian518
Megatron

Google EZ Detail Brush. This thing is the nuts if you want to keep your bike clean. Gets in all the nooks and crannies, doesn't scratch and is gentle on the paint.
I use Comet Cleanser on the whitewalls (taught to me by an old time used car detailer). And Pledge is great for a quick wipedown between wash and waxes, I prefer Meguiars for wax or should I say polish?
I use a leaf blower to dry the bike after washing. I use Nevr-Dull on the rims and spokes a couple times a season.
Kuryakyn ISO Grips w/Throttle Boss
Kuryakyn Highway Pegs
Ultimate Driver's Seat w/Backrest
Painted side covers to match rest of bike
Luggage rack in place of passenger seat.
Viking Saddlebags
Wide Whitewalls
Laydown License Plate Bracket
brian518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #14
Pretzel
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhow34 View Post
Lemon pledge over the entire bike? That's not rough on the paint?
Not sure by what you mean "rough" on the paint. There isn't any kind of solvent or abrasive in the pledge, if that's what you mean. I actually started using it after getting a tip from a bunch of guys that habit car shows. They use Pledge for that quick "just waxed" shine after rolling their car into place, gets rid of that brief bit of outside dust and the fingerprints, etc. If those guys trust it...

Quote:
What kind of wax do you use? I'll wax it too.
I'm a big fan of the Meguiar's liquid was products. I used to use the Tech 2.0 wax from Meguiar, but it hasn't been available the last couple of times I looked, so I've been grabbing the Ultimate liquid wax instead. Easy on, easy off, even in direct sunlight, and one bottle is good for several waxes on both cars AND the bike.
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption
Pretzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #15
jhow34

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like i have some good advice on cleaning and keeping this beauty clean. I am proud to own this bike and i hope it gives me a long trouble free ride. I have always been partial to the bobber look but my girlfriend loves to ride also. Maybe one day she will want her own ride and then i can go the bobber route. Until then I will enjoy my Nomad.
jhow34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #16
Gary W.
Top Contributor

Garage

I use a microfiber and a good quality quick detail spray for general cleaning. Good wax or polish on the paint. 303 protectant on the seat and plastic parts. Fine steel wool for stuff on the pipes. Plex-All spray for the windshield.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #17
Ezrider

Garage

Get the "Swifter" your wife uses to dust. Use that to take off that layer of dust before you clean with the Pledge and microfiber - to avoid swirls in the paint. Rubbing the dust will leave swirls.
Ezrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #18
Lunatic
Lifetime Premium

Myself, I usually take the bike in to the car wash and give it a good soaping/hosing down, then ride it home and give it a detail with Pledge and a microfiber cloth.

Keep in mind though, I'm the laziest man on the planet...
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #19
GC1218

This question is for the Vaquero guys. What do you guys use on all the flat black parts engine, trans, fork tubes and such. What do you use for a protectant or do you just use the same wax as you do on the shinny painted parts. I know there is special polish for chrome and was just wondering if there is something special you use on all the flat black parts.
GC1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #20
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

I like Turtle Wax chrome polish on the chrome goodies and Mguires on painted surfaces. Both work great.

The only problem I have is the dang windshield. It's always covered in bugs. I've never found anything that will really remedy that. I usually take it down to the car wash and nail it with the pressure washer and soap, but even then I can't seem to get them all off.

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement