Previous Owner's Problems Inherited - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 800

Old 11-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #21
sfair
Top Contributor

I discourage you from looking at the reg/rect. at this time for the following reasons:

1. You might be looking for a non-existant problem.
2. Resistance readings must be taken with an analog meter in order to sort of equate to what the manual says.
3. There is always the chance of "introducing" an additional problem, and then the tail chasing really begins.

The best choice is to put the charging system back together and tackle the starting system (which is an obvious problem right up front) and go from there.

If you want to go this route, post back and we can dive in head first.
sfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #22
Comanche

Garage

That's a clearer explanation than the OEM Manual, Bama, thanks.

SFair, I apologize for it seeming as if I was cattail chasing but I first wanted to ensure that all of my charging, running and firing side components were good before getting the bike going so that I wouldn't have to drain the oil and remove left side engine cover and all of that mess associated with checking the major components. The carburetor was addressed and so I wanted to address the other things too. I'd hate to get the thing running only to find out there was a problem with stator, alternator, pickup coil etc. and then have to do all of this backtracking due to the bike not charging or firing correctly. So, there is somewhat of a method to my madness here since the bike is new to me from PO and I don't know the bike's overall condition which I am trying to determine correctly for either keeping it or flipping it. I digress now so back to the topic.

SFair, thanks again and let's finally get some major brain damage on this one. Ready when you are so fire away.
Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #23
sfair
Top Contributor

A couple of questions:

1. Does the neutral light work?
2. To your knowledge, any wiring modifications, for example, key switch, etc?
3. List anything electrical, besides the starter, that you have noticed that does not work.
4. How many miles on the bike?
Old 11-08-2012, 11:51 PM   #24
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
A couple of questions:

1. Does the neutral light work?
2. To your knowledge, any wiring modifications, for example, key switch, etc?
3. List anything electrical, besides the starter, that you have noticed that does not work.
4. How many miles on the bike?
1. The bike has a smaller HD tank that was installed by the PO and since the bike was running on the day it was placed into storage because the PO didn't know how to repair the rear spark plug cross-threading issue I would assume that to be YES.

However, since recently acquiring it I have purchased an OEM tank assembly and can put that on to see if that would be definitively YES.

2. None that I am aware of other than the removal of all running and turn signal lights by PO for what reason only he knows. As a precaution I have already purchased a replacement OEM wiring harness just in case there are mods that I encounter.

3. Other than that the bike was running with a bad carburetor when it was stored more than five months ago and which has now been replaced with a rebuilt and tested one from a shop there are no other issues that the PO reported or noticed.

4. The PO bought it from another party and mileage is currently unknown. The PO had the engine and transmission rebuilt and as I previously stated the PO had a bad carburetor and didn't ever get around to replacing it which I now have.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #25
sfair
Top Contributor

I am confused...does it have a neutral light that shines brightly when you turn on the key?
Old 11-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #26
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
I am confused...does it have a neutral light that shines brightly when you turn on the key?
Sorry, SFair, I only have my phone to access here and it's extremely difficult to write on such a small device and write everything out clearly. Sometimes the phone dismisses what I input and I won't find out until after the fact like with you just now but anyway, no, it doesn't have any neutral switch light at all because it only has a small HD tank with nothing else installed by the PO and so the original tank/speed/tach assembly is not on it.

That's why I said that when I first took possession of the bike I immediately bought a new tank assembly (and other parts) so once I receive and install it then I could tell you definitively YES or NO as to whether the neutral light illuminates. That PO was a real hack. That's another reason why I bought a new harness just in case because I can see a few things that he modified to try and make it look like a bobbed out Nightster and judging from the quality of his work and which he was obviously proud of I know that it is not as good as he said or thought. You can only ride so far on a small HD peanut tank.

Last edited by Comanche; 11-09-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #27
sfair
Top Contributor

OK, you will have to install the new tank and speedo assembly and check to see if the neutral light works as without that indication, we are dead in the water.
Do not replace the harness just yet until we see if it is needed.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #28
Comanche

Garage

Ok, so here's the deal. Since the bike was new to me I gave this thing a thorough inspection and servicing. I replaced parts here and there that needed to be replaced according to OEM specs and got it running.

Installed the following: new wiring harness because old one was too hacked up by PO, a new CDI because it was cracked and out of specs, faulty R/R out of specs, old frayed pickup coil, old frayed positive & negative battery cables, new tank assembly. It's running now so I'm taking the beast out today to fine tune the carb.

Does anyone recommend using a little PermaTex High-Temp Red around the aluminum ring gaskets for the exhaust pipes to seal them better? I've done it on my HD's in the past so just wondering what you Vulcans do besides tightening to OEM torque specs.

Thanks for all your help and input gentlemen.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #29
Comanche

Garage

On a side note, I noticed that someone who posted recently had "Banned" underneath their User ID. How does that happen? Hahaha! Seriously, I'd like to know how dude can post if he is BANNED?
Old 11-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #30
MN-Rider
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
On a side note, I noticed that someone who posted recently had "Banned" underneath their User ID. How does that happen? Hahaha! Seriously, I'd like to know how dude can post if he is BANNED?
Umm it doesn't happen. Once a user is banned, all his past posts will show his new user title as banned.
MN-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement