Debaffling a Nomad - Page 6 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1600

Old 09-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #51
Hawk600

Thank you jhow34 for the feedback.
It encourages me to go ahead with the mod. I liked the V&H sound while in low revs but on high revs or highway use it was unbearable.
I think I will buy the materials tonight.
Thanks again!!
Hawk600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #52
jhow34

You're quite welcome Hawk. I think you'll like the sound it produces. It's a deeper sound at low rpms but it does not get overwhelming at high rpms. Just follow the video on how to remove the baffles. Then if yours are stuck like mine were then use my advice. It worked like a charm for me. Good luck and I hope you enjoy the sound.
jhow34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #53
jhow34

Let us know when you get it done Hawk and how you feel about the results.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #54
Hawk600

Hey Jhow34, one word only...amazing!!
Thank you and everyone that contributed to this post including Pingramnet with his youtube video!
Bike sounds way better after debaffled with a deeper low rumble that is not annoying on high revs.
It is exactly what i was looking for and the best part is no waist of money and time on an aftermarket pipe.
Now my next project is to try quiet a bit the claket and piff piff noise from the engine air intake! It is so loud that is covering the pipes mellow sound
Hawk600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #55
jhow34

I am glad you are satisfied with the sound. i was also. Cheapest mod ive ever done!
Old 11-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #56
Cagecam

Well I finally debaffled my 06 nomad. Quite satisfied how it turned out it only took me about 15 minutes including painting the ends.
Cagecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #57
CptCrusty1

Default Newly Debaffled 2007 Nomad - Lessons and Questions.

I read every single post on this thread and took the plunge.

Lesson 1. Don't let your small children help... they get mad if they can't play with the power tools.

Lesson 2. Buy QUALITY bi-metal 1 3/4 saws. I burned the first good one up (From a Big Hardware/Home improvement Store) on the first baffle, but it came right out one it was through.

Lesson 3. DO NOT USE A CORDLESS DRILL. I burned it up. To much draw overheated the battery which is now toast. $75 later a new Mekita plug in drill worked wonders and finished the 1st baffle in 3 minutes flat. Slid right out after I tapped it a couple times with a ball-peen hammer.

Lesson 4. USE QUALITY Saws... I know, I posted it twice, but the second one was from a "local" Hardware store and branded with their name.. Mistake. The saw wasn't straight, it was more expensive than the big name store's version, and required purchasing a special mandrel/drill bit thingy (technical term) to use. SUCKED! Never again.

Results. Nice sound. I'd like just a weeeee bit more sound, but the note is nice and low. A bit more ooomph on the highway came with the mod.

I don't want to kibitz the mileage too much or the FI system So... questions.

1. Does bypassing the Goatbladder increase volume? I believe someone said it increased power a bit.
2. Are there aftermarket pipes that give a bit more volume without getting too bad? I rode a Bouldevard 1800 on V&H shotguns and it was so loud as to be painful.
3. Results from tweaking the inner baffle a bit? Anyone done this one?
4. Will my wife ever understand why I like motorcycles?

Thanks
Crusty.

Last edited by CptCrusty1; 05-13-2013 at 12:44 PM. Reason: typo.
CptCrusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:04 PM   #58
PBAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmo78 View Post
I debaffled my stock Nomad 1600 mufflers this weekend. Just used a 2" hole saw (1 3/4" or 1 7/8" probably would have worked great, 2" may be a little big), and it was extremely simple. One cut, the baffles slid right out using some needle-nose pliers to pull them out. It took a little bit of time to cut through the welds, but with some patience, it wasn't all that hard to do. This was my first major mod to the bike and I didn't think it was all that hard to perform.

I love the way it sounds!! I don't think I'll do anything else to the exhaust after this. Maybe some intake and computer mods, but as for the sound, I love it. No backfiring or "popping" after this either, but it's only been about 15 miles since I did it.
Never say never. I did exactly the same thing and felt the same way for a long time, couple of years. Then, I felt, well, maybe just a little more sound. It kept nagging me until finally I changed out the stocks and went with the V&H pipes. Oh, that's better. Goat belly is gone, better sound and performance. Then I thought, well, what about removing the baffle insulation. Did that for a while. Then wanted more. So I bought a pair of ultimate baffles. Too loud. So now I'm back to V&H with baffles and insulation. That's were I'll probably stay.........until I change it again!
V&H Pipes, Dobeck TFI, Open Air Intake w/ dual K&N filters, Phat II risers, Mustang seat w/ Backrest, Chrome Radiator Cover & Housing, Breakaway Throttle Lock, Kurakyn Battery Indicator & Grips, Kurakyn Longhorn Highway Pegs, Tiregard 2 Pressure Monitor
PBAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:41 AM   #59
CptCrusty1

Oh yes... I'm there... I think a have a couple pin holes in the Goat Belly as I'm getting some additional ticking that doesn't appear to be coming from the engine. The Goat Belly is probably going to be more expensive then new pipes which will last longer anyway. I need to start padding the slush fund for better pipes now....

Crusty.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #60
PBAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCrusty1 View Post
Oh yes... I'm there... I think a have a couple pin holes in the Goat Belly as I'm getting some additional ticking that doesn't appear to be coming from the engine. The Goat Belly is probably going to be more expensive then new pipes which will last longer anyway. I need to start padding the slush fund for better pipes now....
I never had ticking in the goat belly, but I can say that I love the V&H pipes. The looks, the sound. After hearing how difficult changing the pipes can be, I bit the bullet and had the dealer do it, they removed the goat belly at the same time. But some folks have had problems with V&H cracked pipes after around 20k miles. I haven't had problems yet after 4000 miles. Cobra is the only other real choice for bagger duals on the Nomad. Good comments about them.

My recommendation is that when you decide to get the pipes, that you open your air intake and get a fuel processor at the same time. It make a big difference in performance. It's something you really notice when you roll on the throttle.
V&H Pipes, Dobeck TFI, Open Air Intake w/ dual K&N filters, Phat II risers, Mustang seat w/ Backrest, Chrome Radiator Cover & Housing, Breakaway Throttle Lock, Kurakyn Battery Indicator & Grips, Kurakyn Longhorn Highway Pegs, Tiregard 2 Pressure Monitor
PBAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement