November BOTM entry thread - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Vulcan Forums > Vulcan Forums Bike of the Month

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #11
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

BW, I have said it several time before but I can help my self. I love the green that was used on the customs. I don't know there is just something about it. Wish my V2K was that color with some of the chrome blacked out.
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #12
big worm
BOTM Winner, December 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Good lookin' bike! I think I'm going to end up with the same fairing and stereo over the winter. Polk Audio marine speakers too. I know I asked you before but I forgot yours was a custom. What is the width of the forks on the custom, is it different than the classic? Now I'm wondering if that VTX1800 fairing will fit or not!
the center to center on both are the same AFAIK but the classic has those covers over the forks between the triple trees... which would most likely make it an even better fit......i had to make covers out of abs piping for mine to make up the difference... but luckily the stainless clamps over the black abs mimmics the look of the kuryakyn iso grips and brake/shifter covers !!!
Pioneer (for now) 6X9 2-way speakers
Flh hardbags
Mustang "daytripper" seat
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
Homemade intake with K&N filter
Old 11-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #13
big worm

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedlin View Post
Looking nice BW.

I'd like to know more about your homemade air intake.
its a pretty simple setup... made a plate out of 3/8 aluminum (got it free) which bolts to a thunder adapter (got it off ebay for like $20) sized it so that i have about 1/2 inch or so smaller than the oem airbox cover with tabs left to use oem cover bolts as well, used a round k&n filter for that is about 6 3/8 inch round and probably 2 inch high (made for a harley quicksilver carb/intake) which i also got off ebay for around $20...so in all i have less than $50 into it... simple and cheap...lol it was going to cost me near that much just to buy a replacemnt oem filter for the stock intake !!!!
Flh hardbags
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII

Last edited by big worm; 11-08-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #14
smedlin
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by big worm View Post
its a pretty simple setup... made a plate out of 3/8 aluminum (got it free) which bolts to a thunder adapter (got it off ebay for like $20) sized it so that i have about 1/2 inch or so smaller than the oem airbox cover with tabs left to use oem cover bolts as well, used a round k&n filter for that is about 6 3/8 inch round and probably 2 inch high (made for a harley quicksilver carb/intake) which i also got off ebay for around $20...so in all i have less than $50 into it... simple and cheap...lol it was going to cost me near that much just to buy a replacemnt oem filter for the stock intake !!!!
You made my head hurt.

2004 Vulcan 2000
Old 11-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #15
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWVA_08V2k View Post
BW, I have said it several time before but I can help my self. I love the green that was used on the customs. I don't know there is just something about it. Wish my V2K was that color with some of the chrome blacked out.
Several brands stock that or something really similar.

If I were to re-paint a whole bike that green, I'd do this;

It's from dupli-color. It's a candy system, a silver metallic is sprayed down first with that translucent green sprayed on top. Makes it really deep and metallic. I'm planning on using the same system, only orange, on my bike. For the cost of matching a fairing, bags, and trunk into a two-tone that matches Kawsasaki, I could paint the whole bike in that duplicolor paint shop system. (And still have enough leftover to get pearl white paint for trim pieces and perhaps some stripes)

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Old 11-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #16
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

Quote:
Several brands stock that or something really similar.

If I were to re-paint a whole bike that green, I'd do this;

It's from dupli-color. It's a candy system, a silver metallic is sprayed down first with that translucent green sprayed on top. Makes it really deep and metallic. I'm planning on using the same system, only orange, on my bike. For the cost of matching a fairing, bags, and trunk into a two-tone that matches Kawsasaki, I could paint the whole bike in that duplicolor paint shop system. (And still have enough leftover to get pearl white paint for trim pieces and perhaps some stripes)
I have thought about using it. I just have not seen anyone use it before. I have painted a little bit. I am not pro but I have worked on some cars and they have turned out ok. I plan on getting me an air compressor and some tools (hopefully next year after we pay off some debts). My neighbor is a GM retire and has plenty of tools he lets me use as I please (he also likes to help) so I am not in a big hurry. This winter I got a windshield and crash bar coming so that should cure some of the fever to buy things for the bike.
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #17
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWVA_08V2k View Post
I have thought about using it. I just have not seen anyone use it before. I have painted a little bit. I am not pro but I have worked on some cars and they have turned out ok. I plan on getting me an air compressor and some tools (hopefully next year after we pay off some debts). My neighbor is a GM retire and has plenty of tools he lets me use as I please (he also likes to help) so I am not in a big hurry. This winter I got a windshield and crash bar coming so that should cure some of the fever to buy things for the bike.
You might talk to someone who has used that before if you go with that one. I've seen some pictures that look like a perfect candy apple green, I've seen other pictures of that same paint that was kind of bluish... not a very good color at all. My guess is, because it's a 'two coat' system, the proportions have to be right and the tools have to be set right!

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Old 11-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #18
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

Quote:
You might talk to someone who has used that before if you go with that one. I've seen some pictures that look like a perfect candy apple green, I've seen other pictures of that same paint that was kind of bluish... not a very good color at all. My guess is, because it's a 'two coat' system, the proportions have to be right and the tools have to be set right!
yes and sprayed evenly. Don't want to end up with a green tiger striped motorcycle. Or in your case of using orange Mike Tyson might think it would look good with his pet tigers. Maybe instill some fear in Roy from "Siegfried and Roy".
Old 11-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #19
big worm

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedlin View Post
You made my head hurt.
lol sorry..made it as clear as mud huh?... somtime i will take it apart to clean the filter... at that time i will take pics and start a thread on it matbe then it wil be clear as ummm swamp water ...
Flh hardbags
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
Old 11-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #20
pcarrell

OK, so we have two smokin' hot bikes already, but I'll throw my hat in the ring anyways. My ride is a little different flavor from those already shown.

Lets start with the basics......

Year: 2001
Model: Drifter
Eng size: 1500
Pipes: Vance & Hines Longshots
Seat: Fire & Steel
Wheels: Stock Spokes
Accessories: The list is long, check out the story
And the story: OK, here goes.........

I wanted bike that the wife and I could enjoy before she could no longer ride. You see, she has Muscular Dystrophy, and it's degenerative, so one day she won't be able to ride anymore, but in the meantime, we ride!

I've added floorboards for my wife (on custom made brackets), and did a ton of my own custom leatherwork (a skill I picked up many years ago). All of the floorboard skirts, tour pack leatherwork, and fender skirts are my own work. The tank bra and rear fender bib are from Chilowee leathers. There's Iso grips under the fringed and laced covers for my comfort. The pipes are Vance & Hines Longshots that have a nice throaty sound with a bit of bark with a twist of the wrist. I've also added a Meanstreak clutch pack with the 2 piece holders that give the bike a more positive feel. I also fabricated my own license plate lay down bracket that is totally hidden for a nice clean look. The tank badges and air cleaner emblems are from Zambini Bros (I've stripped all the brand labels from the bike totally). The tour pack is an old '69 Harley shovelhead pack (custom made brackets) that I fitted with a current model Harley wraparound backrest pad (to keep the wife planted). I created a bracket to move the rectifier under the radiator and in it's place on the left side I've mounted a 50's era chrome Harley tool box on a custom made bracket. I've also added amber fog lamps and a custom bag behind the Nomad style windshield. The mirrors have been swapped out for some Emge mirrors that are a bit more curvaceous. On the 2up seat, I stripped it down and added gel pads to it for comfort (mostly for the wife).

The future calls for a little more leather work, a fender light I've had for a while now, and I'm working on some home made lowers. After that, maybe paint, if I can make up my mind on something.

Personally, I like the solo look best, but I ride with the 2up look most of the time.

But enough words, how about some pics?

Before fog lights and mirrors.............

Old mirrors and a chrome spark plug box in place of the windshield bag.....
"Nadine", My 2001 Drifter 1500

Last edited by pcarrell; 11-10-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread