How Did You Sell Your Bike? - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > General Vulcan Talk

Old 11-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #21
Blue Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
My brother-in-law was selling a sportster several years ago in Kansas City. Guy calls, get direction, and comes by, Seems legit, asked to test ride it, he says ok. Never saw buyer or bike again. Cash and or DL is very good idea. At least have a buddie or 2 ride with them, incase they forget were you live.
Holy crap! What an awful feeling that must have been for your bother in law. I bet insurance didn't cover that either.

Frank
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #22
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sky View Post
Holy crap! What an awful feeling that must have been for your bother in law. I bet insurance didn't cover that either.

Frank
It should have! It was a stolen bike. Stolen is stolen even if you hand them the keys! At least the way I understand it, it certainly is in the eyes of the law. There was a case here in town where a girl took her parents car for a joyride and got in a wreck and killed someone. The police charged her with Grand Theft Auto even though it was her parents car and she took the keys right off of the coffee table!

That said, I'm with the others I'd never let someone test ride a bike (or a car!) unless I knew them well. I sold a car once and I signed the title and handed it to him, and he handed me cash. Told him to take it for a test drive, if he liked it, take it home and fill the title out. If not, bring it back and he can get his cash back. He didn't come back, I went to the bank! That's how I think I would handle a private sale of a bike as well.

You won't get as much, but, some dealers will sell bikes on consignment or even just buy them from you. They'll probably give you trade in value. It is a little less than private sale, but you get the money right now, don't have the risk or headache, and you are good to go.

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Last edited by Romans5.8; 11-08-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #23
R-man
Top Contributor

Not sure where you are located, but KSL.com out of Salt Lake has an excellent on-line classifieds service. Don't know the cost of placing an ad, but I know a lot of people around here (Southern Idaho) watch it for cars, bikes etc. I see bikes in there advertised from around the surrounding states.
Custom made luggage rack, Windshield & Lowers
Saddlebags, Passenger floorboards,
Passenger armrests
R-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #24
Gary W.
Top Contributor

Garage

Mine was on Craig's List by a nice older local gent (was selling due to some health problems, his wife had a "caniption" every time he got on it). He didn't allow a test ride, but he did take it up and down the street so I could hear how it ran and shifted.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #25
Lunatic
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
I was about to say the same thing. Or at the VERY least, they should have the deductible for your insurance up front.
Careful. That stranger you just handed your keys to isn't listed on your policy as a driver.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #26
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
Careful. That stranger you just handed your keys to isn't listed on your policy as a driver.
Well that's why, if he wrecked it, you wouldn't be covered. But if he stole it, and you went to the police and filed a police report, and then took that police report to your insurance, I would THINK that your insurance would cover it as stolen, just like if it was stolen out of the driveway. You gave him the keys but not ownership of the bike. Even if you leave the keys in your car, it's still theft when the thief drives off with it. The thief did not have your permission to take that car anywhere! The thief in this case, didn't have his permission to take that bike home!

Edit: wait, re-read your statement and mine. Ah, I gotcha. This is true!

Last edited by Romans5.8; 11-09-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:53 PM   #27
old

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steammaker View Post
As far as "TEST" rides I've seen it posted that the buyer can only test ride if they give you the purchase price in CASH to hold while they're out. That way if they wreck it they bought it...Sounds fair to me. A serious buyer shouldnt have a problem with that.
When I sold my dirt bike, I told the guy ahead of time "if he wanted to ride it, he had to put the cash in my hands to buy it" and if he wrecked it or tore it up it would be his. He had no problem with that.........bought the bike.........and was happy. FWIW
Old 11-10-2012, 01:47 AM   #28
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by old View Post
When I sold my dirt bike, I told the guy ahead of time "if he wanted to ride it, he had to put the cash in my hands to buy it" and if he wrecked it or tore it up it would be his. He had no problem with that.........bought the bike.........and was happy. FWIW
You got it. I do expect a dealer to let a serious buyer take a bike for a test ride. They are insured for such things. But the 'discount' you get from a private sale comes with some caveats. It wasn't necessarily gone over by a mechanic just before the sale, it probably won't be as well detailed, the owner isn't going to give me a temp tag, and I'm not going to get to ride it first. If I want all those things, I'll go to a dealer!

I hope serious bike buyers will not expect to be able to ride the bike without handing over some cash. I did test ride a bike a few days ago. A very good friend was considering selling his Honda Valkyrie and I was interested, so I took it for a ride. But, that's a friend, not a joe schmo off craigslist. In the end I decided I didn't like the riding position so, it was good I took it for a ride!

Old 12-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #29
ostbob

I would tell a buyer Ill take it to a dealer for them to give it a test ride and inspection. Take a refundable deposit to make sure their serious. As long as it didn't need anymore than a $200 in work he's bought the bike. Figure the cost of the inspection when listing the bikes sales price.

If he doesn't buy it I'll have the written inspection report to show any future buyers.
ostbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:21 PM   #30
Blue Sky

I put an ad on the free ebay classifieds and I cannot believe all the scam texts I get. They always ask "what is your best price on the item."

I never respond to them. I just wish some serious buyer would contact me.

Frank
Advertisement