Helmet vs how fast you ride. - Page 6 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Motorcycle Safety And Riding Gear Discussions

Old 11-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #51
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

Medication Time, Medication Time
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
SWVA_08V2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #52
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcanrules View Post

It is reminiscent of a kid i knew who loved to proclaim that wearing a seatbelt in a car isnt safe because he knew someone who might have survived a crash if they had been thrown from the car. Mostly he just wanted attention and to demonstrate via his outlandish claim that he was therefore "an independent thinker". Others recoiling only seemed to support his sense of how wisely independent he was.
I hear that all the time too. He's not wrong, technically, sort-of. People have died due to injuries caused by a seatbelt (though, I'd venture to say that any impact so great it could cause your seatbelt to kill you, would have been more than enough to kill you without it). People have also run off of bridges, been trapped in the water, and because of panic, unable to get their seatbelt off and drowned. HOWEVER, a whole lot more people have avoided death by wearing it. We know from numerous studies, some basic logic and understanding of what happens in an accident, AND many many statistical understandings, that you are more likely to survive with a seatbelt ON. Again, if you don't wanna wear it that's none of my business, but don't tell me you are doing it for SAFETY. That's just an excuse people use because they want to justify it!

Statistics can be manipulated, but I don't think any of these statistics are an out-and-out lie. Unemployment is an oft manipulated statistic because of how it's recorded. For example, after two years of being out of work, you are no longer unemployed. A person being laid off of a $50,000 a year factory job who then finds work for $12,000 a year part time, is no longer unemployed. Sometimes we can get a false sense of what's going on thanks to those statistics. That's why it's important to look at EXACTLY what is going on. What EXACTLY is being recorded.

People always throw out anecdotal stuff to somehow debunk years of studies. I met a guy once who claimed NOT wearing a helmet saved his life. He wrecked, and he slid into a lawn mower deck in a guys yard face first and broke his jaw in several places and knocked out most of his teeth. He figured that his bones 'breaking' lessened the impact, whereas if he had a helmet on, it would have snapped his neck from the impact. What he evidently wasn't aware of, is A) There really aren't recorded cases of neck injuries caused by a helmet. and B) That's how a helmet works! If he had a full face on, then the chin bar would flex with the rest of the helmet to dull the impact, and the internal liners would crush. If he had a 3/4 or half helmet, then, it would have been the same outcome!

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #53
Hatchcover

In my younger days (80's thru 90's) I kayaked whitewater rivers. Strangely enough, I never questioned running a river without a PFD or helmet. There were no requirements that I had to wear either, but I did. Of the thousands of people I've seen in kayaks I never saw one without their gear on. Maybe because it was implied that you were at some point going to be upside down banging your head off of rocks and you might need to stay conscious for self rescue. Anyway - I do the same each time I or my wife and I take to the bike. FF helmets and textile wear head to toe. People have asked how can you stand wearing gear like that when it's hot (actually, I feel pretty comfortable) out? I tell them, the only time I need to wear it; is when I'm in a crash and leave it at that.
Hatchcover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #54
Seņor Pete

No matter how hot, law or no law, I will still wear a helmet. The last thing I heard when I was side-swipped by car was the CRUNCH of my helmet as I hit the road. Other body parts were not so lucky but eventually healed.
RAM cup holder // Trunk Rack
Scala Rider G9 ProSet
Seņor Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #55
JTucker

I wear a bell Revolver Modular. If I get hot, I ride with the visor up and the shades down. I open the front at intersections or low speed. What it boiled down to for me was 1st: I am ugly enough without a bunch of road rash or a caved in face. 2nd: When I was 14, I was hit by a car on my dirt bike when my brakes failed and I could not stop on the trail and went into the road. My Helmet saved my life because it first hit the car, then the pavement. All I ended up with was bruises and 6 stitches in my ankle. Never ever will I consider riding without a helmet. I also got real serious about the face shield after a 55mph bumble bee won the battle with my face. Bike got a windshield too!
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:21 AM   #56
buster711

Default my helmet my life

To each his own...I bounced off enough trees and dumped enough blood & skin while growing up trailing so I NEVER even take a short jaunt to the store without ALL my gear ("HAT", glasses, leather coat and boots). But as said here "to each his own"...I have a full face, a 3/4 and a skull....for me it depends on what the weather is like as to what I wear that day...Grew up with the habit and when I started street riding it just came natural to gear up to go with a better chance of returning in the same shape as when I left....lots of my bud's ride bare and some even tease me about how I look...but I just give them that same old smile and they know what it means without saying a word...
buster711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:25 AM   #57
Cheesefood

Doctors call them donorcycles for a reason.

In IL, there's no law. It's a perfect example of why we don't need laws on books: you chose to follow a suggestion or not. No guarantee anything bad will happen, but if it does you know that wearing a helmet is better than not. Any NFL fan knows what happens when you hit your head at much slower speeds with something far softer than a tree.

Any Twins fans here? Justin Morneau was out a year+ from bumping his head into another guys KNEE. Not tree, knee.

I like my brain and my face. I'm a pretty, pretty man. No need to let some mean old asphalt ruin what my mama worked so hard to create.
Cheesefood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement