900 Classic veses 900 Custom...front end ? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 11-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
Vulcan Rayman

Default 900 Classic verses 900 Custom...front end ?

Forget other bikes, I'm talking 900 Custom verses 900 Classic. I have the 900 Custom and really like it but I'm curious...

Does the 900 Classic track and turn (handle better in general) than the 900 Custom?

The wide front tire and normal rake of the Classic, verses .... the Custom's larger diameter narrow tire with more extreme front rake?

http://www.scootersperformance.com/t...ake_trail.html

__________________________ 2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

Last edited by Vulcan Rayman; 11-06-2012 at 09:26 AM. Reason: title
Vulcan Rayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
Strompilot
Top Contributor

I don't know that one actually handles better than the other, but the larger diameter wheel on the Custom makes it more sensitive to road surface irregularities. The fatter, smaller diameter tire of the Classic is more stable. The Custom tends, I believe, to dive into a curve or turn a bit more abruptly than the Classic, where the Classic is a bit smoother going into a curve or turn--leans and rolls more predictably, IMO. But as for overall handling, both handle very well in my experience. To me, the Custom is best suited for a profiling riding style, although I'm sure it tours just fine. The Classic is much better for long distance riding and touring as it seems to be a bit more "planted" on the road.

'09 650 VStrom
Sharing my wife's '09 Classic LT (sold)
Strompilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:48 AM   #3
steve900c

We have both a Custom and an LT in the family and were having this conversation not long ago -- my Custom "feels" lighter and easier to turn or, perhaps, easier to lean into a turn than my dad's LT. This is even with a MS batwing fairing on my Custom. There's a good bit more mass associated with the Classic/LT tire that plays a role (I'm not sure of the weight differences, if any, between the rims). I agree that the LT feels more "stable" -- and the tire/spokes combo should certainly be able to absorb bumps a bit easier.

However, seating position and handlebar width/angle will matter greatly too in terms of the leverage applied to the bars for turning... as will rider weight and any other accessories like bags or top cases. I came to the Custom from a Ninja 500, so am used to (and I like) the slightly "lighter" feel of the Custom, as well as the flatter bend of the handlebars.
Clear turn signal lenses and Kury license plate frame w/extra brake light
Memphis Shades Alley Cat quick release fairing <or> MS batwing w/9" shield...
Mustang seat w/driver backrest
Mutazu MU Hard Bags
HR2 bar risers
Kury "Premium Mini" floorboards
steve900c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Typically, skinnier front wheels will be easy to lean into turns and handle 'quicker', but the trade-off will be stability. Essentially, the fat front tire resists the leaning a little more, which means in rough pavement you won't even feel it and on the superslab it'll track very nicely, but in the twisties you'll be pushing harder and reacting slower than a custom. And vice versa, with the custom fighting over rough pavement or tracking a little looser, but being more 'flickable' through the turns. The skinny tire will also 'follow' grooves in the pavement, where as the fat tire will just barrel right over it.

Plus the fat tire looks WAY better than the bicycle tire that's on the custom. And you don't have to use a bell and a pink basket!

LOL, just kidding I think you'll be happy with either, whichever you think looks better!

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
Scott_in_TX
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve900c View Post
However, seating position and handlebar width/angle will matter greatly too in terms of the leverage applied to the bars for turning...
I think the question on tires has been answered very well.
But, I want to point out and agree with Steve here.
The handlebar width/reach will make a huge difference in slow speed maneuvers.

The wider the grips and further the reach; the more body movement you will need to make the same turn.

My Classic LT had wider bars and further reach than my buddies Custom.

Scott

Commander IIs
All Balls tapered bearings
Clearview re-curve tall sheild w/vent
Avon grips with Rays Throttle Mod
Thunder BAK for stock covers
Power Commander V
Cobra Tri-oval slipons
Wrapped headers
Corbin Dual Touring (w/Comfort foam)
Wolo Bad Boy
Glove compartment keyless mod
Can-am antennae
Ipod connector
Saddlebag side and top trim

Happiness does not consist in pastimes and amusements but in virtuous activities.
Scott_in_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
Vulcan Rayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_in_TX View Post
I think the question on tires has been answered very well.
But, I want to point out and agree with Steve here.
The handlebar width/reach will make a huge difference in slow speed maneuvers.

The wider the grips and further the reach; the more body movement you will need to make the same turn.

My Classic LT had wider bars and further reach than my buddies Custom.

Scott
The handlebar width/reach did not feel right for me (just 5'7" but have long monkey arms) on the Classic and a big reason for me buying a the Custom.
All the streaching to reach the Classic handelbar feels clumsy for me. The handlebar on the Clsaaic also gives me the impression that the front end is way long and akward feeling. I think the Classic would be great (for me) with the Custom handlebar. Just me thinking, as I have not driven a Classic.

If the Custom had an extra 4" in height , I would like it even better. I think!

__________________________ 2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Vulcan Rayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement