Time for new tires - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1500

Old 09-25-2012, 11:32 PM   #1
cgw_niu

Garage
Default Time for new tires

I am the original owner of a 2008 1500N FI Classic and love the bike. I have put 14000 miles on the bike and need new tires. I am probably a little late getting them but definitely need some now. My original tires are "Bridgestone G702 OE Tire 150/80 B16/G 71H" I was fairly happy with them, but this is my first bike and really would not know better.

I am curious how long tires on a bike would normally last. I drive 35 miles to work and all but 5 miles of that is highway. I usually ride my bike until it stays over 105* and stay off of it until it gets below 110* again. Although I am avoiding the worst of the summer, I know how hot that blacktop and concrete gets. I am of course a rather big guy too and I know that skews the mileage I would get on the tires to be not in my favor.

What has been you experience for how many miles that you get on your set of tires for where you live? Also, what is the price that you pay to change the rear tire at your local shop? I am not sure what the going rate is for that kind of work.

Thanks,

Chris
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 12:29 AM   #2
PatC
Lifetime Premium

I usually change mine at 10-12k. I buy both tires at the same time and change both at the same time. I buy them online as a rule and have them changed over at a shop. Shop time is about 80 bucks an hour here. They usually charge me about 120 dollars to mount and balance both of them. I also buy new tubes while I'm at it.
light bar, 2" risers,
Isogrips, Fatbar crashbars,
offset hiway pegs, tank bib,
passenger floorboards,
new brake pedal, throttle lock,
Cobra Lowboy Shotgun pipes,
Baron's Big Air relocated right side,
tombstone tail light,forkbag,
detachable hard leather bags,
alarm, power port, clock,
and a cool cupholder
PatC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:32 AM   #3
whoaru99
Top Contributor

Tire life can be highly variable. I've seen reports of life for a given bike and tire combo vary 2:1, or more, in some cases.
whoaru99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
WilburDink

IMO Bridgestones are awful.(others may vary) For me I have found over the years that Metzler 880s are the best. Keep them inflated close to what the tire wall says and they will last you a good long time. As Pat said, get new tubes with new tires and buy online. I hear of some folks reusing tubes, but I think it's a bad idea. It's about $60-65 for rear and & $40 for front tire change here.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
Bluto

Back when I had my Suzuki, it came with IRC tires. They lasted for 12-15. Now I have the 1500 Vulcan and it's time to buy new also. They are the same as yours. Stock Bridgestone rubber. I am thinking of Wide Whites to set off the Black bike.
I thought the Avon Gangster tires looked good. I read all reviews for anything I buy on-line and the reviews look good.
Does anybody have these tires ?
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
PatC
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilburDink View Post
IMO Bridgestones are awful.(others may vary) For me I have found over the years that Metzler 880s are the best. Keep them inflated close to what the tire wall says and they will last you a good long time. As Pat said, get new tubes with new tires and buy online. I hear of some folks reusing tubes, but I think it's a bad idea. It's about $60-65 for rear and & $40 for front tire change here.

It depends, I suppose, on many factors. I had stock Bridgestones when I bought the bike, they lasted about 11,000 miles. Then I went to Metzler 880s. They lasted almost 13k, then I bought some Metzler 880 whitewalls. Apparently they were Brazilian, not German Metzlers, because at less than 7k they developed cracks in the sidewalls that looked like rubber rot. So I went back to Bridgestone WWs (got a screaming deal on them) and so far so good.

The key to tire life and handling of the bike is in proper inflation, IMO, as much as brand of tire. I run 40 on the rear and 38 on the front. When I let them get too low, my mileage drops, the tire life drops, and handling gets a little sluggish. You wouldn't think 5-6 PSI makes a lot of difference, but it does.
light bar, 2" risers,
passenger floorboards,
and a cool cupholder

Last edited by PatC; 09-26-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:55 AM   #7
Sully

Bridgestones suck... I had a set on my nomad when I bought it and they were all feathered. The bike came with another set of Bridgestones so I put them on thinking the previous issues was air pressure. I watched my air pressures and the back tire faired out better but the front tire is feathered. Going back to Metzlers...

I'm also bumping up my rear tire to a 160 rather than the stock 150 on the 2003.
Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
winstoncup

+1 on replacing both tires/tubes/etc. at the same time... I bought Continentals for my 1500 three years ago and have about 4K on them with no issues... have always heard good things on the Metzlers, but have had great luck with Continentals on my Audi so gave them a shot on the bike, so far so good... hth...
Muzzy true-dual exhaust
Mustang seat, bags and trim
Memphis Shades windshield
Cobra rack and passenger pads
BreakAway Cruise Control
Kuryakyn Black ISO Grips
Chrome and more chrome...

Last edited by winstoncup; 11-07-2012 at 03:26 PM.
winstoncup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
R-man
Top Contributor

+1 on the Metzler 880's. I get about 12K on the rear, about double that on the front. I don't mind re-using a tube once as long as the age isn't a factor (like if it is only a year old and hasn't had any flats during that time).

For what it's worth, for the last two tire purchases, motorcyclesuperstore.com has been the best price I could find, free shipping and have always had excellent service.
Custom made luggage rack, Windshield & Lowers
Saddlebags, Passenger floorboards,
Passenger armrests
R-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #10
PatC
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully View Post
Bridgestones suck... I had a set on my nomad when I bought it and they were all feathered. The bike came with another set of Bridgestones so I put them on thinking the previous issues was air pressure. I watched my air pressures and the back tire faired out better but the front tire is feathered. Going back to Metzlers...

I'm also bumping up my rear tire to a 160 rather than the stock 150 on the 2003.
My Metzlers did the same thing. In fact, every set of tires I've had has scalloped on the front tire. I'm on my 4th set now.
light bar, 2" risers,
passenger floorboards,
and a cool cupholder