clutch clicks - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 11-07-2012, 06:40 AM   #11
pacomutt
Lifetime Premium

I'd be looking at the needle bearing, and the bushing and thrust washer behind the clutch basket.
This bearing only come into play when the engine is running and the clutch is disengaged. When the bike is moving normally in gear, and the clutch lever is released, there is no movement of this bearing, and no noise from it.

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger

Last edited by pacomutt; 11-07-2012 at 07:35 AM.
pacomutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #12
sfair
Top Contributor

I think that the poster assumed it was a clutch problem because of the noise coming and going with the engage/release of the clutch, but the clutch is not the actual problem. When the belt is under load, the pulley is quiet, but under coast, the pulley is free to slap back and forth on the output shaft thus making the noise.
Tightening the pulley nut does no good as the nut only stops the pulley from falling off. It does not tighten the pulley on the output shaft.

Simply removing the front pulley would confirm or rule out this problem.
sfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #13
Old Syko

Anyone who can hear bearings rolling in an oil bath should be working for SETI.

Just saw a 900 Custom late last week getting a new output shaft and pulley so the OP certainly doesn't have the first or only. This was the second time for this bike but they chose to only replace the pulley the first time and it ran quite a while.

PM although the needle bearing behind the clutch is plausible I wonder. Has anyone really witnessed this before? Sure makes me wonder?
Old Syko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #14
pacomutt
Lifetime Premium

OP, can you produce that noise under all these conditions together?:

engine warm
stopped with rear brake applied
in gear with clutch pulled in
engine running at idle or above

.........Bob Seger
Old 11-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #15
sfair
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Syko View Post
Just saw a 900 Custom late last week getting a new output shaft and pulley so the OP certainly doesn't have the first or only. This was the second time for this bike but they chose to only replace the pulley the first time and it ran quite a while.
Unless Kawasaki has come out with a tech bulletin on this problem saying otherwise, I would be applying this compound on every repair:

http://www.mapro.skf.com/products/lub_lgaf3.htm
Old 11-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #16
pacomutt
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
Unless Kawasaki has come out with a tech bulletin on this problem saying otherwise, I would be applying this compound on every repair:

http://www.mapro.skf.com/products/lub_lgaf3.htm
Absolutely!
In the pic, it looks like they were picturing what it looked like if not applied to the outer race of that bearing. But that would be a bore that was machined or worn too loose to support a bearing.

.........Bob Seger
Old 11-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #17
pacomutt
Lifetime Premium

Since it is for moving parts like jack screws, do you think it's much different from Never Seize?

.........Bob Seger
Old 11-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #18
sfair
Top Contributor

That compound is to prevent metal fretting, such as what seems to be happening between the pulley and the output shaft. There have been reports of what appears to be rust and corrosion , with subsequent wear, between these two parts when taken apart. That is a sign of metal fretting.
The splines must fit tightly without being an interference fit.
If there is ANY movement between pulley and shaft, possibly combined with a belt that is too tight, and you have a formula for fretting to occur.
It is not for components that are moving, it is for compnents that fit together and experience movement with each other almost on a microscopic scale.

I am not sure if it is similar to anti-seize... probably moly grease with a high percentage of moly might be a substitute, but application of the correct compound can never go wrong.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #19
pacomutt
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
That compound is to prevent metal fretting, such as what seems to be happening between the pulley and the output shaft. There have been reports of what appears to be rust and corrosion , with subsequent wear, between these two parts when taken apart. That is a sign of metal fretting.
The splines must fit tightly without being an interference fit.
If there is ANY movement between pulley and shaft, possibly combined with a belt that is too tight, and you have a formula for fretting to occur.
It is not for components that are moving, it is for compnents that fit together and experience movement with each other almost on a microscopic scale.

I am not sure if it is similar to anti-seize... probably moly grease with a high percentage of moly might be a substitute, but application of the correct compound can never go wrong.
Probably a good annual winter maintenance project for us with belt drives!

.........Bob Seger
Old 11-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #20
sfair
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacomutt View Post
Probably a good annual winter maintenance project for us with belt drives!
I just cannot see a downside to that idea.
The alternative is a teardown, which is never fun or entertaining.

If you have ever had occasion to change the ball bearings on a mechanical contraption and you find a lot of orange/red rust on the shaft and bearing, that may be an example of fretting between the shaft and the bearing race. Next thing that happens is shaft/bearing housing, and bearing race erode, now one or both are loose and you spin the bearing in the housing, or the bearing is almost impossible to remove. Of course, a seized bearing can do the same thing, but that is a different topic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement