Simple Wood frame Jack - Page 4 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 08-03-2011, 11:27 PM   #31
Ramakill

I made one of these after reading this post and have found it brilliant. I do have 1 question though:

Anyone had any problems with getting it under the frame after fitting the lowering link (for which I guess the jack would come in handy for as well)??
Ramakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2011, 01:38 AM   #32
pacomutt
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramakill View Post
I made one of these after reading this post and have found it brilliant. I do have 1 question though:

Anyone had any problems with getting it under the frame after fitting the lowering link (for which I guess the jack would come in handy for as well)??
I suppose you could run it through a jointer or table saw as necessary to get the height you need......

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger
pacomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:26 PM   #33
carriggjr

Just got the front pulley for mine, but have not got to installing it ye,t how do you like it?
carriggjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #34
ironbutt

CAN YOU SEND PIC TO MY E-MAIL. I COULD NOT OPEN, JUST A RED X. THANKS
jm83444@gmail.com

ironbutt
ironbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #35
MrClean
Top Contributor

There are pictures on the second page from another member. Evidently I was using putfile at the time I attached the photo and putfile is long gone. I cannot find a similar photo on my photobucket account. No problem, as I said, detailed photos on the second page that will get you through. I still use mine and just did last month for some maintenance. Will be checking the steering bearings for tightness either this weekend or next.

I don't get around the motorcycle boards much anymore. I just didn't have anything to offer but what I did have others were parroting as I parroted once long ago SO the information is out there. I haven't gotten to use my bike as much this last summer as the summers before. My next oil change is do at 49,000 miles and it will be a while. I did use the bike nearly every work day in the last 3 months, but, I was laid off from my previous employer that was 23 miles one way and now work only 8 miles away. The road is 55 mph tops too. That means I now get 45+ mpg as compared to the 40 maybe that I would get going to work on the SuperSlab. I had to go down by my old work a couple weeks ago and came home in the normal traffic that I use to navigate. I was scared to death. Did I REALLY do that every day with little thought to it? Like rollerskating in a buffalo heard which everyone knows, by verse, you just can't do.

Took my bike to Oshkosh last year, pulling a little Harbor Freight Tag Along trailer and camped out there with a buddy for the whole week. The EAA airshow is fantastic if you love planes. Came home all in one day with the last 4 hours of it doing 90 in 105 degree heat. I had to get home you see, my daughter was moving on the last day of my planned vacation, and my wife informed me that there were projects I just HAD to get done that day for her. Three days later, after work even, I was still finishing up in the wee hours. Mounting TV's and moving washing machines, dryers and whatnot. She did it again just a month ago but I didn't have any trips due to the employment situation.

Build that jack Ironbutt, it looks just like it sounds. two boards, screwed together, with a handle through their wide side so that you can push down on the handle and pick the frame of your bike up off the floor. Only a couple inches, but that's enough it seems.
MrClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:30 AM   #36
tang56

I'll post a pic fo ya!! Mine is made of two 2x8 and capped with a oak 1x4 for extra hight. I added the carpet and handle.....cuz thats just me!! It works Great!! and I got about three bucks in it!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	009 (640x480).jpg
Views:	250
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	13048  

Last edited by tang56; 08-31-2012 at 09:33 AM.
tang56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #37
Against_the_grain

I made one for less than 10 bucks and an hour of me time in the garage. Thanks for sharing!
Against_the_grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #38
TurcoLoco

I would have made this simple jack if I didn't already have a $20 rear wheel stand which lifts the bike to a comparable height and also very stable.
That is what I used on my Vulcan Custom since it has no center stand.

For more serious lifting, I opted for the HFT's side lift. It goes lower (2.5") than the cheaper model (4.5") and also lifts up to a tad over 30" which is awesome for all around bottom end work. I used a 25% Off coupon when it was on sale for $179.99. I ended up paying a little over $160 which includes tax and 27-month full coverage.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 11-06-2012 at 12:57 PM.
TurcoLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #39
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I would have made this simple jack if I didn't already have a $20 rear wheel stand which lifts the bike to a comparable height and also very stable.
That is what I used on my Vulcan Custom since it has no center stand.

For more serious lifting, I opted for the HFT's side lift. It goes lower than the cheaper model and also lifts up to a tad over 30" which is awesome for all around bottom end work. I used a 25% Off coupon when it was on sale for $179.99. I ended up paying a little over $160 which includes tax and 27-month full coverage.
How well dose that lift work. I was looking at them online the other day.
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
SWVA_08V2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #40
TurcoLoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWVA_08V2k View Post
How well dose that lift work. I was looking at them online the other day.
I have read the others' feedback on HFT and they were all positive, same as mine. I lifted my Vulcan 900 Custom with no sag at all and it seemed stable enough so that I didn't have to use the straps.
Also at two different heights, there is a dead bolt that secures the lift so even if the lift quit on you while the bike was up, it wouldn't fall down.
It is also easy to move the lift around (when empty) by means of its wheels.

Lifting a bike 2.5' from the ground makes a big difference!
I believe for anyone with a bad/sensitive back, this lift would make even an oil change a snap.

Side note: I noticed my Vmax was not compatible with this lift due to its bottom so I got 2 6' 8x2 wood panels.
I will attach them side by side then put a 16" 4x4 at the end as a wheel stopper or may be bolt something like this at the end.

So, whenever I want, I could convert my side lift into something like this.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 11-06-2012 at 05:58 PM.
TurcoLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement