What is the best air kit for a vulcan 900 custom? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 11-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
scrapiron
Lifetime Premium

VN1600 Classic with Hypercharger, Cobra Pro Tune with Vance&Hines Big Shot pipes... runs like a MoFo!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1352162431.225467.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	14113

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
scrapiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #12
dwhit

Wow a lot of suggestions. I'm beginning to think I should change out the pipes as well because just an air kit may not increase the performance. I was leaning towards barons because they indicated that i do not have to have a power commander
dwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #13
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhit View Post
Wow a lot of suggestions. I'm beginning to think I should change out the pipes as well because just an air kit may not increase the performance. I was leaning towards barons because they indicated that i do not have to have a power commander
If you do both pipes and intake you will need to have a fuel processor.

When you add an intake, you add more air into the engine, but the fuel injection system (which uses a very basic 'map' type system, it doesn't have the complicated sensors and computers your car's fuel injection system has to automatically add more fuel to mix with the additional air) doesn't add enough extra fuel in order to make it run properly, resulting in a lean condition that could damage the engine. Intake ALONE is okay, because the restrictive stop pipes won't allow exhaust gasses to escape well enough to allow fresh air IN to the engine. Pipes ALONE is okay because the restrictive intake doesn't take advantage of the better exhausting engine. BOTH however, results in much more air in the combustion chamber. So you have to have a fuel processor to match the extra air, with extra fuel.

It's, coincidentally, why you won't see gains without doing all three. Just the intake or just the exhaust, alone, result in about the same amount of air in the combustion chamber, this it can't burn more fuel, thus it can't develop more power. If you did intake and exhaust, you'd have more air, but not more fuel. Resulting in still no real gains, AND a potentially damaging lean condition. All three however, and it all comes alive.

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #14
WhiteWi
BOTM Winner, March 2013

Garage

Quick question. I got full de baffle on my stock pipes. If I upgrade to Baron intake do I need to buy anything else for fuel management?
WhiteWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement