clutch clicks - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 08-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
phillyboy07

Default clutch clicks

My bike started making this weird clicking noise when I squeeze the clutch. After several rides I notice that the clicking does not start until the bike is warm and it does not do it all the time. The clicks speed goes with the speed of the bike. Moving faster makes clicking faster. I don't notice the noise unless the clutch is in or moving in nuetral. I just put the bike in nuetral while the engine was cold and moved it around no noise or clicks. Any guesses where to start?
phillyboy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
SteveJB
Top Contributor

the only thing that comes to mind is that the clutch isn't releasing completely, but that wouldn't account for the sound in neutral. are you sure it isn't going on oll the time and you only hear it when you throttle down?
SteveJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
phillyboy07

The dealer just informed me that the output shaft needs to be replaced along with the front sprocket and drive belt. $ 1800.00 or more. Time to sell this thing for parts and get a newer ,bigger bike.
phillyboy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
Denis

What year is your bike and how many miles?

The VN900LT does not have a sealed bearing on the output shaft to the drive pulley but rather a lubricated style "ball" bearing. It is sealed with an "O" ring and output sleeve (collar) on the main output shaft. Quite visible if you remove the drive pulley and sleeve. This bearing is lubricated through the oil system. When the bike is cold you hear nothing, but as the oil and bearing heats up the viscosity changes...things get "loose" so to speak. You can easily hear the "ball" bearings now "tick" as they roll around the bearing housing and against each other in there. You can also hear them as you wheel/push the vulcan by hand in say your garage. Obviously you hear very little when the clutch is engaged and the engine is working...gets drowned up. What you describe is quite normal to an obvious degree dependent on the age/miles and maintenance of you ride..like good oil changes. Mine does this...normal. You may want to just see if this is what your hearing before you go to $1800 or get rid of the VN. Here is a parts layout for the 2008 http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...ak4n#sch549415. Refer to the OEM Transmission section. The part numbers for a 2008 model is 92152, 92055 and the "Ref. Crankcase" label on the bearing. You can clearly see the exposed "Ball bearings". This is not a sealed unit. You may want to check the bearing should you find the noise to be excessive. Therefore you can see how under different conditions you may or not hear the "click/ticking" noise. All good...ride on!

Last edited by Denis; 11-06-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
sfair
Top Contributor

Output shaft and pulley splines are worn. I do not think that bearings are the problem here.

Last edited by sfair; 11-06-2012 at 01:43 PM.
sfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
Denis

How do you know those details sfair? I must of miss something. I don't recall any such details in his posted statements but a vague reference from the dealer. IMO and experience with dealers/garages who love to change many things, I'd check it out for myself. Easy check. Maybe phillyboy07 can shed some light. I'd like to know if those details are fact and if others have had any of the same issues on the VN900. I know the VN2000 has such similar "detail" issues (with different symptoms) but none that I have heard of on the 900. Interesting.

Last edited by Denis; 11-06-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
sfair
Top Contributor

1. Careful analysis of symptoms.
2. Dealer synopsis.
3. History.
4. Output shaft bearings are probably caged, ( do not know that for sure, but full load bearings are expensive) so, no noise.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #8
Denis

1. Careful analysis of symptoms....
2. Dealer synopsis.
3. History.
4. Output shaft bearings are probably caged, ( do not know that for sure, but
full load bearings are expensive) so, no noise.

1. I'd call that reading into it...not facts...
2. That's an assumption - I'd never believe a Dealer...been there many times...that's History in itself.
3. History...have you seen this exact issue before? Is there a known issue here? I believe many of us would like to know, I certainly do or are you refering to something else?
4. I guarrantee you they are as I described and there is noise under the conditions that I stated and fit exactly the facts stated. Very well investigated on my part.Doesn't mean they are all the same...what is!

Anyhow it's good to have two points of view. Phillyboy07 now has options. Again perhaps he/she can fill in the blanks with details/facts as to factually seeing the problem 1st hand. Either way it be nice to know if the dealer/you is for real not from analysis but observation.

Thanks for your input, enligtens me on how some answer are given...
Old 11-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #9
Steammaker
BOTM Winner, April 2014

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
1. Careful analysis of symptoms....
2. Dealer synopsis.
3. History.
4. Output shaft bearings are probably caged, ( do not know that for sure, but
full load bearings are expensive) so, no noise.

1. I'd call that reading into it...not facts...
2. That's an assumption - I'd never believe a Dealer...been there many times...that's History in itself.
3. History...have you seen this exact issue before? Is there a known issue here? I believe many of us would like to know, I certainly do or are you refering to something else?
4. I guarrantee you they are as I described and there is noise under the conditions that I stated and fit exactly the facts stated. Very well investigated on my part.Doesn't mean they are all the same...what is!

Anyhow it's good to have two points of view. Phillyboy07 now has options. Again perhaps he/she can fill in the blanks with details/facts as to factually seeing the problem 1st hand. Either way it be nice to know if the dealer/you is for real not from analysis but observation.

Thanks for your input, enligtens me on how some answer are given...
This man answered you out of kindness & wanting to help. Why argue? I'm sure he has some mechanical background & that his intentions were NOT to send you on a wild goose chase. Look into his suggestions or go pay the stealer $1800. We're all here to help each other with our issues & talk motorcycles & such in general.

Last edited by Steammaker; 11-06-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Steammaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:52 PM   #10
sfair
Top Contributor

Of course, any possibilities are pure guesswork on my part as I am 4000 miles from the bike, but I feel pretty confident that it is not ball bearings rolling around hitting each other in the races making this noise. Sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement