Helmet vs how fast you ride. - Page 4 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Motorcycle Safety And Riding Gear Discussions

Old 11-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #31
Old Syko

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Statistics are sort of like history, in a way. "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Catch my drift?

Oh, by the way, see you at the polls.
And those who study history through flawed visions gain nothing by their efforts.
Old Syko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #32
Old Bear
Lifetime Premium

Having been properly taught, studied and used statistics, I know how useful they can be, when used properly. The problem is when folks that don't understand statistics try to use them, OR when dirtbags twist statistical results for some agenda. Example: What is the most dangerous acreage on the planet? Hospitals! My god, the fatality rate there is through the roof! According to statistics, the likelihood of you dieing increases dramatically if you go to a hospital. So whatever you do, regardless of what happens to you, stay away from hospitals!
Old Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #33
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

Speaking of Statistics, for those who like the movie Anchorman will appreciate this.

1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
SWVA_08V2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #34
whoaru99
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Syko View Post
And those who study history through flawed visions gain nothing by their efforts.
Except that they're not flawed in this case.

Frankly, I don't need any statistics to know you're less likely to die in a MC crash if wearing a helmet, it's just common sense. The stats are just icing on the cake.

Last edited by whoaru99; 11-06-2012 at 11:56 AM.
whoaru99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #35
Old Syko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
Having been properly taught, studied and used statistics, I know how useful they can be, when used properly. The problem is when folks that don't understand statistics try to use them, OR when dirtbags twist statistical results for some agenda. Example: What is the most dangerous acreage on the planet? Hospitals! My god, the fatality rate there is through the roof! According to statistics, the likelihood of you dieing increases dramatically if you go to a hospital. So whatever you do, regardless of what happens to you, stay away from hospitals!
OB I used this very argument at a staff meeting one morning because I got tired of being inundated with flawed misinterpreted figures from folks with their own agenda. Although I did it rather tongue in cheek they returned to the table the next morning with verifiable facts and a new outlook. Turned out the indisputable facts they were giving me the day before were in fact not so indisputable when the proper information was brought forth. We still came to basically the same conclusion but afterward they knew how and why the got there.

SWVA You got it brother. If the stats for the success of sex panther aren't good enough, nothing is. I'm starting to wonder about you.

Whoru99 you do understand, every time I make a comment here I just lean back with a big grin on my face and wonder what you'll come up with next don't ya? Ya did get the part about my wearing different helmets right? Doubt I would bother if I didn't think I needed one. All I needed was eyes and ears for that decision, not statistics. Good Lord! I just spent more for new leathers than I paid for my first car.

BTW, numbers never lie. i.e. the hospital statistics mentioned above. It's the source
Old 11-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #36
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Syko View Post
SWVA You got it brother. If the stats for the success of sex panther aren't good enough, nothing is. I'm starting to wonder about you.
I am that desperate attempt at comic relief during a dramatic movie. The quality is low, usually not very funny, but for some reason they feel it's necessary to include it but don't know why.
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #37
69sscamaro

What do you call someone that doesn't wear a helmet?

A potential donor! Told to me by my Dr. as I was holding my helmet waiting on him.
69sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #38
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69sscamaro View Post

A potential donor! Told to me by my Dr. as I was holding my helmet waiting on him.
Phillip, the hyper hypo. "My mother's a little over protective"
Old 11-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #39
Old Syko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWVA_08V2k View Post
I am that desperate attempt at comic relief during a dramatic movie. The quality is low, usually not very funny, but for some reason they feel it's necessary to include it but don't know why.
Must be my brother from another mother!
Old 11-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #40
Old Syko

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69sscamaro View Post

In my infinite wisdom I call such a person, intelligent enough to make his own decisions and accept the consequences. Call him a future organ donor if you like but at least he's not a sheep. He made his own decisions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement