Tech guys - adding a radio antenna - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > General Vulcan Talk

Old 08-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage
Default Tech guys - adding a radio antenna

Hey all!

So I got my hands on an Electra Glide Tour Pak that's gonna be mounted to my Vulcan. I've got an el-cheap-o shark stereo. (Works good enough for what I use it for) but the FM reception sucks and I like to listen to the radio, not just my iPod (would love to catch a ball game or something on it). It has a little sire antenna that sticks out, like a pig tail.

My question is, if I mounted an antenna on that tour pak (there's tons out there that mount onto it) could I, and more importantly, HOW could I wire that to the pigtail antenna on the shark? What type of wiring would I use? Can I just make a regular solder joint between them? Would that type of thing even work?

Thanks,

John

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #2
Strompilot
Top Contributor

Try Sierra Electronics at www.sierra-mc.com
They have whatever you may need for motorcycle electronics.

'09 650 VStrom
Strompilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #3
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad46 View Post
Try Sierra Electronics at www.sierra-mc.com
They have whatever you may need for motorcycle electronics.
I wasn't looking for the antenna, I know where I can get one. I was just curious, as I don't really know what the requirements are for an antenna to work, how to get it all 'wired up'. If I can solder into the pigtail coming out of the amp, etc.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
Woody

From previous comments it sounds like your system is not like most (if a single wire for antenna connection). Most use coaxial cable. A simple splice of the inner conductor and outer shield would work to some degree for a broadcast receiver coax, it is not ideal. Most often special (coaxial) connectors are used but pretty good success can be had by making a "coaxial splice". Each end - Remove some jacket, push back braid shield, trim center shorter, strip center insulation a bit, solder inner conductors with minimum bump/size, wrap with quality elec tape (or better - teflon tape) to diameter of center insulator, pull both shield braids together over center, solder together, overall tape.
Whew!
Woody
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
From previous comments it sounds like your system is not like most (if a single wire for antenna connection). Most use coaxial cable. A simple splice of the inner conductor and outer shield would work to some degree for a broadcast receiver coax, it is not ideal. Most often special (coaxial) connectors are used but pretty good success can be had by making a "coaxial splice". Each end - Remove some jacket, push back braid shield, trim center shorter, strip center insulation a bit, solder inner conductors with minimum bump/size, wrap with quality elec tape (or better - teflon tape) to diameter of center insulator, pull both shield braids together over center, solder together, overall tape.
Whew!
Woody
There is no braid shield. It's just a copper wire inside of plastic insulation. Same antenna, basically, as my clock radio on my night stand.

Kind of a moot point. At some point this winter I'm going to be installing a fairing and running a 6x9 speaker setup with a head unit, in which case I'll run coax down the length of the bike and a whip antenna mounted in the back.

Last edited by Romans5.8; 11-08-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
Woody

OK, no coax... Kind of apples and oranges hooking to most antennas...

A 1/4 wavelength (31-34 inches) of that wire is probably as good as it will get. That would work best if the impractical could be achieved - run the wire vertical, away from other metal

Woody
Old 11-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
Woody

Oh yeah, from what I can see, the Sony does use coax for the antenna feed...
Old 11-10-2012, 01:19 AM   #8
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Hey woody. We are talking about two different setups here. This is actually an older thread. I CURRENTLY have a handlebar mounted speaker setup, which uses the aforementioned pigtail. This winter will hopefully include an upgrade to a fairing mounted 6x9 setup with a head unit, which will use coax running to a whip antenna mounted to my tour pak.

By the way it picks up great if someone holds the antenna (even with gloves!)! Was at a family thing a couple hours away and there was a ballgame on. Wife held on to the antenna in her hand while we rode so we could hear the game!

Funny how that stuff works...

Oh well. Not worried about it anymore. With this weather I'm not going to see too many more long trips, and this stereo will be down in the classifieds hopefully later this winter! (Or I may just stick it in a closet or something... it doesn't sound very good I don't know if I really am comfortable selling it to someone. It 'works' but I'd hate for someone to buy it and be disappointed!)

Old 11-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #9
Woody

Yeah... Like I said - Near vertical, away from other metal. That was an awkward way to "mount" the antenna, but whatever works

Hope the cold streak here relents now and again. Only rode to work one day last week. 4 out of 5 days it was in the high 20s when time to leave for the 25 mile run... Took the beater cage!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement