H-D slip-on for nomad ! can it be done !! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700

Old 11-05-2012, 06:52 AM   #1
fysl
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Default H-D slip-on for nomad ! can it be done !!

i am very intrested in few slip ons for my nomad and they are

1- V&H competition sieres
2- CFR

but both for H-D what is the defference ? why it only made for harleys ? the CFr requires 1 3/4 inch head pipe , what is the diameter for kawasaki ?

Last edited by fysl; 11-05-2012 at 07:15 AM.
fysl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
rick
Top Contributor

Garage

My guess the difference would be in how they are hung from the bike, mounting brackets are probably different. Top or side mount and distance from the end of mufflers.
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
Big Thump

Garage

I was able to get some Road King stock pipes on a Yamaha Venture as they were a direct match up for the mounting. You definitely have to measure your Nomad mounts and then measure the HD pipes to see if they match up.
The Venture sounded much better with the Road King pipes though and I got them cheap on ebay.
IBA #23562
http://www.youtube.com/user/Thump52
Big Thump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
Bobh344

Default I got'em installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysl View Post
i am very intrested in few slip ons for my nomad and they are

1- V&H competition sieres
2- CFR

but both for H-D what is the defference ? why it only made for harleys ? the CFr requires 1 3/4 inch head pipe , what is the diameter for kawasaki ?
I have them installed on my 09 Nomad. Fifty bucks off of Ebay. I love the sound - the power is OK but the gas milage on the "guestamator" is about 36 MPG.

The fit up is far from straight forward. I had the HD crossover and the right side transition piece custom fit and the shop did a great job - about 2 hours worth of customer fabrication and welding. No original parts were affected - so I can go back at any time. The brackets were made from stainless flat stock and hardware to adapt to the existing mount locations.

The right and left sides on the HD are different. The right is a true muffler, the left is a resonator with a baffle plate at the end that causes the standard HD sound.

The quality of the photo is not great and the side bag is removed.

Safe rides,
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HD Pipes.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	14111  

09 Vulcan Nomad Diablo Black

Accessories:
Avon grips with Racnray's Invention (Throttle Mod)
Kuryakyn Power Port
RAM GPS mount
Voyager Trunk Kit ($OUCH$)
Yamaha Trunk Rack
Removable windshield Kit and Lowers!
Windshield bag
K&N Air Filter
Day-Long Seat (best seat ever!)
Red Line 10w-40 MC Oil
Bobh344 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
ta-kid

I like the look and sound of the V& H ovals and would love to mount them on my VV,but haver to do some more reasearch on pipe sizes from harley to Kawi.Mounting brackets can be made to work to mount anything but pipe size and fit are more important in my mind.
ta-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
Bubba in TX
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Yep.. like Big Thump I ran Road King pipes and Eagles and other HD pipes on my Venture. And vise versa. Easy hook up. At one time I had over 35 sets of pipes that would fit on the Venture. (long story and none of them cost me anything) including the 4X2X4's which even packed to the gills was too loud for me.

Should not bee too hard for the Vulcan. The pipe size will be different. Thats why I gave away my spare HD pipes when I got the Voyager. I like the way it sounded stock.

You will just need an adapter and universal chrome shield to cover everything ugly. But I would assume the 1700 would produce more exhaust pressure than the Road King pipes are designed for. But that is just a guess.

But I never had a problem with HD pipes on the 1300 Venture or with the Venture pipes on the HD's. Did it for years....

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

U.S.A.F. Retired
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired

Bubba in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links