Helmet vs how fast you ride. - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Motorcycle Safety And Riding Gear Discussions

Old 11-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #21
Old Syko

MJ we seem to be pretty much in agreement since we match our percieved needs to what we expect to do. With my open face I still use a flip down shield and my Oakley Mframe glasses. Don't give a fat rat's backside about fashion I just want some coverage for when bad things happen. I just found it strange with the full hat that blocks more sound and practically all the wind I catch myself hauling. By opening the face shield (which defeats the purpose in cold weather) I seem to ride the same as with the open face since the sound and feel are closer to the same.

Now because my full face is properly fit I can't wear my Oakleys with it and I hate tinted shields. Seems age brings along it's own set of issues.
Old Syko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #22
Old Bear
Lifetime Premium

Reminds me about an old instructor's guidance on determining the value of a helmet. "Put a helmet on, then take a hammer and hit yourself in the head as hard as you can. Now take the helmet off and repeat ..."
To the original question, I'll ride around the yard without a helmet, and that is about it. I suppose I'm rephrasing the question to "at what speed are you uncomfortable banging your head into solid objects?" Seeing how my ol' lady can smack me with a skillet harder than I want to get hit, first-gear maneuvers in the yard or driveway is about my limit. So now the original question thread is back on track!
Old Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #23
MJ 21A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Syko View Post
MJ we seem to be pretty much in agreement since we match our percieved needs to what we expect to do. With my open face I still use a flip down shield and my Oakley Mframe glasses. Don't give a fat rat's backside about fashion I just want some coverage for when bad things happen. I just found it strange with the full hat that blocks more sound and practically all the wind I catch myself hauling. By opening the face shield (which defeats the purpose in cold weather) I seem to ride the same as with the open face since the sound and feel are closer to the same.

Now because my full face is properly fit I can't wear my Oakleys with it and I hate tinted shields. Seems age brings along it's own set of issues.
I agree, I have on my 1/2 helmet a flip down shield (holds on with 3 push tabs) and can wear my glasses.......with the full face I have to still wear my glasses to see and to do this (and still have it fit properly) I had to adjust the padding inside the helmet, removing some to fit the frame of the glasses. I have to put on the helmet, and put on my glasses to fit between my head and the helmet, if its just right...all is good, if not, well re-do til right, lol. I do not like tinted shields has my glasses are tinted and that is all I need, plus the reflection back into my eyes is something I can live without.

I was just thinking if there was a Helmet where it was custom fit just for you and offered all the protection, light weight, felt like it was not even on, had built-in glasses (to see better), adjusted for glair, cut thru the wind with no buffering, if there was that helmet, just how fast (could I think) I could ride? ....In the end I would not wear that helmet much, like the old feeling of riding, wind in your face, the sounds, etc..I just go slower so its not too much for me...and if it is, I have the opt of pulling out the full face..LOL.
2007, 1600 Nomad, Black and Chrome, Fairing/windshield w/Laminar lip, Cycle Sound Housing w/Stereo/GPS, Throttle lock/Assist, Handlebar raisers, HD chrome fork lowers, Head Light Modulator, Driving fog/spot lights, Trunk w/ top rack, backrest. Corbin Seat w/backrest, DeBaffled pipes w/valkyrie end tips, Intake, K&N air filter, FI2000, Top and side rails on bags. Foot pegs, Wolo horn, extra running lights in back, Some pinstriping and chrome to bring out the black.
MJ 21A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #24
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

I used to ride with a 1/2 helmet all the time. But that was when I was concerned about nothing but looks. I wear a full face now. I do not have a windshield on my bike and like the full face for the protection from wind/bug/... . But I actually pulled out my old skid lid about a month ago or so and took a short ride with it and sun glasses and found my self slowing down because I found it irritating to the eyes and ears. I guess I never knew any different until I tried it and now I would not have it any other way but full face.
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
SWVA_08V2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #25
Gray Ghost
Top Contributor

I recently got a new prescription for my lenses and got new frames. I also had my new prescription, minus the bifocals at the bottom, put into my old frames. Didn't need the bifocals for seeing beyond the gas tank. So now have my every day glasses and my "riding glasses".
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:13 AM   #26
Bokobob

Default Helmet and other safety stuff...

Over the long run, statistics make me opt for safety..

Here's some of what I learned in the motorcycle safety course:

20% plus of bike accidents result in injuries to jaw...Full face helmet for me please...

Over 50% of biking accidents only involve the bike....single vehicle..Easy on the curves...

The most prevalent cause of accidents involving two or more vehilces involves the left turn..(Usually the other guy, not the biker is at fault,but not always.) ..I very often opt to not turn left and just ride on until I can find a safe place to turn around and go back....time "wasted" doing this in the last four years: less than an hour, give or take...

Yet, I say, to each his own....I like safety...

Bob
Bokobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:27 AM   #27
Bowtiefred

I never ride without my Bell Revolver. A helmet is mandatory in our chapter. Wind resistance is not a problem for me. My fairing w/shield tip is just below eye level so that all air is deflected over my head. I can understand what some say about wind resistance, if I raise off my seat then my neck muscles are put to work. Another reason for the full face, communication with others in a group makes for better sound.The weather here in North Florida is making a full face feel great. One thing I never do is flip it up over 40mph. I'm sure you know why.
Blue Knights fl.30
Ride with Pride
Bowtiefred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:39 AM   #28
whoaru99
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokobob View Post
Over 50% of biking accidents only involve the bike....single vehicle..Easy on the curves...
I drive (relatively) fast through the curves, my choice. But, yeah, if not comfortable doing that then don't do it.

If you're heading for the ditch push down that bar HARD and trust the tires.

Quote:
The most prevalent cause of accidents involving two or more vehilces involves the left turn..(Usually the other guy, not the biker is at fault,but not always.) ..I very often opt to not turn left and just ride on until I can find a safe place to turn around and go back....time "wasted" doing this in the last four years: less than an hour, give or take...
Yeah, while not totally preventative, I generally get out of town as quickly as possible to get to the (relative) safety of county roads.
whoaru99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:01 AM   #29
Old Syko

I hope all you guys who wish to discuss useless convoluted statistics visit your local poling centers. You should be right at home there. Hurry today is your last chance for a while and there's only one to a customer.
Old Syko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #30
whoaru99
Top Contributor

Statistics are sort of like history, in a way. "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Catch my drift?

Oh, by the way, see you at the polls.
whoaru99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement