V2K "Features" {Good Things} - Page 5 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 2000

Old 11-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #41
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWVA_08V2k View Post
Its like expecting a Freightliner with a 425 cat to be faster than a Mustang Cobra with 5.8L because it has more displacement. My 650 Nighthawk would smoke my 1500 classic but to get me big hind end (at the time 300lb) pulled out on that 650 it took a bit more clutch slipping than it did on the 1500.
Bingo.

These days, even with V-Twins, displacement can't be the only determining factor. The 900's overhead cam, fuel injected V-Twin produces about the same horsepower as Kawasaki's old 1500cc twin did. A ducatti 900cc V-Twin produces the same horsepower as a V2K and nearly 100 ft/lbs of torque!

Obviously the V2K smokes all three in the raw power department, but even that is a combination of size AND technology. As discussed in this thread, it's a high tech motor, even with the pushrods. IMO, it's the coolest V-Twin anyone has ever made. To me, a V-Twin motorcycle is like a 60's muscle car. The new, lighter, smaller japanese 4-bangers might be faster, but the muscle car FEELS faster because it could have just about the same quarter mile time, with that 4-banger on a trailer behind it! It's that stump pulling torque! And nothing epitomized that better than the V2K.

Obviously there are a lot of advantages to a bigger bike, but, mid-sized cruisers can do a lot more, and do it a lot better, than they could even just a few years ago. So I think that's part of the reason the market is shifting that direction. I am disappointed the V2K is gone though.

As far as resale value JJ, it's low for the same reason Kawasaki didn't sell them very well; not much of a market. If people weren't interested in buying them new, then they won't be interested on spending much on them used. There are lots of used V2K's going for around the same price as a used 900 of the same year. Which, again, is an indicator of where the market has shifted.

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Last edited by Romans5.8; 11-05-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #42
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

But with that shift in the market makes for great prices for the people who want bike like the V2K. I was out of the market for a few years and was astonished at how low they were going for. What I love about the V2K is the stump pulling torque. Being able to roll on the throttle in 4th or 5th gear at 35 mph and not have to down shift is wonderful when you are out for a cruise. It is a not a necessity as it is a luxury. The biggest downfall to the V2K that I have experienced is that it is too easy to scrub board (or pipes when loaded or 2 up). It makes it a little hard to keep up with some spirited riding in the mountains.
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
SWVA_08V2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #43
whoaru99
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin'John View Post

I know a bike is not an "investment" but you guys are sayin' that resale is atrocious.

Is that a "feature" ?

JJ
Don't know what resale might be. Deals on leftovers don't necessary influence the overall market all that much because it's not like there is a new, carrover V2K laying around at every dealer, and not like just because you could get one of them for a bit over 9K then, that you could get the same deal today.

That said, I doubt much I'll care too much about the resale when that time comes because my plan is to drive the wheels off it, then get what I can for pieces, parts, or scrap metal.

And, even if I did sell it and took a fair beating, because the price of the bike was considerably less, it's still roughly equivalent or maybe even less $ I'd be out of hand than getting a better resale on a considerably more expensive bike. IOW, I don't care about the relative percent of resale to new, it's the actual dollars that matter.

Last edited by whoaru99; 11-05-2012 at 12:49 PM.
whoaru99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #44
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Don't know what resale might be. Deals on leftovers don't necessary influence the overall market all that much because it's not like there is a new, carrover V2K laying around at every dealer, and not like just because you could get one of them for a bit over 9K then, that you could get the same deal today.

That said, I doubt much I'll care too much about the resale when that time comes because my plan is to drive the wheels off it, then get what I can for pieces, parts, or scrap metal.
+1. I do not plan on getting rid of the V2K unless it is for something a lot the lines of a touring bike, and then I would consider turning the V2K in to a touring machine.
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
SWVA_08V2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #45
t_dickie

I heard or read where emission requirements helped kill the 2000 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
t_dickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:59 AM   #46
MotorMojo

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkd2.3;
.... Cobra Fatty freeway bars ....
Looked these up online and really like their appearance! Did you put yours on yourself? If so, any odd details of assembly would be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadinator View Post
.... I have the stock bags but have a leatherlyke trunk that I mount to the luggage rack when we travel ....
Online, the large studded Leatherlyke trunk looks superb and goes with the look of the Classic LT. What luggage rack do you have to mount this on? Easy to remove and replace the trunk, and it fits behind the stock passenger backrest?
MotorMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:59 AM   #47
smedlin
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorMojo View Post
Looked these up online and really like their appearance! Did you put yours on yourself? If so, any odd details of assembly would be appreciated.
I think BigSarg (on these forums) has a pair of the cobra bars he's selling. If your wanting some..

2004 Vulcan 2000
smedlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:12 AM   #48
Dadinator
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorMojo View Post
Online, the large studded Leatherlyke trunk looks superb and goes with the look of the Classic LT. What luggage rack do you have to mount this on? Easy to remove and replace the trunk, and it fits behind the stock passenger backrest?
I like it. I use a common luggage rack. It is small. The trunk hooks to it just fine. Sticks out a bit with the stock passenger backrest, but I like it. It is easy to remove and reinstall. 4 bolts and 2 brackets hold it on to the rack.

Here are a couple of pics:

Last edited by Dadinator; 11-09-2012 at 07:33 AM.
Dadinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #49
Jammin'John
Top Contributor

Talking Hi Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post

And, even if I did sell it and took a fair beating, because the price of the bike was considerably less, it's still roughly equivalent or maybe even less $ I'd be out of hand than getting a better resale on a considerably more expensive bike. IOW, I don't care about the relative percent of resale to new, it's the actual dollars that matter.
Hey,whoaru99,I found out that you are a hi fidelity guy.
I saw your posts on audiokarma.
I'm a player and use some hi fi & some pa gear for my stereo.

Dadinator,the trunk works on your rig.
It's a shame that racks mount so high up on the V2k. WAY too high up.
Looking at that picture it seems that the "best" place for the rack,C of G wise would be just above the taillight.
In it's present location I would not want to put anything heavy in it.
Not a "feature".

JJ

NOT a member of an organized religion
Jammin'John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #50
smedlin
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin'John View Post
pa gear for my stereo.

Dadinator,the trunk works on your rig.
It's a shame that racks mount so high up on the V2k. WAY too high up.
Looking at that picture it seems that the "best" place for the rack,C of G wise would be just above the taillight.
In it's present location I would not want to put anything heavy in it.
Not a "feature".

JJ
Although a lot of people relocate it, the stock license plate on the V2K is right above the tail light, sticking straight up. Looks really bad.

Soo.. anyways, "stock" luggage racks are designed to go above/higher than the plate.

2004 Vulcan 2000
smedlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement