Backfiring / Popping during shifting - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1600

Old 10-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
CobraRider

Default Backfiring / Popping during shifting

Hey Guys - I just got an '07 1600 Classic and it already had V&H Big Shots it. They sound phenomenal, but if I roll off the throttle too quickly from first to second, I get what sounds like backfiring, but I think it's just popping. It doesn't happen in any other gears... up or downshifting. I think it happens from first to second because it's a BIG stretch from first to second. I don't think there are any changes to the air filter and their is no fuel management system installed.

Do I need a fuel management system? If so, what kind do you recommend? I know the PC is the easy / most popular choice, but there are others out there that I've heard some good reviews about. And if I do get the fuel mgmt system, should I just go the rest of the way and get the K&N air filter too?
CobraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 07:20 AM   #2
puckoach

The general opinion would be that you need a fuel management system. There are three choices. Dobeck, Cobra, Power Commander. If you go for the PC, don't get the EX model, as it's for California and cannot be dyno tuned.

Do a search, there is a real ton of great input on this subject.

As an example: http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=30877

The popping might be cured by marbeling. Check gadjets site for details on that.
06 Kawi Vulcan Nomad - Cobra Lite Bar, Phat II Risers, Vista Cruise, Krusier Kady, Kuryakyn Longhorn Dually Pegs, Mustang w/ Backrest, Vance & Hines Dual Baggers, PC III, Cobra Luggage Rack, Electrical Connection LED R,B, T Conversion, Jay Stephens LED Tail Light, Classic Chaps, Avon Cobra's.

Last edited by puckoach; 10-26-2012 at 08:02 AM.
puckoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
Murphy

When i had Cobras on my bike, I found shifting a bit sooner got rid of popping.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
Pretzel
Top Contributor

Check a couple of things first:

1) Check the nuts holding the header pipes for proper torque. If they're loose, there could be a small exhaust leak causing the problem. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN, again, proper torque!

2) When COOL, check the header pipes for small cracks. Same thing, exhaust leak could be the culprit.

If neither one of those is the issue, a TFI and/or marbling can help as well.
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption
Pretzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:06 AM   #5
Busboy

CobraRider, have you blocked or removed your reed valves?
If not then here's a link you would want to look at.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/smogstuffremove.htm
Vulcan VN1600 Classic '06
Fitted: tachometer, genuine windshield, K Drive hard bags, upgraded Meanstreak clutch spring with Judges washers, Cobra Speedster Longshots, Dobeck TFI controller, Chucksters air filter plate, Mustang seats with drivers backrest.

Up coming items: volt meter, oil and temp gauges.
Busboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:59 AM   #6
whoaru99
Top Contributor

You don't have to do anything about it if you don't want to.

My V2K will pop when you reopen the throttle after roll off. I have found just changing the way you work the throttle when shifting you can pretty much control whether or not it pops. I'd describe what I do but I can't really remember...it's like muscle memory now, just something I automatically do.

Last edited by whoaru99; 11-05-2012 at 07:06 AM.
whoaru99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
Pappyman

I got rid of the baffles in the center pipe and drilled the rear outer baffle on my pipes. That modification allowed me to hear the popping on decel more readily. Note that it is always there but you just dont really hear it with stock pipes. I did the marble trick and it stopped 90% of it immediately. Easy to do. If you just have pipes and have not changed or modified the intake you shouldn't have to go the PC route. Save your money for Christmas!

Last edited by Pappyman; 11-05-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Pappyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement