Intake Questions - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700

Old 11-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
Fireboater

Smile Intake Questions

Hi there all,
I am looking into doing the Big 3 for my 09 VV and was wondering about the difference in the K&N filter and the 51010 Thunder kit,is their much difference between the two of them, I am also going to the PCV and Tri-Ovals here soon,so I would appreciate comments about which would be the better fit for my ride.

Thanks John
Fireboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
Old BLue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireboater View Post
Hi there all,
I am looking into doing the Big 3 for my 09 VV and was wondering about the difference in the K&N filter and the 51010 Thunder kit,is their much difference between the two of them, I am also going to the PCV and Tri-Ovals here soon,so I would appreciate comments about which would be the better fit for my ride.

Thanks John
I am in the same process and will say if you pull up the kawasaki diagram of the air intake you will see how restrictive it is. The thunder kit also uses a K&N filter that mounts directly over the throttle body. With the big dog bowl covering it, they have several different setups to chose from. I went with the vance and hines slip ons and still havent ordered a pcv yet but do plan on it. Our you trying to gain more performance or get rid of heat?
Old BLue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
Fireboater

I am looking at more Performance and maybe a little more MPG,s.
John
Old 11-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
Old BLue

I gained about 2.5 mpg when I installed just the slip ons. And a small improvement in low to mid range performance. I have the thunder airkit #51010 but have not installed it yet, since waiting on the pcv.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
zann1975

I have the Thunder Manufacturing Odyssey BAK, Cobra tri-ovals, and PCV w/ autotune. The bike has more power, runs cooler and gets better MPG now. The bike rarely gets over the half-way mark on the temp gauge. The bike has a lot more usable power and I seem to get about 4-6 MPG more than I did before all of these mods were done. The Odyssey BAK is a little louder than stock, but I think the looks and performance were worth it. You can get the kit that uses you factory right intake cover, but it uses a K & N and it does NOT continue to draw air through that restrictive factory design that pulls air from the left side cover and runs the air between the two heat soaked cylinders.
Cobra Tri-ovals
Thunder Man. Odyssey BAK, intake gasket and left decorative side plate
Thunder Man. intake gasket
Racnray's throttle mod
Ceramic coated header pipe
Corbin seat and backrest
Kuryakyn Offset Dually Iso-pegs
Kuryakyn Iso-grips w/ throttle boss
Kuryakyn windshield bag
12" Cee Bailey's dark windshield
Cobra trunk rack
DXi525 front and rear speakers
Rockford Fosgate PBR300x4 amp
zann1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
Old BLue

Quote:
Originally Posted by zann1975 View Post
I have the Thunder Manufacturing Odyssey BAK, Cobra tri-ovals, and PCV w/ autotune. The bike has more power, runs cooler and gets better MPG now. The bike rarely gets over the half-way mark on the temp gauge. The bike has a lot more usable power and I seem to get about 4-6 MPG more than I did before all of these mods were done. The Odyssey BAK is a little louder than stock, but I think the looks and performance were worth it. You can get the kit that uses you factory right intake cover, but it uses a K & N and it does NOT continue to draw air through that restrictive factory design that pulls air from the left side cover and runs the air between the two heat soaked cylinders.
The Odyssey airkit looks sharp. I just went with the one that uses the factory side cover. I was alittle concerned about noise as I really enjoy the radio. What kind of mileage do do get with that set up?
Old 11-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
zann1975

I get about 42 mpg, but I have been riding fairly heavy handed since I got it back together due to the increased power. I hope to get a little more when I calm it down some. The factory cover will be a little less noisy and I still love the look of the factory covers.
Cobra Tri-ovals
Thunder Man. Odyssey BAK, intake gasket and left decorative side plate
Thunder Man. intake gasket
Racnray's throttle mod
Ceramic coated header pipe
Corbin seat and backrest
Kuryakyn Offset Dually Iso-pegs
Kuryakyn Iso-grips w/ throttle boss
Kuryakyn windshield bag
12" Cee Bailey's dark windshield
Cobra trunk rack
DXi525 front and rear speakers
Rockford Fosgate PBR300x4 amp
zann1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
davidsheek
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireboater View Post
Hi there all,
Thanks John
Go with the 51010 kit, it's the one I have. But there will be a down side to it.You will hear more noise from the engine. I have read that it bothers some but it doesn't bother me and I get the power I want.

2009 Vulcan Voyager ABS/ my "Blue Goose"
BIG 3 = PCV w/ Ign/Cobra Slip-ons/Thunder Air Kit
Kuryakyn "Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs"
Air Hawk2 seat cusion/Remote Control for house
National Cycle Fender Tips//Utopia Back Rest
Gorilla Alarm/Strebel Air Horn/14 in. Dark Shield
Kaw Rear Speakers/Galfer Break Pads
Garmin GPS, RAM mounted on break reservoir
Chrome Mug Holder/Extra Chrome/Wrapped Pipes
Flags and Mounts from "Rumbling Pride"
Dunlop SP5000 Car Tire /AMSOIL & Filter
davidsheek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #9
Ezrider

Garage

I did the DIY air intake described elsewhere on this or the other forum. Cost about $50. Too soon to have a mpg figure, but it does seem to run smoother. I don't feel a surge of power at the light change, but I think its there. The bike's loud and I'm kind of hard of hearing, so I can't comment if there's extra noise - I don't hear any. I already had a Fi2000 controller and Cobra short pipes.
Basically, what I did was found a 6" stainless steel clean-out cover in the plumbing section at Lowe's for $6, traced the throttlebody, drilled holes in the cover, snugged the center bolt down with 2 washers, bought a Specter air filter at Autozone for $21 and drilled hole in the center, put some weather stripping rubber around the cover plate, and fastened it down with an acorn nut on the center bolt. The Specter filter comes with rubber on it - you take that off 'cause you don't need it.
Ezrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:39 AM   #10
Fireboater

Question K & n

Does the Thunder Kit add more air that just a K&N Filter swap?
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement