Homemade Lowers - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 06:07 PM   #11
Hatchcover
Senior Member
 
Hatchcover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pittsboro,North Carolina
Posts: 164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
Thanks for the info. How wide did you make are the lowers? I ask as I have a lightbar and my turn signals are out wider than stock. So, I would like an idea as I start fabricating a template.
I made mine 4 3/4 inch wide and 11 1/2 inches long. They just about touch the crash bars at max. turn.
Hatchcover is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #12
bosco
Lifetime Premium
 
bosco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Temescal Valley, CA
Posts: 1,333
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchcover View Post
I made mine 4 3/4 inch wide and 11 1/2 inches long. They just about touch the crash bars at max. turn.
Wow, I was using your pic and guessing about an hour ago making a template. Mine came out 4 3/4" by 11 1/4" Just checked clearance and it looks good against the crach bar. Ordered the P Clamps from Marsh (long way from Florida to Calif), but that will give me time to buff the edges smooth. Did you use #10 bolts? Thinking of using ny-lok nuts on the back side.
__________________
"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

2010 900 Classic
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #13
Hatchcover
Senior Member
 
Hatchcover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pittsboro,North Carolina
Posts: 164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
Wow, I was using your pic and guessing about an hour ago making a template. Mine came out 4 3/4" by 11 1/4" Just checked clearance and it looks good against the crach bar. Ordered the P Clamps from Marsh (long way from Florida to Calif), but that will give me time to buff the edges smooth. Did you use #10 bolts? Thinking of using ny-lok nuts on the back side.
#10 and ny-lok nuts - yes.
Hatchcover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #14
bosco
Lifetime Premium
 
bosco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Temescal Valley, CA
Posts: 1,333
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchcover View Post
#10 and ny-lok nuts - yes.
Thanks. Lowers are cut, polished and waiting for the P clamps. Followed yours and others and went to Lowes for the plexiglass. Found a cracked sheet thay had set aside, had them trim the cracked section out, then spilt the remaining piece in half. Great deal going that route.
__________________
"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

2010 900 Classic
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #15
bosco
Lifetime Premium
 
bosco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Temescal Valley, CA
Posts: 1,333
Garage
Talking Lowers finished & installed

Guys, Thanks for all the help and guidance. Finished installing my home-made lowers last night. I will say what a pain in the a$$ to install. I know I made some of my own issue (used 8MM bolts instead of #10's), but I had them and what to use them. Part of the issue was there length (3/4 inch) so it was hard to get the nut on the back side started. If I ever have to do this again I would opt for 1" length. But, I am really pleased with how the turned out. Will test them this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3565.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	14069   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3566.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	14070  
__________________
"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

2010 900 Classic
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #16
Hatchcover
Senior Member
 
Hatchcover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pittsboro,North Carolina
Posts: 164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
Guys, Thanks for all the help and guidance. Finished installing my home-made lowers last night. I will say what a pain in the a$$ to install. I know I made some of my own issue (used 8MM bolts instead of #10's), but I had them and what to use them. Part of the issue was there length (3/4 inch) so it was hard to get the nut on the back side started. If I ever have to do this again I would opt for 1" length. But, I am really pleased with how the turned out. Will test them this weekend.
They look great! Yeah = you need small hands (fingers) to attach those nuts!
Anyway - I expect you are going to experience a different ride altogether with the lowers attached. Took the wife out today - first time she had the chance to ride with me since I did the install. From her passenger perspective she said the ride was so much smoother - it created a dead zone of air current around her. Let us know how your test ride went. Later
Hatchcover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #17
bosco
Lifetime Premium
 
bosco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Temescal Valley, CA
Posts: 1,333
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchcover View Post
They look great! Yeah = you need small hands (fingers) to attach those nuts!
Anyway - I expect you are going to experience a different ride altogether with the lowers attached. Took the wife out today - first time she had the chance to ride with me since I did the install. From her passenger perspective she said the ride was so much smoother - it created a dead zone of air current around her. Let us know how your test ride went. Later
Thanks. Everybody gave me great advice and guidance. We're headed out this afternoon, and hoping for similar results. I did a short test 1.5 mile test ride and no head buffeting, but it was too short to really test in various winds. Will update later....
__________________
"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

2010 900 Classic
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:07 AM   #18
Stephut66
Member
 
Stephut66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Posts: 44
Garage
Default

I made a set of my own a bit ago and they look great. Here's a tip I picked up. If you run the edge of the lower to a blowtorch, the plexi will melt and get rid of all tool marks. It actually gives it a very professional look. Practice on a scrap piece till you get it right. It only takes a few minutes to do but it looks amazing!
Stephut66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #19
Brian_Hanshaw
Junior Member
 
Brian_Hanshaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Benton,AR
Posts: 24
Default

Thanks for the step by step instructions. I finished mine this morning and went for a ride. They work and look great. I trimmed mine with chrome door trim. An easy and inexpensive mod.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20121117_105256.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	14238  
__________________
2006 nomad 1600
Brian_Hanshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:06 PM   #20
KawaVulcan
Member
 
KawaVulcan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 56
Default

Does anyone have any suggestions for homemade lowers on a 900 Custom. We have a different setup on our forks (no shock covers), so I was just wondering if there's a setup for us. Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
__________________
Candy Lime Green '08 Vulcan 900 Custom
Kuryakyn Pro-Series Hypercharger w/ K&N Filter
Parts Unlimited Low Profile Double-Bucket Seat
Saddlemen Drifter Slant Saddlebags
Cobra Speedster Shorts
Cobra Fi2000
Cobra Tach

Last edited by KawaVulcan; 11-17-2012 at 11:12 PM.
KawaVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Forum Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum Ducati Scrambler Forum Kawasaki Ninja 250SL Forum