35 years and I had my first crash yesterday. - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 2000

Old 11-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #11
a340driver

Default Crash

I hate to hear of a bike and rider going down .. rest and recover!
a340driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #12
a340driver

Default Crash

Please post circumstances, so we all might have an opportunity to learn from a mistake ... (if it's not to painfull)
Thanks
a340driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:46 AM   #13
smedlin
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012

yep, like others said, I'd like to know what happened.

The last 2 days I've been at the Lone Star Bike Rally. Probably the third biggest bike rally in the states now.

I'm constantly looking over at people with a "Hey, your crowding my riding space" look. I don't like people ridding right next to me. It gives neither of us room to maneuver if needed.

2004 Vulcan 2000
smedlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #14
Jammin'John
Top Contributor

Wink Soon

Rest & get better soon.

JJ

NOT a member of an organized religion
Jammin'John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #15
Old Bear
Lifetime Premium

Old bodies sure do heal slowly ... but they do heal!
When you are ready, details would be nice. We all learn from them, and I share them with my son-in-law. He high-sided his several months back, and I'm using these tales of woe from us old-timers to get him to understand that if you ride, sooner or later you will perform an unannounced dismount. It hurts, it may be embarrassing (if you are young enough), but for me, I will get back into the saddle until I can no longer swing my leg over. Then it's time to get back on my maxi-scooter! And there are some cool-looking trikes out there now ...

Rest up, heal up, and know we are all here for support!
Old Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #16
Coolpig59
1946-2014

Default Unannounced Dismount

Was riding all over Galveston with GoPro camera mounted atop helmet, getting good video of bikes, girls, beach, girls, all the service tents, etc., etc.

Had made a couple loops down seawall, through town and back to Strand. Don't remember what street it was but I was going South. Came to cross street with stop sign. I stopped and waited for several cars and bikes to clear and I went across. Next stop sign is two blocks down. Going about 10 mph I approached intersection but could not see to the right. Eased out a bit and could not see anything coming. Let clutch out, started rolling, looked up, AWW CRAP, this is gonna hurt. POW, I T-boned him on left side. the next few seconds are a blur but i wound up doing a face plant on nice warm pavement right on my already ugly mug.

Helmet flew off, glasses broke, scratched and twisted all to, well, they were twisted. Camera came out of mount and went skittering to some where else.

My .45 auto came out of the holster and slid a ways. I landed right on top of it. Rolled over, grabbed pistol and put it back in holster. By then there was probably ten people around me going "Dude, are you alright"? Guess what my answer was.

EMT's and Police arrived and the usual blocked road scenario happened. I told the Police Officer that I had a weapon on me. He looked at me and said "Yeah, so do I, where you got it hid?" Right side I answered. He said "Well let go of it and I'll get it." Cool as all get out.

There's more but I can't type too well with one hand.

Long Story Short: Take nothing for granted. The instant you do will be the instant you come up with Unannounced Dismount, and that hurts like a big dog. Nothing is so important that you and I both can't take the time to ensure our own safety and well being. DON'T GAMBLE, the odds are always in the House's favor, not yours.

Guys, thanks for all the well wishes and prayers and I send them right back to you also. PLEASE, drive your scoots sensibly and stay away from hospitals.

CoolPig
Coolpig59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #17
Coolpig59
1946-2014

Default Unannounced Dismount

BTW, I got the whole thing on video. How many people do you know who have filmed their own crashes?

Coolpig59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #18
Roadie
Lifetime Premium

Garage

CP, best thing is that you are gonna be okay and any bike can be replaced if necessary.

Love the rallies in Texas, the one in Austin is now listed as the 5th largest in USA and the one in Galveston as 6th largest. (see: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/famous...le-rallies.htm) for latest attendance info.

But, the Galveston can not be beet for time of year and the beautiful location, love the old island town and riding the sea wall, what a view.

Get well, CP. :-)

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App

Roadie
2011 Vaquero

Amsoil Oil | TLC Bag Liners
Mini Beast Air Horn | Sagebrush Bag Chaps
Power Commander V | Cobra Tri-Oval SlipOns
Thunder Tornado Air Kit | Madcorider Oil Tempstick
Marvellas Trailer Hitch Kit | Rumbling Pride Flag Mounts
Utopia Drivers Backrest | Sagebrush Leather Tank Bib
Michelin Commander II Tires | Classic's Engine/Road Bar Chaps
Wind Vest 10" Smoked Windscreen | Avon Grips with RacNRay's Throttle Mod

4 Wheels Move the Body & 2 Wheels Move the Soul
Roadie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #19
Hockeyref
Top Contributor

Glad you are all right and hopefully healing sooner rather than later. It's been 29 years since my last major "unintended dismount" at highway speed. All I can say is always be ready to meet your maker as it can happen to any of us in the blink of an eye. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!
Lots of chrome goodies, sagebrush engine guard chaps for cold days in Manitoba, Rumble Road speakers, Garmin gps, tank bib, modified seat, Ohlins rear shock - best investment ever!!, locking saddlebags, Kuryakyn luggage, brake-away cruise control, and more stuff every year.
Hockeyref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #20
Jammin'John
Top Contributor

Wink Last

My last bad one was a deer that I T-Boned while pulling a big trailer !
You'll heal.
JJ

NOT a member of an organized religion
Jammin'John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement