What is the best air kit for a vulcan 900 custom? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 11-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
dwhit

Default What is the best air kit for a vulcan 900 custom?

I'm looking to get a little more performance out of my custom and have a partial debaffle (4 holes drilled) and am thinking of getting an air kit. I don't think the debaffle did anything for the performance but i'm told an air kit will. My concerns are
1) most that i have seen are open so won't rain water get in and once the filter gets wet and prevent the flow of air. basically stalling the bike?
2)do I have to get a power commander or remap/rejet the bike? I hear yes and no on this. I hear efi bikes do not need remapping and i'm told they do. i don't know what to believe

thx
dwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
KenDawg
Top Contributor

Best air kit-get the one you think looks cool. They all do the same thing.

Rain shouldn't be an issue, they come with rain covers.

No fuel processor needed as long as you have the stock pipes.

If you want it to run great, I'd get a Cobra PowerPro processor or PC5 with Auto-Tune. Both will keep the bike running sweet.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
bosco
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDawg View Post
Best air kit-get the one you think looks cool. They all do the same thing.

Rain shouldn't be an issue, they come with rain covers.

No fuel processor needed as long as you have the stock pipes.

If you want it to run great, I'd get a Cobra PowerPro processor or PC5 with Auto-Tune. Both will keep the bike running sweet.
+1 It's all about your style. I went with ArlenNess Big Air Sucker for an old school look. Also have the Cobra PowrPro fuel mgmt. Runs great.

2010 900 Classic
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
DANAD
Top Contributor

Default Big Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhit View Post
I'm looking to get a little more performance out of my custom and have a partial debaffle (4 holes drilled) and am thinking of getting an air kit. I don't think the debaffle did anything for the performance but i'm told an air kit will. My concerns are
1) most that i have seen are open so won't rain water get in and once the filter gets wet and prevent the flow of air. basically stalling the bike?
2)do I have to get a power commander or remap/rejet the bike? I hear yes and no on this. I hear efi bikes do not need remapping and i'm told they do. i don't know what to believe

thx
I went with the Baron Big Air Kit (BAK) on my custom. Slim lines, open all the way round, yes. There is a water repellant membrane that you can put over the filter on wet days, technical term is garter belt looking doohickey. Never had an issue with water. I live at an altitude, so I haven't added a processor yet (looking at new FI12oo autotune) Bike runs mildly rich right now with Cobra pipes and BAK so I want to thin it out a bit. We are also planning a run to the coast, so I will probably run skinny there and really need a processor. I have seen quite a few guys run hyperchargers, but I think they stick out too far and detract from the already fine lines of the bike...IMO..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	900C profile.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	14095  
DANAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
chi-rider

Garage

I have an Arlen Ness big sucker, VnH pro pipe 2 into 1 and an VnH fuelpak. I would not expect spectacular power gain. You will get some. The air kit lets more air in, but you need to increase the out flow t get much gain in power and still that may not add a lot. In my experience, if you get a fuel tuner, it won't just be plug and play to get the best performance. Unless you get the bike dynoed or buy something like the Cobra auto tuner (big bucks) you will have to tinker w the settings. Guys on the forum are very helpful in recommending fuel settings, but every set up and bike are different. Course, w new pipes you may also feel like you have more power cause then your bike doesn't sound like a sewing machine. .
I love my 900 classic. It's very easy to tinker with, has almost endless mods to do and you don't generally have t worry about breaking it.
Baron Crash Bars
Kuryakyn ISO Grips
Kuryakyn ISO Highway Pegs
Kuryakyn Mini Silver bullet brake lights
Scoot Works Phat Riser II's
Arlen Ness Scalloped Big Sucker
V&H Pro Pipe
V&H Fuelpak
Saddlemen Profiler seat
Barnet and Galfer Stainless control cables
Cobra Passenger floorboards and bag supports
Chilhowee Leather bags
American Biker Tool bag
Chrome Breather filter
chi-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
417vulcan
BOTM Winner, October/2012

I have the thunder mfg tornado intake. like everyone else said, its all about what style you want. here is a picture of mine with the rain cover on it:

2009 Vulcan 900 Custom

Mods: Freedom Performance exhaust, Thunder Mfg Tornado Intake, Cobra Fi2000R and alot of chrome goodies
417vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #7
whiting57
Lifetime Premium

hypercharger with a cobra power pro with auto tune ......

2009 Classic LT Bagger... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer.

2010 Custom ... Mutazu Luggage, Pirelli 200 Rear, Saddleman Solo Seat, Kuryakyn Hypercharger, Batwing Fairing, Cobra FI2000 Power Pro, freedom performance exhaust
whiting57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #8
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

You won't get much real gain without also having a fuel processor and pipes (more than just a debaffle, as the main source of restriction is the cat). Of course if you just want it for looks or sound, go for it!

Also, do a full debaffle! Just do it! It's not much louder, it's just much much deeper and nicer sounding!

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #9
pacomutt
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417vulcan View Post
I have the thunder mfg tornado intake. like everyone else said, its all about what style you want. here is a picture of mine with the rain cover on it:

Great looking ride!

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger
pacomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #10
417vulcan
BOTM Winner, October/2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacomutt View Post
Great looking ride!

Thanks, I'm kind of partial to it myself....

2009 Vulcan 900 Custom

Mods: Freedom Performance exhaust, Thunder Mfg Tornado Intake, Cobra Fi2000R and alot of chrome goodies
417vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement