VN900 plastic dilemna - Page 5 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 10-21-2012, 08:16 AM   #41
Scott_in_TX
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJB View Post
I'm not a fan of the matte black movement but I gotta say, I love Pacomutt's air cleaner. Did you mask off the center or peel it off after it dried. I really suck at masking but I'd love to try this mod.
+1!
I just checked on this thread again.
That looks great Ron!

I wonder how that would look on the 1700s dog bowls?

Scott

Happiness does not consist in pastimes and amusements but in virtuous activities.
Scott_in_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #42
pacomutt
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJB View Post
I'm not a fan of the matte black movement but I gotta say, I love Pacomutt's air cleaner. Did you mask off the center or peel it off after it dried. I really suck at masking but I'd love to try this mod.
I masked it off with blue painter's tape. It was the 3/4" wide stuff, so it was harder to get the edge into a circular shape, but it just took a little patience. after spraying and drying, I used a new box cutter blade to lightly score around the tape edge. If you don't do this, the rubberized paint will be lifted from the unmasked areas and you'll be doing it over.
I'm sure that sanding the chrome to rough it up, and then spraying with regular paint would be more durable, but then it would be permanent. I used Plasti-dip so I could remove it if I didn't like it.

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger
pacomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #43
evodog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclesarge View Post
Is anyone else bothered by all the plastic on the VN900? I have a hard time convincing myself that the bike isn't trying to be something it's not, sporting all the chromed plastic the bike does. The chrome plastic "primary drive" cover on the left side of the motor is the WORST, it reminds me of those cheap bicycles they sell at WalMart that have a plastic "engine". I'm seriously considering reducing some of the more blatant chromed plastic on my bike by just taking it off and painting the part they are trying to hide (rear fender struts) or making my own aluminum covers (fake horn cover that actually covers the coils, belt guard, etc). Other parts, I'd just paint (gauge cover, left side engine cover) to minimize their "cheesiness". Have others done this? Links to threads? Or am I the only one this bothers?
Yamaha V-star 950 has pretty much everything metal, fenders and covers.
but its heavier and slower, not as pretty as VN900.
so pretty much you gain you lose situation. At first i don't like all that plastic on 900, but now i love it and its easier to mod or cut any parts.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #44
Cyclesarge

For anyone interested in the durability of Plasti-Dip, my wife did a "stress test" (long story), I was surprised how well it held up.
Cyclesarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #45
KenDawg
Top Contributor

That looks sharp. Nice job!
Old 11-04-2012, 12:09 AM   #46
pacomutt
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDawg View Post
That looks sharp. Nice job!
Thank you.

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger
pacomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement