Front Tire Wear Results from VN2000 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Wheels and Tires

Old 10-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
drasm22

Default Front Tire Wear Results from VN2000

Just finished mounting a new Avon Cobra 150/80/16 front tire on my 2008 VN2000 Classic LT. It starts life with 10,003 miles on the odometer.

I bought the bike new in 2010 with 1.1 miles and wearing a set of Bridgestone Battlax shoes. At 4, 378 miles, the rear tire had to replaced; it was done. I replaced the front tire at the same time because it was cupping so badly.

After much research, I mounted a 205/60/16 General car tire on the back and a 150/80/16 Metz 880 up front. The General is wearing superbly; virtually no signs of wear. A package of Dyna Beads is keeping it balanced. The Metz wore evenly as well (Dyna Beads too) but I'm disappointed that it only lasted ~5,500 miles. I don't ride it hard but you wouldn't think so by looking at the tire. I've ridden on Metzler's for years and never had this kind of wear. The only thing I can attribute it to is the heaviness of the bike and the chip sealed roads common in my area.

This is my first Avon tire and I'm interested to see how well it performs. It's installed with a bottle of "ride-on" tire sealant / balancing goo which after fifteen miles feels just fine. Anyone else have experience riding on Avon's and/or long term experience with the sealant?
drasm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
whoaru99
Top Contributor

It'll be interesting to know the result, but I'm sorta a killjoy on tires. If the style/type of tire, bike, or driving style isn't significantly changed neither is the tire life.
whoaru99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
PatC
Lifetime Premium

I have see guys with V2Ks get 8 or 9 k out of a set of tires. My guess is it's more to do with riding style (acceleration, braking and cornering) and tire inflation than the bike itself.
light bar, 2" risers,
Isogrips, Fatbar crashbars,
offset hiway pegs, tank bib,
passenger floorboards,
new brake pedal, throttle lock,
Cobra Lowboy Shotgun pipes,
Baron's Big Air relocated right side,
tombstone tail light,forkbag,
detachable hard leather bags,
alarm, power port, clock,
and a cool cupholder
PatC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
Hockeyref
Top Contributor

I went to Avon Cobras from the OEM Bridgestones. Back tire only gets a couple thousand miles more, but the front has 13,000 miles on it and has more to go!!
Lots of chrome goodies, sagebrush engine guard chaps for cold days in Manitoba, Rumble Road speakers, Garmin gps, tank bib, modified seat, Ohlins rear shock - best investment ever!!, locking saddlebags, Kuryakyn luggage, brake-away cruise control, and more stuff every year.
Hockeyref is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement