OEM rear tire ...squirrely - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 11-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
Vulcan Rayman

Default OEM rear tire ...squirrely

I have 4,000 on my 900 Custom and original factory Dunlop tires. The tires look new, so no problem with tire wear. However, the rear tire has become more and more squirrely over the miles. It has always been noticeable when accelerating out of a slow turn or downshifting into a very slow turn but now it is, slippery!! I inflated the rear tire to 38 psi for a better ride early on but I think it is time to go back to 32 psi and see it that helps. Otherwise something else is wrong or I need new tires.

I am open to suggestions or opinions. Just don't tell me not to downshift in slow turns. lol
thanks

__________________________ 2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Vulcan Rayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
siriusjoe
Banned

When was the last time you checked the tire pressure?
siriusjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
Vulcan Rayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusjoe View Post
When was the last time you checked the tire pressure?
I am always checking tire pressure...rear tire is at 38 psi and I confirmed that today.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
SteveJB
Top Contributor

Make sure you have the rear wheel aligned correctly. It doesn't have to be off by much to make the bike get weird in the corners. That said, start looking at new tires now. Once you've passed 4k on the OEM dunny, it's going to melt away like warm butter. Easily the worst tire I've ridden. At 4k mine looked about half gone. At 6k I had no tread at all over easily half the width of the tread area. When I traded in my first Metz at 14.4k I had visible tread all the way around the tire and it never felt like I was riding on worn rubber. Good luck workin it out, and ride safe!
SteveJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
Vulcan Rayman

Does matching the marked lines on the rear fork (both sides same) line up the tire, also?

Old 11-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
Infinite_Day

Garage

This may be inappropriate but I'm not proper - are you a heavy guy? If so you may want to up the pressure a little more. I doubt that's the problem though. I only rode on the stock tires for maybe 100 miles and they were damn near worn out but I could still tell they were crap. I put a set of Pirelli Rt. 66's on and the bike handles like a dream.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
whoaru99
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Rayman View Post
I am always checking tire pressure...rear tire is at 38 psi and I confirmed that today.
Are you sure the tire gauge is accurate?

Some of them are off quite a bit, and can change. Two weeks ago I threw away (broke in half first, for good measure) a pencil-style gauge that had gone off by about 5 PSI.
whoaru99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #8
C00lCountry

Have you made sure your wheel bearings are no play as well?
That would give a strange feeling as well.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #9
MINI NSX

The OM on my '09 V900 Custom says that rear tire pressure up to 215 lb. load is 28, not 38. Maybe that's your problem.
MINI NSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #10
Vulcan Rayman

I am 175lbs, I reduced it to 32 psi and will see how it runs. I road today but did not push it hard. I did notice it slip somewhat when I hit my rear brake at about 15 mph. I think it's the tire but not sure. I'M going to put it on the jack and check everything real good. I have 3 tire gages so I will try all three,also.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement