Question for 1700 owners - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700

Old 10-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #11
tmanv2krider

Don't drink, so I know for sure that's not an issue. I'll hopefully get some video sometime soon.
Head Work
Ball hone and re-ring
Torrington B-138
Arlen Ness Big Sucker
V&H Competition drag pipes
CV Performance carb kit
James, and HD gaskets
All done myself except the heads
Santee XLX Low Rise bars
J&P Cycles antique style grips
13" FXDX Shocks
Fork work w/ 20W oil
tmanv2krider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 07:50 PM   #12
Damo222

Yep i have the same noise on my Nomad.
Sounds to me like a bearing knock in the bottom end, bike seems to run ok its got 12000k's on it now. I have my suspicions that it may be fuel knock when you blip the throttle really quickly. Due to the built in delay these bikes seem to have. I gave mine the "throttle mod" treatment and seems to have reduced the incidence.
My bike has done it since new, but as i said it seems to run ok.
Damo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #13
vulcan 1700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo222 View Post
Yep i have the same noise on my Nomad.
Sounds to me like a bearing knock in the bottom end, bike seems to run ok its got 12000k's on it now. I have my suspicions that it may be fuel knock when you blip the throttle really quickly. Due to the built in delay these bikes seem to have. I gave mine the "throttle mod" treatment and seems to have reduced the incidence.
My bike has done it since new, but as i said it seems to run ok.
Yeah, my 1700 classic LT has had that internal knock on occasion since day one. 6000 miles on it, no problems so far.
vulcan 1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #14
R_W_B
Top Contributor

Don't know what kind of Knock you are talking about.

When you blip the throttle, does the engine stutter and hesitate ?

If so is this when you hear the clunk or knock ?

If you answer yes to both the above then, yes I have the same thing on my 2011 Nomad. It got worse when I put the throttle mod on it, prior to the throttle mod it mostly did nothing when I blipped the throttle, no rpm gain, just kinda nothing. The throttle lag is the result of Kawa's electronic throttle.

I have to gradually increase rpms before I blip the throttle or else I get a very detectable knock. Evidently the ECM is not able to deal with a fast increase of throttle from idle (resulting from the throttle mod).
R_W_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #15
Timberwolf2012

Default clunk

My 2010 Nomad does the same thing. Bear in mind those are large pistons slinging around. Because of the single pin crank design of this v-twin, if you goose the throttle from idle, you will get a "slap" from the engine. I don't think it is anything to worry about.
Timberwolf2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #16
R_W_B
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf2012 View Post
My 2010 Nomad does the same thing. Bear in mind those are large pistons slinging around. Because of the single pin crank design of this v-twin, if you goose the throttle from idle, you will get a "slap" from the engine. I don't think it is anything to worry about.
I'm not so sure on that Timberwolf (with all due respect). My previous Harley had a single pin crank (all Vtwins do) and I never got anything like that. I think it's the ECM timing and reactions to the throttle.

I try not to blip my Nomad since I'm afraid it's a pre-ingition knock. In normal engine (that's not worn out) there should be no piston slap or rod beaing knock.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:25 AM   #17
Damo222

RWB, i think we're all on the same page with this. I reckon you're spot on, i couldnt place what the sound reminded me of till you said PRE IGNITION knock.
Thats what it would be.
If the bike is idleing really low its more common.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #18
Timberwolf2012

Default knock

Ya it really depends on exactly what the noise is, hard to tell via a forum . My noise is not pinging, its just a lot of metal to get moving in short order when you goose it from idle. I was just offering an idea, opinion, I'm no expert
Timberwolf2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #19
R_W_B
Top Contributor

I've been concentrating on riding for while and my work schedule has been crunched. Soon I plan to install my new PCV w/Ignition. I don't have anything on the bike but Cobra Tri-Ovals, so I can't put in David's full blown (big air) map. But I'm gonna see if the Power Commander slip on map download takes care of this situation.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:26 AM   #20
Damo222

The noise reminds me of that pre ignition knock i used to get on my old cars when i turned them off and they kept running for a few seconds, like a clunking knock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement