Brand new 900 LT engine vibration - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 05-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #11
RBS2

Garage

I haven't really been over 70, but I've done a few rides on the highway to get to a friends house and while the wind was tolerable, I just got down more into a racing stance, I didn't notice much vibrations either. I've heard lots of people talking about handlebar vibrations, but I have yet to experience that. I did however notice my floorboards were vibrating and when I got to my friends house my feet were still vibrating!
  • Memphis Shades Zipper Pouch
  • Kuryakn ISO Grips - Black
  • Cobra Speedster Short Exhaust
  • K&N Air Filter
  • River Road Throw-Overs
  • Highway Bars
  • S&$T eating grins
RBS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #12
Strompilot
Top Contributor

Never noticed any handlebar vibes at any speed, but the footboards get some at speeds over 70. Funny thing, though, after a few miles at that speed, it doesn't seem to be a problem and I just ignore it. True, the 900 isn't a great freeway blaster, but then, we tend to avoid the slab whenever possible. Nice thing about being in Alaska--there's not much in the way of a freeway. Short one south of Anchorage before the Seward Hwy turns back into a 2-lane, and 40 miles north on the Glenn Hwy to Wasilla where it becomes a 2-lane, as well.

I just need a different windshield. I have the largest Memphis Fast shield and above 55 mph, I get some bad buffeting. It's too bad, because I like the quick-disconnect shield feature. I don't get the same thing on my wife's LT. Go figure.

'09 650 VStrom
Strompilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #13
King43

Between 65 and 75 is my V9D sweet spot. At 80 she starts to get buzzy at the seat of all places; I moved the shock from 4 to 5 and pumped up the rear tire from 36 to 40 so that may be part of the puzzle. But she doesn't "rattle"; is this a brand new bike or used? If it is brand new, almost sounds like there are bolts not all the way to spec torque; if it is used, could be the same. I found two of my bolts were not to spec. (http://www.kawasaki-techinfo.net/sho...1&lang_code=EN, pages 150 and 151).

I put factory lowers on and the difference was fantastic. I ride open-faced; before the lowers, at 55, the helmet started rising and the wind rush loud. Now, at 75, minimal helmet buffeting and I don't have to wear earplugs if I don't want. With the full-face and helmet to helmet communication, we can hear each other just fine; before it was crank the volume to overcome the buffer roar.
Stage III Stock Pipes - K&N Filter in Stock Box - Amsoil - 170/80 Kenda Kruz - Saddlemen Explorer - Willie & Max Windshield Bag - Mutazu Passenger Floor Boards - Shorai Heavy Duty Battery - Kawasaki Lowers - Black Universal Trunk mounted on Mutazu Rack - Osram 70/65w Plus 50
King43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #14
oberuwe

Update on my 900 with engine vibration.
Dealer took bike back for test's, made some adjustments, but still the vibration around 65 to 70 makes it for a uncomfortable ride, traded bike into a vulcan nomad 1700, I am very happy now.....
oberuwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:49 AM   #15
tang56

+1 on the lowers!! I made my own, because I'm a cheep redneck mod guy!! BIG improvement on my classic Lt!! I think the op did the right thing. sound like he just needed more bike!!

Last edited by tang56; 05-17-2012 at 09:52 AM.
tang56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #16
Strompilot
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberuwe View Post
Update on my 900 with engine vibration.
Dealer took bike back for test's, made some adjustments, but still the vibration around 65 to 70 makes it for a uncomfortable ride, traded bike into a vulcan nomad 1700, I am very happy now.....

Sounds to me like there must have been something seriously wrong for it to vibrate the way you described it. While there is a small amount of buzziness at higher speeds, it's never intrusive, and, like was stated earlier on, after awhile you just don't notice it. It is an "open" bike, so there will be some wind buffeting, but not through the frame, etc.. IMO, that heavy a vibration, as you described it is not normal and your dealer's response suggests his service people aren't as knowledgeable as they ought to be. Sounds like you made the right choice in letting that one go. It's too bad, because the 900 is such a good motorcycle, all the way around. There's a reason it's one, if not the, most popular of Kawasaki's cruisers. But ya gotta be happy with what ya ride.

'09 650 VStrom
Strompilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #17
rick50

X 2 on the lowers. I don't have the vibration issues you guys are talking about but did have helmet buffeting above 65 mph. Homemade lowers cured that and only cost around 15-20 bucks and 30 minutes of time to complete.
rick50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #18
MJ 21A

Quote:
Hi Guys, just purchased a brand new 900 LT a week and a half ago, awesome ride, used to Suzuki boulevards, but like this bike way more.
After some driving around I noticed that a vibration from the engine gets really bad when exceeding 70mph, around 75 I am afraid that the bike is falling apart, I was be able to run my previous bikes way over 100mph with minimal vibration.
Called dealer and was told that it is "normal" on the 900, never owning a Kawasaki before I have to wonder if the dealer is trying to pull a fast one on me?
Any input would be appreciated, I really like the ride but it raddled so bad that it is not reasonable to keep the bike.:
Just read you got a 1700, good idea! The 900 is nice but not if you are looking to ride over 70 for any amount of time, it just revs to high (which makes it vibrate and feel like it may fall away- which it will not). I had 1500 and 1600 vulcans before my 900 I have now. The 900 is a great bike, and with mods will go 75/80 down the highway without the vibs, but its was never made for this type of riding, you where smart to move to the 1700. enjoy your bike!!!!!!!!!!! Some here may not agree about the 900 but having had the 900 (now) and the 1500 and 1600 vulcans, bigger is just better over 75 MPH, not that there is anything wrong with the 900, like I said it is a great bike.
2007, 1600 Nomad, Black and Chrome, Fairing/windshield w/Laminar lip, Cycle Sound Housing w/Stereo/GPS, Throttle lock/Assist, Handlebar raisers, HD chrome fork lowers, Head Light Modulator, Driving fog/spot lights, Trunk w/ top rack, backrest. Corbin Seat w/backrest, DeBaffled pipes w/valkyrie end tips, Intake, K&N air filter, FI2000, Top and side rails on bags. Foot pegs, Wolo horn, extra running lights in back, Some pinstriping and chrome to bring out the black.
MJ 21A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #19
bosco
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Hi Guys, just purchased a brand new 900 LT a week and a half ago, awesome ride, used to Suzuki boulevards, but like this bike way more.
After some driving around I noticed that a vibration from the engine gets really bad when exceeding 70mph, around 75 I am afraid that the bike is falling apart, I was be able to run my previous bikes way over 100mph with minimal vibration.
Called dealer and was told that it is "normal" on the 900, never owning a Kawasaki before I have to wonder if the dealer is trying to pull a fast one on me?
Any input would be appreciated, I really like the ride but it raddled so bad that it is not reasonable to keep the bike.:
Completely normal at 70mph. I decided to make the change to the ScootWorks front & rear pulleys a month or so ago. What a change.... Cruising at 70mph is smooth and comfortable (even stretched out the shifting to my liking). Well worth the $$$. Love getting on the freeway these days. This has been my favorite bike todate, just really like the size, feel, riding position. It's just fun.

2010 900 Classic
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:54 PM   #20
c58pino

Default I'm picking up bad vibrations...

I wish that I could sing "I'm Picking Up Good Vibrations" while I'm rolling on down the highway at 80 mph, but truth be told - I'm not. In January I purchase a left over 2011 Vulcan 900 Classic LT with 0 miles. Now I can live with the seat which is a pain in my @$$ after 50 or so miles and the engine revs at that speed but the level of engine vibration from 75+ is somethiing that is hard for me to understand or accept, considering that it has a 900 cc motor. My 2000 Kawasaki KLR 250(cc) seemed to vibrate less at that speed despite the fact I was pushing it ever so close to the red zone. Like the bike. Don't like the vibes at Interstate speeds.

Last edited by c58pino; 11-03-2012 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Sentence structure
c58pino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement