Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Problems with the 1500 classic

50K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  winstoncup 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello All,
I'm looking to buy a 1997 1500 classic and have been reading the posts. Seems as though their's problems with the oil pump gear, popping out of second gear and some other problems. Not so sure I want one now. Are their any other problems with this year bike? I'm looking at a 1997 classic with 9800 miles on it, they want $3000.00 for it. It seemed like a good buy till I started reading some of these posts. Please fill me in, is it a good bike? What are all the problems? What are some things to look for on this bike?

Axel
Here's the bike I'm looking at.
http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/1997-Kawasaki-Vulcan-1500-Classic-97509123

#2 · (Edited)
#3 ·
Found a 2004 1500 with 12,000 miles on it. How are the 2004 models? Are they pretty decent and what problems do they have? Looks like I could probably pick it up for about 3100 dollars. It doesn't come with any amenities though, no windshield, saddlebags, or sissybar. But it does have vance and hines pipes. Basically looking for a trouble free bike.

axel

#4 ·
The 'o4 is a great bike, at least mine is. 40k trouble free miles.

#6 ·
I was looking at a 1997 and their were to much on here that they were having problems with. So now I found A 2004 FOR $3100.00 BUT IT HAS NO UPGRADES EXCEPT VANCE & HINES PIPES. But I think it's a good deal, even without the all the other stuff. I just want a bike that I don't have to work on much. I have an older 1100 shadow now that's trouble free, with 75,000 miles on it. I've not had to do much to it. Just want something newer now, thats trouble free.

Axel

#7 ·
If the 2004 is in good shape, that sounds like a great deal. If they are kept up they will go for a LOT of miles without a lot of work. How many miles does the 2004 have ?

#9 ·
Axel,

Do some simple math on your upgrades... after you add up your cost for self install upgrades, pipes being about the only thing probably worth a dealer doing and that's done, you'll end up with your final investment... then look for bikes in that price range and see what you find...

I looked for a while and finally found an '03 with 2200 miles on it for $5900... I've got another $1000 in new tires, tune up and passenger pads... this should last me forever... its about value to YOU and what you are willing to spend in time and $$$ to get what you want... hth...

#10 ·
Problems with 1500 Classic & Nomads

The Costly Death of the NOMAD AGAIN!
Tuesday 01/12/10 at 5:15 am the NOMAD clocks up 40,000 kilometres.
Time for an oil change the first since fitting the Judges Steel Oil Gear, beauty the change over from the dreaded Plastic Oil Gear has worked time for some serious riding.
5:30 pm finished work NOMAD starts & runs like a dream. I can taste that first beer, the suns finally out after weeks of rain.
“WTF is that tapping! OMG oil lights on!" Clutch in KILL switch off. Fcuk
Pushed the NOMAD 5 kilometers home. NOMAD D.O.A. Oil Gear failure again!

No quick fix’s this time a rebuild is the only answer.

The Nomad shares the same motor with the Classic

Go for the 2004 Model

#16 ·
The Costly Death of the NOMAD AGAIN!
Tuesday 01/12/10 at 5:15 am the NOMAD clocks up 40,000 kilometres.
Time for an oil change the first since fitting the Judges Steel Oil Gear, beauty the change over from the dreaded Plastic Oil Gear has worked time for some serious riding.
5:30 pm finished work NOMAD starts & runs like a dream. I can taste that first beer, the suns finally out after weeks of rain.
“WTF is that tapping! OMG oil lights on!" Clutch in KILL switch off. Fcuk
Pushed the NOMAD 5 kilometers home. NOMAD D.O.A. Oil Gear failure again!

No quick fix’s this time a rebuild is the only answer.

The Nomad shares the same motor with the Classic

Go for the 2004 Model
Have just bought an 07 Classic with 25k prior to reading this DOH!
Was thinking of the JOG but that's obviously not an option.

How's it going at the moment?

#15 ·
#17 ·
1500 Problems

From 1987 through 1999, all Vulcan 1500 models, except the Drifter, were built with a plastic oil pump gear. Several Vulcan 1500s have experienced failures of these plastic gears, causing varying degrees of damage to their engines. To date, Kawasaki has repaired every Vulcan, in the United States, that has experienced a failure of the oil pump gear, whether in or out of warranty. Our international brethren have not faired as well as it seems Kawasaki has not been consistent in it's policy, country to country. Failure rates have varied from model to model. Few failures have occurred on 1500A models, while the 1500 Classics have experienced a higher failure rate. It seems that Nomads are probably experiencing the highest failure rates. In total, the percentage of Vulcan 1500s experiencing the failures has been low, but, significant enough to cause serious concern among owners. Kawasaki Australia wasn’t interested.
JOG oil gear has worked for some but not in my case. Such is Life.
My NOMAD is currently under going a rebuild even though the motor it self hasn’t failed. The rebuild is necessary to change the oil gear.

#18 ·
Cheers Matt - I had a great ride today and was heaps more comfortable than on the Striple so am a cruiser-convert. Also kept me mainly under the speed limit.

If I've bought a lemon then so what, I guess - am committed to the concept you might say. It's kept me riding when my body's letting me down so it's all good.

If it sh1ts itself and I waste $7K then it serves me right for not doing my homework - at least I avoided the $28K Harley mistake and I can always get a V2K or later model.

#19 ·
Exhaust

I have a 2003 1500 classic, looking to add a little more rumble but not to the point of deafening the neibourhood, adored the sound I had with my previous 2002 Shadow Ace. what would you guys recommend for a nice,not over the top rumble at a reasonable price? I gather this will have some implications in regards to re-jetting the carbs?

#20 ·
Well, there are a few options out there depending on what you want to have for looks and sound... I had V&H on my last bike (Shadow) and I have Muzzy's on my Vulcan which are not as loud as the V&H, but are good looking and do sound great... no experience with Cobra pipes, but from what I gather should be similar to V&H...

PS> Muzzy does not make cruiser pipes anymore and I am thinking of going to V&H... pricing is ~$500 and up + installation depending on what you want... good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.