Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Walmart Oil Filter

53K views 201 replies 48 participants last post by  a340driver 
#1 ·
I noticed Wally World is selling a filter for our Vulcans. They are something like 8 bucks. Anyone use one yet? I can't remember the brand. Supertech maybe? Thoughts?

#158 ·
While I was sitting here watching a baseball game, I read all the posts about the Wallmart filters and Fram. Lots of stuff to laugh about. People realy like to bash others choices on what to use.
My last bike was a 950 tourer and I tried the Wallmart filter on the bike and noticed that for some reason the bike was louder and the engine made more noise. So I went and got the Yamaha filter, changed out the oil and the bike ran smoother and got quiet again. I also tried Rotilla T6 oil and noticed that after about 1,000 miles, the bike got louder, so I went back to Yahama lube.

Could have been just my bike or possibly got a bad filter. All I can say is with my new Nomad, I will for the time being, use the Kawi filter and their oil, whatever the price. After the bike breaks in, I will try Amsoil to see how well that works. Kawi doesn't manufacture oil nor do they make their own filters. But what I do know is if something goes wrong with my engine or trans, they can't say anything if there is a Kawi filter on the bike.

That is my 2cents!

One other thing, you don't have to bash people or call them names to get your point across. It's not necessary and is very disrespectfull to others. Use what products you want. It's your bike!

Reactions: MVisMarco
#159 ·
You got it my friend. Nothing wrong with some good natured ribbing OR a debate over what is good or what isn't, but the name calling I'll never understand. How, exactly, does one individuals choice on maintaining their bike affect you personally? So why do we TAKE it personally?

Now, I understand it doesn't feel great for someone to contradict you, so respond with facts or, if the situation calls, your opinion. Also known as, "discussing", no need to name call or bash one another on a personal level for disagreeing!

Reactions: MVisMarco
#160 ·
There used to be a big price difference between good, dino MC oil, and top line synthetic MC oil. But lately, it seems that even the good dino MC oil is only a couple bucks away from what someone like Bob can deliver Amsoil right to your door. And, even cheaper than getting something like Mobil1 MC from Wally world. I think I'm going to have to go for that next time around.
'Sides, it's good to support a sponsor!

#161 ·
I'm gonna do Amsoil this time around too. You're right, the price gap has really closed. And, it's worth the piece of mind and the extended drain intervals to run a full synthetic for a few bucks more. The cooler operating temps and quieter operation (according to other members) is a plus too. That's me though. If someone tells me they're going to run conventional automotive oil, I'll probably still be able to get to sleep tonight. Won't need a therapist over it or anything. I think I'll be able to handle it...

#162 · (Edited by Moderator)
It's so funny how much people spend on the accessories for these bikes! Some spend thousands on there bike making it personal to them. Then we talk about using a $3 filter. You just have to laugh about that!
I have had my bike for 2 weeks now, have only 145 miles on it because it has been raining every other day and already put the Kawi lite bar on the front. Spent $340 from my dealer, and am looking into other stuff for the bike. Because I am short, I feel I will soon be in need of lowering the bike so I can sit more flat footed when stopping. I even wear thicker sole shoes so I feel more comfortable. There went another $110.
The list goes on and on:):):)

#163 ·
It's so funny how much people spend on the accessories for these bikes! Some spend thousands on there bike making it personal to them. Then we talk about using a $3 filter. You just have to laugh about that!
Make no mistake, it was only the ignorant who were truly laughing. Those who actually did their own investigation or bothered to actually read and comprehend the evidence as it was offered were simply smiling knowingly. ;)

But, alas, no more SuperTech filters, so no more discussion (that is unless some newbie decides to once again revive an otherwise dead thread). :(

#164 ·
Well we like to spend money on the things we like!

Caught myself the other day. Had to buy 4 new tires for my car. I'm thinking "Man, I really wish I didn't have to spend $400 on 4 tires... that'll last me 70,000 miles or so..." Yet I spent EXTRA for a better tire for my bike, spent more than that on a SEAT for my bike... the list goes on and on :p

Maybe they just wanna save money for more chrome? :p

#166 ·
Nothing gets the discussions going quite like oil and oil filters. So, my late in the game input: I bought a Kawasaki filter and oil with my bike for the first oil change. After that one it will be Kawasaki or Wix filters and synthetic oil only on and in my bike. I am not interested in hearing from those who opine that I am wasting my money, it is my money and my bike. The synthetic oil has a very high chance of being the Kawasaki branded stuff which says on the bottle it is a blend of PAO and Ester oils. Sounds like pretty good stuff to me. Both the filter and oils were reasonably priced at the local dealership. BTW, I am a BITOG adict.

As for Walmart, I have no interest in anything they carry. They know why.

As for the orange can of death, I cut some filters open some time back. It was easy to see the difference from brand to brand. I am not saying a Fram will come apart and destroy your engine. I am asking, why pay a premium price for a very low quality filter? Even the Supertech was better. You will never see an orange filter on an engine of mine unless I just bought it and it came with it. Then only until the first oil change, which will come very soon.

#170 ·
Many thanks!

Many thanks to whoaru99 who sent me a couple of unneeded oil filters free of charge. The spirit of kindness and generosity shows often in this forum! It's good to be a member here.:)

#171 ·
So an e-mail notification arrives in my in-box with the title, "Walmart Oil Filter," and I get all excited. I mean, it's a dead-thread resurrection, so, obviously, someone has finally found a source of my beloved SuperTech oil filters or, at the very least, they are reporting that WalMart has announced that due to overwhelmingly popular demand, the SuperTech oil filter factory (surely there is/was a factory dedicated to the manufacturing of these superb pieces of automotive and motorcycle engineering) has, much like this thread, been resurrected.

But, no! It's a trick! Look away! It's simply one more complaint about another instance of poor dealer service. As if that's actually some kind of rare occurrence!?

C'mon, people, for the love of Willie G., let's try to keep this hallowed thread pure. If it doesn't directly relate to the revered, respected, reliable, robust, remarkable, righteous, rockin' SuperTech oil filter, then...oh, never mind, I am simply too deflated to care and I still don't know what to use for filter medium come my next oil change, which is all-too-quickly approaching.

A sad day this is.

#172 ·
...Still waiting for a verified case of Vulcan engine failure directly linked to non-oem filters (Fram, Super-Tech, etc...) or non motorcycle specific oil, such as Rotella. Until that happens....it's just arguing over apples and oranges.

#174 ·
BLASPHEMER! :eek:

#173 ·
First of all, using an inferior filter or oil probably will not lead to a sudden engine failure. On the other hand, the wrong oil can lead to serious clutch problems. Since that is not an engine failure it does not matter?

Some people are just too invested in pushing cheap and/or Chinese junk on others and too into getting offended because others won't fall for the cheaper is better line.

I use top of the line oil and filters in all my internal combustion engines. I also change my oil and filters too often. If that makes me a troll, good. If someone objecting to others being told cheap junk is not the best choice for their maintenance choices, or toaster choices, or whatever, makes them a troll, then I am a troll and proud of it.

As for me and my house, we will use quality.

#182 ·
I used to just be amused, but now I believe that you guys who lie awake at night worrying about the oil and the oil filters that you're buying for your bikes are truly, genuinely, nuts! How many of you had had a prostate check in the last five years? How many of you know who your state congressmen are, and what they're going to be voting on next? How many of you know who your daughters are talking to on Facebook or other social sites? Really? Oil filters? Really?

#183 ·
Careful there Paco how you wield words that are general or inclusive in nature or you will offend someone who reads our posts after us. This was pure amusement for me just like all of the countless other posts on here from people getting overly serious. The funniest part was the guy flipping off the Fram filter as if it were a sentient being and before that being in danger of cutting his own fingers off while using a giant oversized cumbersome bandsaw to cut the unyielding Fram filter top off. The other filters capitulated easily to the saw so no wonder dude got pissed and flipped off the Fram!

#188 ·
Better make myself clear here before anyone tries to take things personal instead of as a joke like I intended.

Number 1: F'ing damned straight I enjoy bikes, women, guns, whiskey and beer as much as the rest and probably even more. I'm wild and crazy that's for sure.

Number 2: I was talking about Bubba's wife. I intentionally left the joke open-ended to see if anyone would be able to think logically that there is NO DIRECT reference as to whose wife it was that I may be referring to. It's a baiting technique to catch those who assume that there is only one view to anything and everything.

Have a good day fellers! :D I'm out to ride and shoot today and after that I'm stopping at a bar to pick up a chick. Dead serious!

#189 ·
to each his own

Comanche, we don't all have the same outlook as you do - basically "pissing in the wind" to see if you get wet ! Some of us take the posts & opinions on this forum seriously, not for amusement. I didn't waste my time watching any of the videos, & agree with Pacomutt about Fram. They have never caused any oil related problems in my vehicles, or my dad's for about the last 40 years or so. I do use other filters, such as AC Delco, Bosch & Honda. So I guess what I am trying to say is if someone is bashing your favorite firearm, maybe a Ruger, or S&W, or Winchester or whatever - you might be disagreeable, too. As I noticed you are a Marine, Sir, I salute you & respect you - and am not offended by your comments about beer, women, etc. But this forum does see alot of views by guys like me - don't drink anymore, am a one woman man ( for 24 years) but also like to properly maintain my bike & ride safe. God Bless

#190 · (Edited)
Comanche, we don't all have the same outlook as you do - basically "pissing in the wind" to see if you get wet ! Some of us take the posts & opinions on this forum seriously, not for amusement. I didn't waste my time watching any of the videos, & agree with Pacomutt about Fram. They have never caused any oil related problems in my vehicles, or my dad's for about the last 40 years or so. I do use other filters, such as AC Delco, Bosch & Honda. So I guess what I am trying to say is if someone is bashing your favorite firearm, maybe a Ruger, or S&W, or Winchester or whatever - you might be disagreeable, too. As I noticed you are a Marine, Sir, I salute you & respect you - and am not offended by your comments about beer, women, etc. But this forum does see alot of views by guys like me - don't drink anymore, am a one woman man ( for 24 years) but also like to properly maintain my bike & ride safe. God Bless
SS, that's exactly what I was talking about when I said about people assuming. Too many people including yourself just now have assumed things based on what I just wrote even though I was very clear here. To be specific, you are assuming things about me with your comments and your pissing into the wind diatribes.

I actually conveyed that what was amusing were people taking things way too serious (ergo the videos) and that there are people always trying to assume and do what you suggest. SS, this sure isn't me so you need to go somewhere else with that. I am the type of fellow who will stare into someone's soul and give them point blank truth like a double ought shotgun so there are no airs with me. I am direct and to the point friend. I also said nothing pro or con about any specific brand or that everyone has to agree or disagree with me about anything so again you assumed this about me. I could care less what people choose to do with their rides or the input anyone gets on here off anyone because in the end it is not up to me, you or anyone else to make anyone else's decisions.

Appreciate the respect and I give it freely to anyone (in fact many on here) along with humor but don't try to hide disrespect with feigned respect since all it equates to is someone being glib at the very least. By you assuming I am being amused by you all without being serious is a serious mistake on your part or you thinking that my joke was to offend. If you want to be offended for something genuinely real then I can do that but don't try to find offense where there is none. God Bless you too but if you were serious about that too then you would keep an open mind and try to see where the logic is as opposed to just trying and finding something or someone to fault.

#191 ·
Okay Comanche, my apologies for seeming glib & disrespectful - it seems we both need to defend our comments. Your recent posts appeared to aim at amusing others; mine were more focused on the filters/oil videos. We all have our life's experiences & it was not my intention to attack your viewpoint. My comments about respecting you as a veteran & "God Bless" were 100% serious. No offenses here; Maybe my future dialogue can be more open-minded.

#196 ·
OK, so what filter should I buy again? Just kidding, I'm no mechanic and have never turned a wrench on my 900 (other than to tighten loose fasteners and such) and probably never will. Take mine in the the dealer to have service checks and maintenance performed. Lively discussion though and I enjoyed reading the posts.

#197 · (Edited)
Brought my snowmobile in to the dealer to have it all checked out and made totally ready for this winter. All fluids changed, belts, hoses, bearings, clutches, etc. checked and brought up to spec. It's going to cost me a fair bit of change but I wasn't interested in doing it myself this time around. No shame in that.

The only point I'm bummin' about is that I could have picked it up Saturday morning but didn't. This time around the weatherman was right....and we have about 12" of nice, fresh snow but my ready to rock and roll sled is locked in a shop 35 miles away.

#200 ·
the purolater filters are really good. walmart-$4. what i use. vn900 number is 14612. may be the same for other vulcans too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.